www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: JIS fasteners and mutilated screw removal  (Read 1204 times)

Offline kopcicle

• antidisestablishmentarian
JIS fasteners and mutilated screw removal
« on: Jun 29, 2012, 19:37:30 »
Air Capital Rivet Set Kit — 5-Pc., Model# 10018 | Air Punch Rivet Tools| Northern Tool + Equipment
Northern Industrial Swivel Connector With Air Regulator — 1/4in. Dia. | Air Couplers| Northern Tool + Equipment
Northern Industrial Air Hammer Kit — 6-Pc. Set | Air Hammers| Northern Tool + Equipment
RJRCOOLTOOLS

Find the closest fitting rivet set and either manually or with the air hammer swag the screw slots back into shape . If using the air tool you must use the regulator and check its setting often on a block of wood .If you use anything more than just barely hammering you will destroy the casting under the screw . I can't emphasize this enough . The tool is a great advantage but comes with a significant risk . You have been warned .

3/8 In. Drive Impact Driver - Socket Drivers | MSCDirect.com

You will notice that other than the jis bits above the tools all come from the lowest price search . This one tool (the impact driver) will be in your possession till the day you die . Do not scrimp , save , shave , low ball this tool . Mac , Proto , Snap-On , Matco  or a clone of their patterns . Here if it looks like crap, it is . Again , you have been warmed .   

Drive the bit into the slots to reform them and then insert the hand impact into the bit/socket . With some small amount of practice you will be able to determine the correct weight and material of hammer . i do not suggest a dead blow or shot filled hammer . The default hammer is brass followed by "mild" untempered steel and then lead . I at this point the screw is still resisting your best efforts to remove it it's time for a beer and serious contemplation before you come back with heat , penetrating oil , and possibly drilling the head off .

Ive only been doing this since last week so I may be in error , YMMV.

~kop
"If a man wants to carry two cats home by their tails, by all means let him. He’ll learn things that he might not have otherwise even guessed, and the experience will be one he’ll not soon forget!"

~S. Clemens

If it leaks after all this? I'm gonna pull a "Brad" and bulldoze the fucker!

Quote from: Scruffy;1025553
As an equal opportunity bigot, I'll insult any brand, any style, any time...:wink:
-Scruffy

http://tinyurl.com/TheRedBike

Redliner: me? But I'm not a little girl any more
Nov 13, 2013, 19:20:58