www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: spray bombs  (Read 14318 times)

Offline dcmspikes

spray bombs
« on: May 29, 2008, 18:01:10 »
reading through all of these builds has got me wondering.

what is the strongest spray paint?

i think we all agree that powdercoating is the strongest paint finish.  for those that dont want the cost or finality of powdercoat is there are tough spray bomb option?  with out regard to cost.  anything out of a can.  high temp baked on enamel? hammerite? multiple clear coats? Dupli-color? Krylon? Rust-o-leum? . . . .

Offline gribbs

Re: spray bombs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:00:36 »
Probably not much help, but I did a set of car rims in Duplicolor, 3 coats, plus 3 coats of their clear and it held up really well for the year I owned the rims. I will be using Dup for most of the paiting on my bike...powdercoat is too costly and i want to be able to just sand and repaint when I need a change

Offline supercafe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:32:28 »
hello,
i agree, i used dup on my 175, gloss black on all bike prts, with no clear. and used the
high temp gloss white and black on my eng. it is turning out great. and only cost me
about 30$ max.. i also did this on my mustang the whole motor, last year and is still
good.
not sure if i am going to clear it. should hold up either way.
i did about 4 to 5 coats on bike prts and frame, and 2 on motor. high temp you need to spray
every 10 mins for a hr, and then recoat in 7 days or after. looks good when done..you don't
have to clear the eng. should, maybe clear the bike.
any way i went this rout, cheap and easy, looks good when done.
my two cents.
later. guys

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 15:51:51 »
JRK Swears by appliance epoxy and he has his own powder coat setup.  I am not sure of the brand he uses. I have had good luck with Duplicolor products, but make sure anywhere you might get fuel you go with an enamel not lacquar.  Their auto finishes are mostly lacquars, if you use one, make sure you clear with their enamel clear topcoat, let it "cure" for the 7 days before getting near fuel and it works ok. I did my tank in their Toyota Cardinal red and then filled it, got fuel on it and the finish went all cloudy. Found out the hard way you need an enamel over it to keep fuel from ruining it.  Once i fixed the damage and coated with enamel a small fuel spill wiped off quick didn't hurt the finish.

Cheers.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Syke

• General neer'n do-well and Rocker since 1964.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2009, 17:54:53 »
I'm using Duplicolor on the worky buddy's CB450 that we're currently building.  I'm guessing it'll hold up OK, although I really wish I had access to an oven to bake it when finished.  Maritime Biker, thanks for the 7-day wait advice.  Wasn't sure how long to have it sit.

Not that we're in a rush - I've warned Justin that, to do it right, he's not going to be on the bike before Memorial Day.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2009, 17:57:20 by Syke »
Syke, VBMC
"The secret of Life is honesty and fair dealing...If you can Fake that...you've got it made".

Offline HerrDeacon

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2009, 19:57:26 »
I used both Tremclad and Duplicolor and both have their good and bad points. I find Tremclad much more durable than Duplicor. I painted my car rims two years ago and they are just like the day I did them, not a scratch or chip anywhere. Problem I have with Tremclad is the slow dry and cure time. I find Duplicolor very easy and quick to work with though. It sprays nice and dries quick. Both sand and polish well, but I have to say that Duplicolor polishes much better and easier than Tremclad.

I just painted my engine with Duplicolor and yet to start up the engine so the paint is not heat cured yet, but I've noticed that it chips extremely easy. I'm hoping the heat will help the paint become more durable. Anyone with experience with this?
Perry

1972 Honda CB350 K4 / 1978 Honda XL250S /1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X

Offline Syke

• General neer'n do-well and Rocker since 1964.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2009, 22:14:00 »
My experience in painting is bicycles, not motorcycles - I restore vintage road bikes when I'm not wrenching motorcycles (and have to admit I enjoy the former a bit more).  While I've done a number of bicycle frames with the results getting better and better, I don't have access to an oven big enough to handle a fuel tank or bicycle frame.  On small parts, however, I've gotten around this by using the kerosene heater that heats my workshop in the winter.  Leaving freshly painted, but dried, parts on the safety grillwork of the heater does wonders in hardening the paint job.  The alternative has always been hanging a finished frame in the attic (during summer, preferably) for about six months to let the paint cure.  Unfortunately, I'm not that patient.

Baking paint is almost a necessity for a durable finish, although I've never been told for how long and at what temperature - then again, not having the facilities, I've never actively enquired.

Warning!  Do not try using the kitchen stove for this - unless you actually LIKE having your wife/girlfriend permanently pissed, and the stove useless for regular food uses.  I've been told the baking does wonders with smells that never go away.
Syke, VBMC
"The secret of Life is honesty and fair dealing...If you can Fake that...you've got it made".

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:26:58 »
as stated i do powder for a living and use Epoxy appliance paint by rustoleum. just amazed at the strenght of this paint
thermaclad is also a great one!
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline DrJ

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2009, 12:50:05 »
I've used both Duplicolor and Plasticote engine enamels. I found a toaster oven in the trash and rewired it, now it's my paint curing oven for small parts. Baking the paint makes it far more durable.

Offline goodfornothing

• Spicey!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2009, 22:18:42 »
What's the proper procedure of baking a piece in the oven?
TABASCO! *Sold*
1974 Honda cb450: Clicky

Fighter Project *Sold*
1989 cbr600 Hurricane:
Clicky