2K paints and clearcoats?

crazypj

Split personality, I fake being smart
Hi All,

I haven't done any painting (except 'rattlecan') since the early/mid 80's
At the time I knew a couple of professionals who would help me out and even set things up to make life easier
Anyway, just about everything has changed, (two pack was 'newish' when I stopped HVLP spraying ;D )
I can't even remember tip sizes and pressures to use ::)
I did a couple of searches, I know a lot has been posted, I'm probably not using correct search terms (I'll blame computer for being stupid and not knowing what I want ;) )
I know there are some damn good and even professional painters here, can someone do a step by step, IN PLAIN ENGLISH?
I need to start using 'modern materials' instead of rattlecan ( I hate looking/sounding stupid when I go to a 'professionals' store)
Thanks
PJ

hey bud all depends on what paint you use for your tips, the tech sheets that come with the paint will always list not only the pressure but also the tip needed to spray that paint. a good mixing cup will cover your ratio's... one tip i have for your do not just get the cup and rely on that when your mixing... get a mixing stick that has the ratios on that... after you pour in a dark paint it is tough to see the ratio tables so a measure stick is great after you get your paint poured just lay that sucker in there and your golden... i like to thin out my last coat of color as well as clear, helps it to lay even smoooother. one key thing to check is recoat times! what kind of paint are you shooting. i typically will recomend a single stage to someone first time using a gun... the single stage black i like to use is Dupont Centari Single stage 99A you will need a reducer, and the $ part is the hardener! you need this to get a gloss finish on a single stage paint... super easy to work with... on 99% of the bikes i paint i will use a dupi color professional filler primer... in a rattle can, works great and then i spray my top coats... mainly cause i hate to clean primer from the guns... drives me nuts!

that is the paint i used on my fairings when i did the fiberglass work on my dyna... it is a tuff paint so it is very forgiving when you are wet sanding and buffing... basily the main advantage is you do not have to clear it... but if you shoot a 2 stage same process for the base and clear... highly sugest a booth... i have $ and cheap guns... hell i use a harbor freight gun alot and it works great! i wold recomend you use a test pannel to get you spray pattern how you feel comfortable... best way to learn how (and what i did) was you tube it... there is a ton of walk though on setting up your gun. hell i still review them when i spray. I like dupi color paints cause they are cheaper than house of color and some of the other bigger names. the only 2k paints i have shot are out of the cans and i have to say... they are awesome products! i shot a tank, cafe seat, and side covers for a fella not to long ago that i shot with the gun for the base coat and cleared with the 2k clear in the can... came out great... mind you i am pretty basic with my paint jobs, cause i do powder and like my powder to be the bling factor on my bikes... or ill airbrush work under the clear. I have only shot 2 colors with a gun one time and even then was just a 1/2 and 1/2 on the tank... came out ok... it was early in my painting though so every time i shoot i get a bit better each time. if you have any questions let me know... if i do not know i have a bunch of buddies that are amazing painters and have been doing it for ages... but to be honest... the very best help and tips i find are from the paint suppliers themselves (the store i buy my paint supplys from) those guys are a wealth of knowledge... my first paint job i walked in and said.... i have never done this and want to learn... they walked me though everything and it came out so clean

here is tha single stage black i was talking about after wet sand and buff
2hhduno.jpg

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Glad for some specific info 8)
I used measuring stick and measuring cups back in the day, going to have to buy some stuff
Ray had enough experience he could 'guess' quantities, although he weighed some mixes (the REAL expensive stuff)
I've used single stage, (30 yrs ago ;) ), think it's going to be more than adequate until I get something sorted out or start going 'upmarket' with bikes I'm building ::)
I know 'thinners' is now 'reducer' ;D

Back
Top Bottom