Sully's Garage Episode 2. Hammering Gas Tank Indents on a CB750

Sully

Alright. This is where I will post the Videos from now on. Let me know what you think or if there is something you want me to attempt and record. Thanks for watching! Patients, This takes a few minutes to load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-1adqRyVU

Sully

thats fantastic dude!!...
Now its not as "scary" and I previously thought!!. LOL!!!..

This is awesome dude!

I have the same tank and have been contemplating doing it myself but have been second guessing it. Now I have no doubt!

I can't wait to see the seat build video!

Hey sully can you show the continuation ? are you going to use filler to smooth out the tank before you paint?
would love to see that

good work

Thanks! Yep. I'll show the stripping, putty work etc. I need to motivate to get down to the city to get putty. I've heard/read that Rage Gold is the best. Don't use Bondo, It sucks balls. Thanks for watching, Great to get such positive feedback.

Sully

Mortikan said:
Hey sully can you show the continuation ? are you going to use filler to smooth out the tank before you paint?
would love to see that

good work

I had no real problems with bondo when i used it. I did opt, after a couple different tanks i have done, to use the Bondo Gold formula. Spreads a bit nicer. Great lil tutorial there Sully :) I have been using a pretty heavy ball peen, works well but leaves peening that requires the obvious coverage with the bondo or whatever putty you choose. I think its important to mention that when doing this, you want to try to be as even handed as possible, and not let any one area become dramaticly lower than anywhere else, or the metal will want to "pinch" or crease as you try to even it out. Makes for a PITA. Also a couple other points of interest perhaps, is to watch how dramatic your indents actually are. My first attempt was pretty drastic. Looks cool as hell, but snapped over the petcock screen. Ooops. hehe. Also, the tank badge bosses dont bend as well as one would like, so i learned to keep them back from those a bit. Keep up the nice work man! Looking good :)

You inspired me man.

I went out, got the same hammer and whaled on my tank. She looks pretty gnarly now. Definitely makes an impact on the café look. Thanks for the write-up.

Sweet!!! I hope by gnarly you mean good. I'll be posting the putty work to smooth the tank soon. Send a photo if you get a chance!

Sully.

JerseyBomber said:
You inspired me man.

I went out, got the same hammer and whaled on my tank. She looks pretty gnarly now. Definitely makes an impact on the café look. Thanks for the write-up.

Yea it looks great.  Ill be stripping it back down and smoothing it bondo later today.  If it looks decent ill try and throw up some pics tomorow.  Id love to see yours when its done.  Will you make the edges of the indent sharp? (squared off?)  or flow them into the rest of the tank?  Ill make mine squared to hopefully paint the bowls but if it looks like garbage the will get rounded.  Thanks man!

Definately a cool resource, why not post number one in this section too?

AND, how about some decent quality pics for yer buddies here at DTT for reference! 8)

Did this exactly the same to my extra XS400 tank. Except with a deadblow hammer. Looks a little different than Craig's, not quite as big on the indents, but I had to leave room for the writing on the side. You can see the indents a little. Didn't use any bondo or filler of any kind. You can see the marks if you're up close a bit, but other than that it looks pretty good. I'm using this on the MX250 project as the original tank is fubared.

Your seat should look good with that tank Craig!

DSCF1899.jpg

My buddy Dave modeling for us.

Hell yeah! I didnt intend the indents to be so large but it flows nicely now i think. The original was about two inches shorter in the front but a nice tap caused a big jump. Deadblows are your best friend, the mallet i used still made some marks. Cant wait to get the seat!

Awesome, you made it look easy enough that I think I might try it on my bike!

Back
Top Bottom