The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource

stroker crazy said:
Finally put the de-cluttered crankcase cover on yesterday:

Total weight saving over 2kg!
Yes, I did get carried away with the drill; speed holes make a bike go faster - right?

Crazy

Looks good.How did you remove the Skyteam name?

Remind me, have you removed the rear mudguard or not?

I was surprised how heavy it was (will weigh it a little later)

mikeyw64 said:
How did you remove the Skyteam name?

Remind me, have you removed the rear mudguard or not?

File, 120/240/320 grit, Scotchbrite+WD40.

Rear guard stays - I have an aversion to skunk-stripes!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
File, 120/240/320 grit, Scotchbrite+WD40.

Rear guard stays - I have an aversion to skunk-stripes!

Crazy

A well positioned reg plate should be just as effective and a lot lighter :)
(& yes I know there's a screw out form the sidepanel)

SAM_0780.jpg

Re: The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource (Decal removal)

How easy are the OEM SkyTeam decals to remove?

they don't appear to be lacquered over so would gentle application of heat & WD40 be enough to remove them?

stroker crazy said:
A hair-dryer on low heat softens the adhesive enough for them to be peeled off without leaving a residue of glue.

Crazy

DO I look like I own a hair dryer ;o)

I just pulled my decals straight off! Not a problem.

Just complete oil change, clutch adjustment and replaced rear brake lever. Totally different bike with the clutch adjusted!

Only problem I just realized I put the little filter at the oil plug in the wrong way around, looks like I'll have to drain it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Neutral - I know its the age old trick, trying to find neutral but I'm finding it near on impossible! And even when the little light comes on and I release the clutch its still in gear. Any advice appreciated!

The gearbox on my bike was quite my was quite 'notchy' until I got a few kilometers covered, but has improved considerably.

Something that may help in finding neutral is the following:

Come to a halt in first, holding the clutch in.
Change up to second, then give the gear lever gentle downward pressure.
Hold front brake while slowly releasing clutch.

I found the neutral indicator light to be unreliable so I have disconnected it. I don't like being lied to by machinery!

Crazy

stroker crazy said:
The gearbox on my bike was quite my was quite 'notchy' until I got a few kilometers covered, but has improved considerably.

Something that may help in finding neutral is the following:

Come to a halt in first, holding the clutch in.
Change up to second, then give the gear lever gentle downward pressure.
Hold front brake while slowly releasing clutch.

I found the neutral indicator light to be unreliable so I have disconnected it. I don't like being lied to by machinery!

Crazy

Cheers buddy, she does seem to get better and better with time.

Re: The SkyTeam 'Ace' Resource:: Don't overlook the obvious

If your Ace wont fire then before spending 30-45 minutes trying to figure out what you broke whilst fiddling about check the kill switch :-[

(in my defence my other bikes won't even turn over unless the kill switch is in the RUN position ::))

Had that happen over the first night that I had the bike. Was running on the day I finished the bike, next morning got up to take her for a run and it would't turn over. One of the kids had hit the kill switch!

ChrisBNE said:
Had that happen over the first night that I had the bike. Was running on the day I finished the bike, next morning got up to take her for a run and it would't turn over. One of the kids had hit the kill switch!

ok confused ???

My Ace will turn over with the Kill switch off but yours won't.

What about others here?

Nah sorry I meant to say it would turn over with the starter when the kids had played with it, just not start. Did my head in.

stroker crazy said:
Finally put the de-cluttered crankcase cover on yesterday:

item.JPG

a larger view:

item.JPG

Crazy

That really looks nice. Can you detail a bit more how you did it ?
Did you put something to protect the metal from rusting ?

Alan - the bare aluminium is maintained by cleaning with a Scotchbrite pad and WD40. It's quick to do, doesn't need re-doing very often, and leaves a brushed satin finish.

The starter gear housing was cut off with a Dremel and the remaining gap filled with Devcon F. I can post photos later if you wish.

Crazy

Muffler prep

Ok so I've barely had the damn thing a week, but I'd really like to look at the muffler and removing the cat. Is it feasable to simply grind off the muffler after th 10cm-ish ppart where the cat is, bash the cat out and then attach a shiny new muffler without welding etc? Or is there more to it?

Back
Top Bottom