Hydraulic Brake conversion for the CB200, lets make a kit!!??!!

The kawi triple crowd have embraced the Kawasaki EX caliper, it fits nicely on a spoked wheel and can be had for about $30 on eBay
On a 400 lb. bike with a 1/2" M/C it's 2 finger operation.

E0EE2164-4150-43F3-A7A8-61DBD10EE97C-17464-00000CD8A47DF3EF.jpg

It's a much easier swap when you have mounts on fork leg, Honda used the same forks with drum brake so it's a little more involved but nothing insurmountable

Looking at some chinese moped calipers now.

I am just not sure how I would run my handlebar controls. I am currently running stock throttle and grip with controls for lights and kill switch.
Are there Master Cylinder brake levers out there with these controls and throttle all in one?

Steve from teh HondaTwins forum sent me this link, and told me this is the one he used when he went through this. Just need to create a bracket.

http://www.lifanenginepartswholesale.com/scooter-front-brake-assembly-front-brake-assembly-10-for-chinese-150cc-scooters-mopeds-p-12916.html

PJ,

The OEM CB200 mechanical disk looks like the caliper is mounted similar to the SOHCs and others with that floating/waving arm. Is there any way to graft say a CB500 or 750 or CB360 caliper and mount onto the leg? I don't have either to check on, but that might be easier than say an EX/SV swap with an adapter.

Going with a more modern caliper needs a different mount to pick up on the three places on that fork leg to be secure. One 8mm for strength and the two 6mm fender bolts to stop it rotating.

On a drum brake 200, the conversion is probably a complete Cb360 front end

I have a LOT of time on the mechanical disc from working at Honda dealers in the late 70's.
Everything is smaller than the 250/350/360/400/500/55 so it's going to need some dedicated brackets
I think it would be pretty simple if I had a caliper to copy, just thin down some 3/4" plate after drilling mounting hole and leave it long enough to mount whatever caliper you want

Nah, I think something that works is better than just looking cool, leave front as it is ;D ;D

crazypj said:
Nah, I think something that works is better than just looking cool, leave front as it is ;D ;D

I believe this thread got started with the "as is" being dodgy...

Dunno what happened, that 'as is' should have been in Rich-Ards XV750 thread ::)

Untold said:
Steve from teh HondaTwins forum sent me this link, and told me this is the one he used when he went through this. Just need to create a bracket.

http://www.lifanenginepartswholesale.com/scooter-front-brake-assembly-front-brake-assembly-10-for-chinese-150cc-scooters-mopeds-p-12916.html

Can these be used with the stock rotor? I just got a 1975 cb200t, and I'm thinking of converting rather than trying to make this brake work, but I don't have experience working on these at all.

PJ are the fork sliders the same with drum and disk on that 200? I have a set of 200 forks but no idea what year or what brakes it had. I'd need a wheel and disk to see what might work. I suspect you could come up with a solution faster than I can.

I'm not sure, I think the drum brake had a 'block' cast on fork bottom instead of a torque arm
The disc brake one will have a threaded boss about 2"below the mudguard bolt holes towards rear of slider
In Britain the 200 only came with cable disc

Is there a way to take the current mechanical brake and make it better without a conversion?

Re: Re: Hydraulic Brake conversion for the CB200, lets make a kit!!??!!

Texasstar said:
Is there a way to take the current mechanical brake and make it better without a conversion?
Not that I am aware of. On my 200 I ended up swapping the the front wheel to a cb175 so I have a drum set up now. I am going to look into changing to a more modern front end with hydraulic brake set up. But not going to get into that until the XS is finished.

How about fitting a whole front end from a cb350f/cb400f? 33mm forks will be a plus. Will need to check triple clamps and bearings for fitment. You can also swap the legs so the caliper is trailing mounted versus leading mounted. I always consider bigger models when upgrading forks on bikes I build anyway.

blackpants said:
Can these be used with the stock rotor? I just got a 1975 cb200t, and I'm thinking of converting rather than trying to make this brake work, but I don't have experience working on these at all.

He said that the rotor is a little thicker than the one that this caliper is meant for, so you just need to grind down the pads a bit, basically just sacrificing a bit of the pad wear. Mine just shipped out today, supposedly, so I'll be able to post pics when it arrives.

My 125 came (to me) with disk hydraulic brakes, I can take pictures if you guys want to try to figure out what the setup is off of....

Back
Top Bottom