Piggyback on my zinc plating

johngofast

Over 1,000 Posts
I will be sending fasteners and a few bits from a full restor project to Burbank Plating in California to be Zinc or Cadmium plated. The minimum order is $150 and two or three motorcycles wouldn't even bump up the price from the quantity I have. If someone wants to get some fasteners replated, they could ship them to me in a flat rate USPS box for under $10 and go in $60 on the plating and return shipping.. I'll be doing this before the end of October and they will be back in less than two weeks. (5 days last time I used them)

http://burbankplating.com/

Bump. If anyone else is intrested in any way, let me know. So far 1 other person has jumped in. If there are two more pricing per person will probably start to go down.

Just so you know, everyones parts can be seperated and done individually.

Am I the only one that does this with complete rebuilds?

How much do you think it would be to add these to your order? They are parts to a vintage bottle capper.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349028427.901364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349028427.901364.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 727
I think like $35 including shipping because of the size. Were they zinc plated? If there's any chrome, nickle, brass, or copper coating it will need to be removed beforehand. Zinc, dirt, grime, oxidation, corrosion does not need to be removed. Let me what what you think.

Sounds good. I don't think there was any coating on them. If there was, it was not chrome. PM me where to send it and I'll toss it in the mail USPS flat rate envelope tomorrow.

How durable is zinc plating? Presumably very much so given the industrial applications.

I'm contemplating different options for coating my frame (Voodoo Vintage MK4). Been thinking about galvanized, zinc etc.

Tim said:
How durable is zinc plating? Presumably very much so given the industrial applications.

I'm contemplating different options for coating my frame (Voodoo Vintage MK4). Been thinking about galvanized, zinc etc.

Zinc plating is quite durable and corrosion resistant, which is my most fasteners are plated with zinc. However, I would not suggest it for larger surfaces like a frame, or if you plan to paint over it and it would require media blasting to give the paint a surface to stick to.

I have seen frames hot dip galvanized, its not pretty and the same holds true if you plan to paint it.

Not looking to paint it - want a no frills 100% function 0% form coating. Was thinking nickle, but the cost is nuts. Nickle is apparently used on proper tracker frames as it is quite brittle and will highlight any frame stress/cracks.

Otherwise I bomb it with a few cans of clear (or more likely have it clear powder coated).

Yeah if you aren't looking to paint it than zinc would work fine, you'd want to polish it first though. Cadmium plating is roughly the same cost, but can offer up to 3 times the corrosion resistance and come in clear, black, gold, yellow. I'd bet you could find a shop to plate a clean frame for $50.

So basically its $80(10+60+10)?

Is there a size limit to the hardware?
Can the stuff be separated into small batches from that one box?

$10 to ship to me, I'll pay the shipping to the shop, the $60 included shipping back to you, but i'd go lower if its not a large quantity. The plating company will let me split it up to 8 seperate batches, so yes.

4 of those batches are spoken for.

Also, as far as size, if you're sending anything larger than an axle i'd have to look into it. Anything smaller is definitely fine.

Heres Brian's before and after:

IMG_20121022_224340.jpg

IMG_20121022_224328.jpg

IMG_20121102_160147.jpg

IMG_20121102_160139.jpg

Some of mine:
IMG_20121102_155720.jpg

IMG_20121102_155736.jpg

Will be doing brass, nickle, and chrome the beginning of March.

Is it a double charge to plate twice?

For instance, I want to plate aluminum in brass. That requires plating in nickel, first.

No, it's most of the cost is in the prep work anyway, I've never been charged like that. Most nicke, chrome, brass plating is charged by the time and not the plating type or how many layers. Unless you asked for something like nickle, brass, then nickle, brass again. Which people do.

Zinc is always easy and cheap because you don't have to build up the voids and pits and grind, sand, polish.. It's simply strip down to raw metal, clean, zinc plate, rinse, dry.

JohnGoFast said:
No, it's most of the cost is in the prep work anyway, I've never been charged like that. Most nicke, chrome, brass plating is charged by the time and not the plating type or how many layers. Unless you asked for something like nickle, brass, then nickle, brass again. Which people do.

I was just wondering because I know that plating aluminum is trickier than plating steel and so some extra cost would not be unheard of.

Nice!!! You wouldn't believe that capper was a rusty piece in a junk store about two months ago! Now I'll have to brew a beer so I can use my new capper!

Back
Top Bottom