ODB's Identity Crisis XS650 Cafe build?

bryanjnkns

Been Around the Block
I've been lurking long enough, figured it was about time to start my build thread. Originally I was going to build a cafe cb350f, but then I came across this.
46b9ce8c-a14a-f706.jpg

I couldn't find a motor for the 350 anyway so it's good timing I guess.

Here it is after a couple hours.
46b9ce8c-a1fc-51d6.jpg

When I spoke with the previous owner, he said it was running just fine then one day wouldn't start. I figured it had something to do with the electrical or charging system because of his hack job, that and it wouldn't be out of the question for these 650s. But I had good chuckle when I found this.
46b9ce8c-a343-9f87.jpg

My plan so far is to switch out the charging system with a perm mag alt. Re-wire the entire thing and focus on just getting it running.

"Old Dirty Bastard" XS650 brat style budget build

Progress...a little anyway. Finished up the banshee swap. Now just waiting for the pamco ignition and a few other odds and ends.
46b9ce8c-f4fd-e36e.jpg

Re: "Old Dirty Bastard" XS650 brat style budget build

Shiny flywheel. Did you blast it or buy it new?

I bought it new. It was actually cheaper than buying it used.

Pamco ignition came in....it was going great until I over torqued the nut on the advance rod and broke the tip off.
46b9ce8c-af69-1778.jpg
46b9ce8c-af76-4504.jpg

(shitty pics)

But I think I can still use it. It broke pretty clean and there's still enough thread left for another nut.
46b9ce8c-affa-8612.jpg

Decided to go ahead and use what I had. There was plenty of good thread left on the rod. Also got the new coil mounted and wired up. Its coming along slowly, but at least its coming along.

Also go some new bars on the way.
650-08215_100.jpg

I'm interested to see what you think of the PAMCO.

Many guys say its the single best upgrade you can do on the XS650.

My bike currently starts on the second kick and runs pretty well...I'd imagine it'd run even better on an electronic ignition. Better MPG too..

PHeller said:
I'm interested to see what you think of the PAMCO.

Many guys say its the single best upgrade you can do on the XS650.

My bike currently starts on the second kick and runs pretty well...I'd imagine it'd run even better on an electronic ignition. Better MPG too..

I'm interested to see what I think about it as well. Lol
It'll be another couple weeks before I can fire her up. :( Waiting on more parts. I did manage to get the coil mounted.
46b9ce8c-faa1-3600.jpg

46b9ce8c-fac5-a513.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress goin on. Got some shocks and put on the tank and fender for mock up, to see how she sits. Undecided whether or not I should lower the front.
46b9ce8c-7bbc-9f4d.jpg

46b9ce8c-7bc9-77a4.jpg

Still waiting on handle bars, controls and wires.....

I need to do the banshee swap my self... Good job man.

Thanks man. I've hit a couple snags along the way, but who doesn't. The handle bars finally came in but they weren't exactly what was advertised so I returned them. The carbs need to be gone thru again(my fault, did a half assed job cleaning them). And since I've decided to sell off my cb350f cafe project, this will now be going cafe.

I'll be keeping an eye on this build also. I'm interested in seeing how the coil mount works for you. Here's a pic of how I mounted mine.

I'm currently working on a '79 myself. Have not done the PMA swap yet, still trying to sort the wiring. I hate electrical.

Attachments

• ultimate coil mount.JPG
    ultimate coil mount.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 410

Would love to see some details on the Banshee swap. Next rotor that fails on me will make me want to go that route.

The banshee swap was a breeze. The hardest part was filing down the woodruff key. Course I don't know if it functions quite yet, so we shall see.

After diving into the carbs a little further, I found out the PO mixed and matched a few earlier model parts in these type 2 BS38s. While still retaining stock jetting. I don't know how he got this thing to ever run right.
46b9ce8c-080f-0aa8.jpg

46b9ce8c-0821-a599.jpg
46b9ce8c-0834-edc0.jpg

But I've something special planned for it now. Hehehehe

Wow, gotta love PO's, lol.
Can't wait to see how this turns out, lots of XS650's being built all a sudden. Seemed to me this time last year there were only 3 to 5 XS650's on DTT.

Looking forward to what yer gonna do with the 1-2 intake. I have a big ol vm34 kicking around I wanna try patching onto mine. Might los out at th higher RPM's but who the hell revs the shit out of a XS anyways..

I'm hoping everything will fit nicely between the back bone and rear fender. If I have to i'l extend the swing arm, but that's only if it doesn't fit. I'll be running a flatslide, so it should be a bit smaller than the BS38s.

So, we're back to playing the waiting game...

Back
Top Bottom