KZ550 bob/Cafe almost there!!!

Re: KZ550 bob/chop/cafe?

That is going to be one sweet ride, I love the tail light and the pipes. I've been banging my head about what type of light I could incorporate into my seat pan. Dang, wish I had thought of that. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Hey thanks Redneck. Swung by my buddy who has painted for years at local and custom shops last night. dropped off the tank and seat pan. He's one hell of a cool dude. My normal paint choices are: Black, black, black and usually add a little black in there somewhere. So, for this build I've decided to break out of the Triple Black threat and I gave him some free reign to design and play with. I know it will have black in it because I'd like to tie in the headlight and engine blacks....and he told me to get the tires off the wheels and bring them by too! So I'm back to working on the frame today to finish things up the best I can before I send it out. Still haven't decided on the powder choice though...and if I want the swingarm also powdered to match or not yet...thanks for watching gents.

MotorbikeBruno said:
Hey thanks Redneck. Swung by my buddy who has painted for years at local and custom shops last night. dropped off the tank and seat pan. He's one hell of a cool dude. My normal paint choices are: Black, black, black and usually add a little black in there somewhere. So, for this build I've decided to break out of the Triple Black threat and I gave him some free reign to design and play with. I know it will have black in it because I'd like to tie in the headlight and engine blacks....and he told me to get the tires off the wheels and bring them by too! So I'm back to working on the frame today to finish things up the best I can before I send it out. Still haven't decided on the powder choice though...and if I want the swingarm also powdered to match or not yet...thanks for watching gents.

So, just so I'm clear on things your going with Black, right? ;D

Cafe Redneck said:
So, just so I'm clear on things your going with Black, right? ;D

Haha, it WILL have black in it....but he said he would put his version of it on there etc...so I really am not sure what I'm getting. He's a cool dude and he's doing it for dirt cheap because I'm getting married in Jan....the funds have all found their way to other people's pockets for now :(

So, onto the "boring stuff" hahaha. Wheel bearings!

Not so bad...I mean well the bearing is toast...but could be uglier..
KZprojectpic103wheels.jpg

DEAR GOD WTF IS THAT!?? I think I saw it move! hahaha.

KZprojectpic104wheels.jpg

Nice lines on this bike man! It all just looks "right". The idea for the taillights is great, too. I really dig the whole tail though.

Well done!

Thanks t71ford, coming from you, that's a hell of a compliment. The amount of work being done to your ride is amazing, I check in every time there's an update because of the awesomeness! haha.

Some updates.

Started polishing the outer lip on the front and rear wheels. (pics to follow soon)
Powder guy pointed out some things to fix and clean up before powdercoating so they don't show up too obviously (d'oh)
Ordered a weld in, pop-up filler for the gas tank. So it will be flush mounted and cool 8)
Sold a nighthawk I had to pay for the paint/more parts/powder and tires. Which reminds me..wtf should I get for this thing?
Still on track to finish before the wedding Jan 20th! ::) haha

Here we go. More updates! I know I know you are saying to yourself...how can he post updates when nothing is getting done right? Well fear not, as the frame is not in my possession any longer...its at the Powdercoater! Getting some nice metallic silver! So, without any further babbling...here are more pics...(as if I wouldn't post some as usual...)

Pop up filler cap. Steel bung, Aluminum cap with knurled edges, and has vents. I'll show more pictures when its on the tank.
KZprojectpic105BUNG.jpg

Got me some clip-ons...so this can be changed...
KZprojectpic106triple.jpg

To this!
KZprojectpic107triplecut.jpg

More Updates next week when I get the frame back!

good update. whered you get the filler cap? you just cut out the old with a torch? and weld the new one in? then grind it clean?

Hey Bruno,

Your tail looks really good, nice details and lines. Not so sure about those clip-ons though..
I liked the mx-style bars a LOT, but that's mostly due to my ignorance/hate against every godforsaken jackass using them telling people he has a "caferacer".
Then again, overall it looks cool when you're sitting on it's by far no caferacer at all so you've got my benefit of the doubt till now haha

Keep em coming!

Filler cap was from ebay. I obviously haven't "used" it yet, so I really do not know how well it's made. But can say that I'm happy with it's construction. Cut the old, weld the new (gave it to my tig welder friend....since it had to be 'pretty') I haven't seen it on to be honest...wedding stuff getting in the way.

Bert, I really liked the superbike bars too. But when I looked at it from the side, the lines just really didn't do the bike justice. And to be honest, it really wasn't all that comfortable. That said...I'm on my RSV1000 so I'm used to leaning over a bit ::) So I felt like the KZ was bobber up front, and whatchamacallit in the back...now it's all Whatchamacallit 8) I too agree that it's not a cafe really, but I can't really seem to find a place for it :( haha. All I know is it was really fun to ride (the insanely short amount I did while tuning) and sounds amazing. Thanks for the comments gents. I'm out of town all weekend so I'll be thinking of what to do with the paint...ugh...it's so completely daunting to me.

Oh geez....FINALLY GETTING THIS DAMN THING BACK TOGETHER. (sorry i'm a few beers and bloody knuckles in..) This is my first build ever, so also my first frame that got powdered too. I thought it would "hide" more, but I learned my lesson, make everything PERFECT before I send it out. The photo doesn't show the imperfections so I guess I'll shush :-X

Here we go, more pics! Enjoy.

What the shock looked like just after I pulled it apart.
KZprojectpic111shockpaint.jpg

Rear wheel
KZprojectpic110wheelspaint.jpg

Rear wheel (other side)
KZprojectpic109wheelspaint.jpg

Frame with rear wheel back on, and engine in!
KZprojectpic112halfdone.jpg

And just tossed the bearings in the front wheel and painted the crummy part of the front disc.
KZprojectpic113frontwheel.jpg

Thats all for today. The future wife (this coming Friday :) ) has a potroast ready for me!

Frame and wheels looking great. Congrats on the wedding. Any word on when the tins will be back from paint?

Thanks gents! Yeah he was finishing up the "body" work that needed to be done, sent me a pic of the filler cap after being welded up. (i'll get that off my phone and see if I can get it on here today). I told him the only thing was that it had to be done by Wednesday! I gave him some colors and styles to do, but a hot rod dude that he knows came to pick up his car the other day and said he'd do some pinstriping and stuff....so I'm not even sure what I'm going to get anymore! haha. He's doing it as a wedding present because I'm financially tapped out from the wedding so I will not be complaining one bit ;D Going to be getting the front end back on today (I hope).

Re: KZ550 Feeling good!

Just did the neck bearing races. I buggered up the lower space in the neck when I pounded out the bottom race, but it was past the spot where the new one sits so it's all good! 8) Went in surprisingly easy for all the horror stories I hear. Also, searched for about an hour to find how to get the bottom pressed on race from the clamp itself...several people were like...use a dremel, both sides, then smack it again. So I did that, and what do ya know, it came right off! ;) Here's the pics of that endeavor. Now to blast and repaint the fork triples and get the front end on!

Top race
KZprojectpic114Neckbearings.jpg

Bottom race (yes it sits that far in, I checked with many others on this!)
KZprojectpic115Neckbearings.jpg

And here is a pic of that lower triple after grinding the race off. Probably the only picture of a KZ550 triple that shows it! haha
KZprojectpic116Neckbearings.jpg

I skipped many pictures...but here are the two that were most worthy of tonights progress!

Greased tapered bearing ready to get put on the bike!
KZprojectpic117Neckbearings.jpg

Bike partially back together...gots me a roller again!
KZprojectpic118ROLLER.jpg

More to come shortly...as it needs to be done before Thursday for the wedding. Well, minus the electrics for the sake of time and because of rules at the place we are getting married at, (they won't even let me hook up a battery for the led's or anything.. :mad:)

Lookin good, They did a great job on the frame. Come friday you'll have to start splitting your time with the new wife. My wife and I have good arrangement. Friday I spend all day with bike, Saturday I spend all day with wife, Sunday I split time between bike and wife.

Looking good bro. I know you gotta be pumped to have wheels on it again.

Back
Top Bottom