Have any of you ever....

chrisf

Over 1,000 Posts
Have any of you guys building these bikes ever taken them off road? Well, I ask that but I suppose there are street trackers and dirt trackers. So what are you guys building? Seems like it would be easy to set up an ad hoc dirt track.

FWIW, I did 85mph on the salt, and it was surprisingly scary. I also did the dirt tracker foot plant and went round-and-round in circles. That was pretty fun–even on a cafe racer.

--Chris

Didn't you say you pissed off some of those salt flat guys when you were out there?
How'd that go down?

Oh man, you don't want to know. Let's just say the feds got involved. I really can't elaborate more :( sorry.

--Chris

Already ahead of you. Found an MX track with a "Vet" course that's supposed to only have minor jumps. I'm also looking for traditional circle tracks in the area. I'm not taking my bike until I have some proper tires though-already played around a bit and it's too squirrely :eek:

I actually have a field right next to my house where I could throw my CB360 around in...but I haven't.

The bike ain't exactly light, and that's whats got me worried. I'm used to those little 290lbs 150cc MX bike that have knobbies.

Either way though, one of these weekends I'm gonna take her to the field.

Not really 'off road' but dirt road excursions are a common chore for my KZ650... Just something about counter steering into a corner wound out in third with my leg out is insanely fun! I'm really surprised I haven't biffed it yet...

9618_1220776925608_1414479908_645686_2361580_n.jpg

Chris, as soon as I bought mine and cleaned out the carbs I took it out on some trails by my house. Mind you I still have a rotten knobby on the back and a "trials" tire up front. It's a light 175cc but the front tire wanted to slip and slide through every bit of wet grass, mud, slimy logs, etc. In the long run, I'd like to get the bike mostly stock but looking pretty and still be able to hit the dirt every now and then.

Club I used to be in (Mid-Glamorgan Motor Club) used to run a 'Scramble' every Easter Monday.
(Club was formed in 1927 but I didnt know about it until 1974-I'm not that old ;D)
I got involved with running of club (secretary, treasurer, committee, etc) so had 'special' priveledges ::)
I took my CB550 round the motocross course once, mainly because I was told it wasn't possible.
I didnt like 'The Big Hill'. (particulaly going down it)
There were a couple of thousand people there so after I started I had to finish. ::)
Luckily I had ace bars and not clip-on's on it which were a little bit higher ;D
Didnt crash or fall off which was main concern ;) :D
I've also done 'over the ton' at Pendine Sands, may have some pics of that somewhere.

PJ

my cb400f actually handles okay on dirt, I found out when I got lost in the back roads in the finger lakes here, road turned to dirt and somehow I took a wrong turn going back. once I got used to the sliding feeling, it wasn't too bad

Ganaraska Forest...East of Toronto around Mosport .......

Avon Roadriders didn't like the mud and 3 inch deep sand took my time and enjoyed the view,got alot of strange looks from all the wheeling dirt bikes

Attachments

• aa11.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 406
I have a CJ360 back in highschool and it seemed logical at the time to flog it down some trails.
Well....perhaps not logical.....
Didn't get far.

Lately I've been having a hankering for a somewhat uprated take on a 60's scrambler.
Longer travel suspension ,not motocross tall but more compliant and higher travel. Allow rims, decent dual purpose tires, high pipes, skid plate etc.

Something that can really be ridden on logging roads and light trails but still be decent to flag back and forth to work....

Oh, I almost forgot about this, 1977 CJ250 with a 391cc conversion I invented (plus a bunch of otther modifications)
Had a spare set of wheels with dual purpose tyres for off roading

PJ
1977CJ250.jpg

Heres one of my latest conversions
It was a cheap non running GL400/CX 500 clone, now has a Yamaha dirt bike front end with CB400 clocks, & a mixture of Ducati sidecovers, Moto Guzzi fork covers , BMW G/S front fender & fairing , Triumph rear fender & Suzuki custom seat ,that Im still playing around with to get the foam shape right,before I cover it
It also has a custom made 2 into1 with alloy can & a K&N filter
I painted it to resemble a Paris/Dakar style off roader

Attachments

• GL ADV Roberts Rd 2 .jpg
    98 KB · Views: 358
  • GL ADV Roberts Rd.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 361
eurodave said:
Heres one of my latest conversions
It was a cheap non running GL400/CX 500 clone, now has a Yamaha dirt bike front end with CB400 clocks, & a mixture of Ducati sidecovers, Moto Guzzi fork covers , BMW G/S front fender & fairing , Triumph rear fender & Suzuki custom seat ,that Im still playing around with to get the foam shape right,before I cover it
It also has a custom made 2 into1 with alloy can & a K&N filter
I painted it to resemble a Paris/Dakar style off roader

I gotta say I really do like that. With the stock ground clearance the CXs started with, it makes for a very do-able adventure bike.

I also find that other member's 200 big bore rather interesting too, with the pipe and all.

Back
Top Bottom