Bonneville 2016

Hoofhearted

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I'm back a few days now and between unpacking etc. I neglected to post here. Mainly to say a big thank you to Ichiban for his support. I'm afraid I didn't do him justice. I've put a supercharger on the Weslake and having a lot of fun trying to get it right. Had a lot of fun and for a brief moment it ran like a rocket.

After El Mirage I set it up over rich. Bonneville being another 3200 ft. higher than where I am it was ridiculously rich. Leaning it and leaning it we got it to where it sounded crisp so lets make a run. Took off like a scalded cat. Pulled hard to about 130 and hurt the piston again. But for that brief moment it showed what is there once I get it sorted out. I think once its sorted there is 145+ in it. Not spectacular in this day and age but the Weslake is a 30+ year old 540cc pushrod single.

The wait to run was longer than usual. Blame that on a two year cancellation of the event due to the weather. Over 650 entries. Regardless we had a great time and can't wait to get back next year.

Here are a few photos from the week.

Nice update and pictures. What you are doing is impressive and a shit load of work! When you get it sorted out that new record will feel that much better.

Thanks Jimmer. It started out as a lark. An idea while I was laying on the couch. Now its starting to be work. But still fun. When it stops being fun I'l stop.

The supercharger is an Aisin AMR 300. Two rotor rootes type but straight vanes. Not helical like a rootes. 300cc per revolution. Its a draw through like several other set ups. Right now its a 45mm Mikuni carb. I'm looking at EFI but to tell the truth I don't know squat about them. I just got an email from Ecotrons about their EFI and have yet to figure it out. Bill Cody of speedway fame has been telling me about mechanical fuel injection ala Hilborn. He apparently does a mechanical fuel injection for Jawas that could be easily adapted to the Weslake. For now the carb sticks out in the sidecar. Nowhere else to put it where its accessible. 20% overdrive gives 6 lbs boost at 2500 rpm. As I said for a moment at Bonneville it gave me a glimpse of what's there when I figure it out. With the carb when I would shift into fourth it would pull but very gently (very tall gearing). But this time fourth felt like first. It just rocketed and I thought damn! if I'm going three miles I'm going to need more gearing. A nice feeling that I want to get back.

stroker crazy said:
Don't think you can draw through with a supercharger - but we certainly could do with a few more photos of the setup!

Crazy

Yup. It works.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.anderson.5/videos/10205233838952317/

I was out there yesterday, said hi to Valerie Thompson, she'll try to make a run today. Looked for you, didn't see ya.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    825.8 KB · Views: 214
I was at SpeedWeek. Finances don't run to BMST as well. Plus I broke it at SpeedWeek. Searching out parts now. I saw Valerie made a test run yesterday. 161 and chutes out. She said today she was going to make another run. The best of luck to her. Lets us know how she is doing. And what about Mark Bjorklund???

A friend of a friend was there with Sodium Distortion, he built a blown/Injected CR500 motor. Apparently they did well. Looks like a ton of fun!

runmikeyrun said:
A friend of a friend was there with Sodium Distortion, he built a blown/Injected CR500 motor. Apparently they did well. Looks like a ton of fun!

It is a ton of fun!! I talked with the Sodium Distortion guys on another forum a couple of years ago. Never got to meet them but they build some nice stuff.

Back
Top Bottom