CB750 K6 Dutch Barnfind ( New pictures )

Tetter

CB500F Café / CB750 K6 / Kawasaki Z750
This Friday I visited a guy in my birthvillage whom was supposed to have a '76 CB750 in his barn which has been there fo about 7 years,. I did'nt know what to expect, a bunch of rust, ar a well preserved dusty bike.
It turned out to be a CB750 K6, which was "in the middle"
The "barn" was the back of the house, and it has been dry al those years.

The chrome parts are all rusty though.... the mufflers have holes,and the brake caliper is stuck, as is the clutch.
But, the bike has potential, the engine is not stuck and feels to have good compression.
It is complete, only the LH side cover is missing, and the tank is dented.

But I could get her for a very small price, and thus decided to go for it.

Some sneek previews, I will post more when I get her home and washed her.

Foto-3663IEVY-D.jpg

Foto-T47GJGWD-D.jpg

This is about the idea I have for her....original with a Café twist. (we all know that can change a thousand times this year ::) )

Foto-OUGXAHS4-D.jpg

Re: CB750 K6 Dutch Barnfind

Yesterday evening I brought the bike home.
In the pouring rain, which was the first rain the bike has had in 7 years ! It did wash of most of the spider webs and dust though ;)
Foto-Z4B4RAIO-D.jpg

small dent in the gastank .... :eek:

Today I spent an hour with a Brillo pad ( steelwire with some soap added ) to see what was under the layer of dust and other strange sticky stuff :eek:
Front fender.
Foto-8GELARJU-D.jpg

Part off the front rim
Foto-V78CIXUL-D.jpg

Exhaust
Foto-Z3HGC7CO-D.jpg

Removed the rack, looks better now, i;m happy with the bike, there is less rust than I suspected.
Foto-8OI8NVGT-D.jpg

Re: CB750 K6 Dutch Barnfind ( new pictures )

Get yourself a tube of the FLITZ polish it will be your best friend polishing the Aluminum and chrome.

Nice find ;)

+1 on the Flitz. Simple Green and an old toothbrush will help get the grim off too.

Looks like it's got some promise! I especially love four into four pipes.

Checked the web for parts, MAN are those expensive !?

Isn't there anybody who build a cafe out of a K6 and has some Fender, Cover and Tank leftovers ?

Today I removed the carb's.
Tomorrow I'm helping out my nephew buiding his engine in his CB750 K7 ehich is almost ready.
While working on the engine, the carbs get cleaned in an Ultrasonic cleaner. ;D

Also removed the brake caliper.
The piston was stuck, but after pushing it back it popped out with some airpressure.
The piston seems to be ok, just need to clean the holder, some minor oxidation, and mount a new seal.

Hey Tetter, i have a 750 tank you can have for free. inside if corroded but it might be salvagable.
Looks bigger that yours btw but who knows it might fit..

Kom em maar halen ;)

To clean the chrome, along with the polish mentioned, get some #0000 steel wool - the finest grade available. Great with some WD40 to clean chrome and won't leave any real scratches. Wouldn't use it on new show-chrome but I've cleaned many CB500/550/750 chrome parts with it.

Bert Jan said:
Hey Tetter, i have a 750 tank you can have for free. inside if corroded but it might be salvagable.
Looks bigger that yours btw but who knows it might fit..

Kom em maar halen ;)

I will !

Wanneer ben je thuis :)

Re: CB750 K6 Dutch Barnfind ( ALIVE !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

Had my carbs ultrasonic cleaned.... didn't even check the points or cleaned the spark plugs !
New fresh gas in the tank ....... Just 2 cranks and she ran !

Briljant

After the up comes the down :-\

Yesterday I was so happy she ran, only to discover today that I have a gear selection issue.
I knew the clutch was not working ( sticking I guess ) I discovered that in the barn already.

I put the bike in gear when I had it on the trailer and put it back in neutral to get it off.
Now after she ran I thought "let's see how the clutch is now" but barely could get a gear selected.
When I did, discovered the clutch stillnot working.

Now I cannot get it back in neutral anymore.........

Sound familiar ?

Long time no post..... :-[
Well a lot happened, but not that much.

Found the shifter problem, with the pedal you move an arm, in the arm there is ( or should be ) a spring.
I found my spring laying in the oil behind the cover.
After mounting it is ok now.

Started stripping for restauration, but all bolts etc are very old, rusted end not happy to loosen up.
Some break after I put first pressure on it, others go round, and need to be drilled out.
It took me over 3 hours to get of only 1 exhaust pipe.

But we will get there...
Now stripping for powder coating.

In the meantime i'm searching the net for parts.
The front and rearfender have heavy pitting in the chrome, the Tank is dented, and the side covers were cracked and missing.
I have now "won" the E-bay auction for an tank and cover set, painted and all.

Foto-V4LOP67I-D.jpg

Foto-7IY8PLN7-D.jpg

Nice score! And in the right color too!

Again long long time, no post.
The machine has been dismanteled in the meantime, and I scored a Guiliari seat. 8)

Same seat as this one
Foto-FXQ78EAY-D.jpg

Engine will be soda blasted ( will not be taken apart )
Just some small thing to do on the frame, and it's off to powdercoating.
I will send my rims along with the frame, not sure yet, but they are to bad to use as they are now.
Think it will look good though, The rest will be a total 'original" restauration.
Just with some ( rickmans or clubmans ? ) M- bars and a racy guiliari seat.

If i'm going with the black rims I'm also thinking about mounting an aluminium front and short rear fender with a smaller rearlight.

As last sunday my wife gave birth to our Son Niek, I have not done much this week....
We did have a look in the old family album to see "whom he looks after" :D and found this briljant pic of me on a Honda with a Café touch ;D too bad nobody knows where that helmet is today :eek:

Foto-YW67F76E-D.jpg

Spend some hours in de shed...prepping parts for powder coating, polishing parts for galvanizing, polished one of the front fork tubes.

Frame with behinf it the box off parts to go to powder coating.
Foto-3LMIL7PL-D.jpg

Polishing nuts and bolts, with a steelbrush. To get a better result in galvanizing.
Foto-ZVDXUA6U-D.jpg

After and before pick of the tubes.
Foto-YH8BUNUU-D.jpg

Hey Tetter,

There's this guy in Kampen doing ice-blasting on engines for 100 bucks. Better then sand or soda as water is not half as deadly as sand or soda in your engine. You should come by my new workshop btw! It's on the Marslanden in Zwolle zuid. Marsweg 55b. Cheers!

Have been ´restauring` parts these last weeks.

Frame is off to powder coating, engine and wheel hubs to the soda blasting guy. :eek:
I have rebuild the front forks, mounting new seals, and polisching the fork legs.
Repainted the `idiot light` holder, and the tacho and speedo housing, filled a whole in the headlight bucket and painted that as well.

The Guiliari seat.
Foto-ASIBJMYC-D.jpg

As you can see, it is a bit `dusty´ there is a film of dirt, paint spay, and what else on it.

Went to a local seat builder, really nice guy.
He had just the correct cure for the seat 8)

Here we had only tried it on the hump.
Foto-NE4GLY6N-D.jpg

It´s back to black 8)
Done the whole seat now, looks like new ::)

So the frame is ready at the powder coaters, going to get that soon 8)

Now the supplier of the "official" 4 to 4 exhaust has raised his price € 170,-
this got me thinking of a non original solution. Don't want to spend almost €1000,- on exhaust, when i'm not even sure how the bike run's.

So I have now 2 options.

Option 1 = 4 into 1 in very good condition )

Foto-SVE6G7VD-D.jpg

Heré's how it looks on a bike
Foto-BMETMKQQ-D.jpg

Option 2 is CR750 4 into 4 's
like these
Foto-KFAXPQFK-D.jpg

I really like them but it has some minus points.
1 being they are probably very loud ! and I do not wan;t to upset the neighbours every morning. ( build damper / db killers for it ? )
2 I need to reuse my own header pipes, which are not to good condition, so probably i will need to put those in heatwrap.

What do you guys think ?

4-1 or 4-4 ?

Re: CB750 K6 Dutch Barnfind ( new pics, powder is ON ! )

And then the frame returned from powder coating 8)

Shine black with a clear finish
Foto-IMCT8SY6-D.jpg

Some small stuff
Foto-NHS6XJHD-D.jpg

Rims and chainguard ( not sure I will use the last )
Foto-8RNUT8BA-D.jpg

Looking forward to build her.

Today I went and got the 4 - 1 exhaust.
Foto-SVE6G7VD-D.jpg

When she is all finished I really want to have the 4- 4, but for now I need one to test and ride !

This weekend a Swap meet, very close to my house, already looking forward to it.
http://www.motormarkthardenberg.nl/article/english-information.html

Back
Top Bottom