The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

ChrisBNE said:
there is a service due …

I did the first change at about 150k and roughly at 500k intervals since. Now that it's covered 3000k the interval will be extended.

Saving on oil is no saving!

After the first time, checking clearances takes less than half an hour. Incorrectly adjusted tappets causes engine wear/damage and power loss. If you require information on the procedure, let us know.

Crazy

Oil/spark/air filter etc, that I can do... Opening her up and checking valves.... I dunno about that. What do you need to do at 150kms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Looks like I'm going to place an order for this bad boy. Have received (kind of) permission from the boss ;).

How was the rego/rwc process for the bike? Out of interest, was it much of a hassle or costly for the RWC? Any recommendations for a good mechanic to look over it in Victoria would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sean

ChrisBNE said:
Opening her up and checking valves....

This is pretty much how it goes - info page 10, photo page 11. If you need more, I'll take some photos next time I do it!

Crazy

Attachments

• Honda CG125 valve clearance.pdf
    571.1 KB · Views: 343
kwando said:
Have received (kind of) permission from the boss ;).

Anything other than a flat NO can be construed as approval!

Can't help with the rego information, perhaps one of the Mexican members can help.

Crazy

Thanks buddy, will check it out and see if it's doable!

What oil do you use and where does one get it from? Super cheap etc?

stroker crazy said:
I did the first change at about 150k and roughly at 500k intervals since. Now that it's covered 3000k the interval will be extended.

Saving on oil is no saving!

After the first time, checking clearances takes less than half an hour. Incorrectly adjusted tappets causes engine wear/damage and power loss. If you require information on the procedure, let us know.

Crazy

I'll second all this, it's a piece of piss to service these engines, they were designed to be serviced with a spoon and some brown paper, in the middle of a jungle in the dark, without a spoon, or any brown paper. The design is simplicity perfected, and no points to worry about either. Very frequent oil changes are defo order of the day and the engine will last forever. Their are fewer moving parts so friction is in concentrated in to fewer areas and the filtration is agricultural . Good quality clean oil and an engine flush every now and again works wonders.

stroker crazy said:
Just regular stuff - I'm not organised enough to get to the bike shop before I think of doing an oil change!

Crazy

Works for me, 1 minute from my place is Repco and Shell servo :)

I'll do a change this weekend.

It is a good thing to check the tappet clearance at 100 km as the user manual states. I seen a couple new ACE's now and they all seem to be shipped with no valve clearance at all.

Adjusting the vales might sound hard, You can download a PDF for a honda CG125 workshop manual. This explains with pics on how to do this. After you done it once, you wonder what the fuss was all about.

Anyone know what this connector with a single wire is/was for ?

(just sitting on top of the indicator relay)

EDIT:: it appears to be a random earth

20131011_1040041.jpg

Well, great thread on a fairly simple, but fun bike.
I've looking at one of these on and off for the last year or so.
Showed the other half and she was like, wow looks cool, but no point in asking me permission, as you'll buy it anyway...

i think that was girl language for no... or maybe it was just buy it anyway you know you are going to... lol

damn, what to do, what to do...

I think I will wait until a proposition/project I have going is completed in the next month or so before making that decision, it might give me the brownie points I need to just get one.

Keep up the chatter, it all looks like use full info, and good fun .

cheers, stevo.

Just Dan said:
It is a good thing to check the tappet clearance at 100 km as the user manual states. I seen a couple new ACE's now and they all seem to be shipped with no valve clearance at all.

Adjusting the vales might sound hard, You can download a PDF for a honda CG125 workshop manual. This explains with pics on how to do this. After you done it once, you wonder what the fuss was all about.

Do I need to buy a torque wrench for when I put the cover back on?

ChrisBNE said:
Do I need to buy a torque wrench for when I put the cover back on?

No is the simple answer. You can ruffly gauge how tight they need to be by feeling how hard they are to undo, Not much really,

Just dont go over tight, a couple of people have snapped bolts doing them up
(the steel is a bit weak) i snapped a seat bolt because the thread was tight.. another guy snapped the bolt holding the shift lever on.
normally i would do a quarter turn from the point where it contacts the head cover, but with the ace i would go about an eighth of a turn not a quarter
or you could replace the bolts with new ones of a better quailty

Finally put the de-cluttered crankcase cover on yesterday:

item.JPG

a larger view:

item.JPG

Total weight saving over 2kg!
Yes, I did get carried away with the drill; speed holes make a bike go faster - right?

Crazy

sprocket2cog said:
… you could replace the bolts with new ones of a better quality …

Don't forget to put anti-seize grease on any bolts going into alloy, especially stainless bolts. It will save tears later!

Crazy

Back
Top Bottom