71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

Re: Well, time to try my hand at a tracker. 71' CB500..eh?

I was keeping it hush-hush until I got it in, just in case I goofed and got one without the bearings...they LOOK like bearings... ::) ::)

I'll give you a clue. It's not from a Japanese bike. Nor an English bike. Nor an Italian bike.

That leave something like hardly ableson?

MotorbikeBruno said:
Nope. But good guess...ha! I knew I'd stump you guys.

Probably a Buell.

Made it to the shop. Say what you want...but I sure do love my subaru/snowmobile/bike getter/mudder/dirtbikehauler.....

Time for some more work!

Attachments

• subaruwinter.JPG
    subaruwinter.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 323

Wow, when I got the bike running and nothing ate itself, I assumed the bike was in good mechanical condition. I have come to find that NONE of the engine studs that hold the damn engine together, were torqued down! No wonder this damn thing ran a tad funny, AND LEAKED LIKE A SIEVE!!!! The headgasket looks brand new, no pressure marks or anything (not that I'm going to re-use it) but I got lucky here. It almost looks as though someone had gone through and put it back together, and then forgot to tighten those bolts and it ran funny. Cylinder walls look great (haven't checked spec yet) and everything looks nice in there. the only nasty part was the base gasket which you can see in one of the pics.

On to the pics as per usual.

32enginedisassembly.jpg

33enginedisassembly.jpg

34enginedisassembly.jpg

Now time to drive back home in the fun snow!

Send some of that snow down here. My jeep is bored.

Will do, got about 15 inches or so! Think UPS will ship it for me?

Im sure they could figure it out. Seems like everywhere else in Iowa got some kind of snow except where I live.

Thanks Yinz. This is the 4th engine I've ever pulled apart, learned quite a bit from the previous 3, so I'm hoping this goes smoothly, someone else already scraped the old gasket off so I'm pretty stoked about it!

Re: 71' "CB500 has mono" project. Someone call the doctor :)

And I think they put new rings, and honed the cylinders too...their main problem was the fact that they put goop on EVERY DAMN SURFACE THEY COULD FIND. Under the base gasket, on top of the base gasket, then under and on top of the HEAD GASKET...I'll snap a picture of the top end side tomorrow. There's so much soft carbon built up it's really odd. Pistons are relatively clean though ;) Won't be too hard to make them shine up.

36enginedisassembly.jpg

35enginedisassembly.jpg

And my shock is in Kansas at the moment...should be here tomorrow or Thursday at the latest!

And the shock came in this morning! The picture doesn't show the ruler straight on, but it's about 9 3/4 at this point, and it looks like there is some room to adjust the tension on the spring quite a bit. Hopefully I find what I'm after with this!

It's actually from an 03' INDIAN Chief...

And it does have bearings on both ends, so now I can post a pic ;D ;D ;D

37monoshock.jpg

Well I never would have guessed that! My only concern would be is that the Indian is a way heavier machine than yours. Have to back the spring tension all the way off to start out I imagine. Looks like a nice piece though.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. It will be a tad stronger than needed, it looks like I can back the travel off quite a bit, so hopefully it won't cause any issues...but it's got two bearings, so I know it will work for the purpose I bought it for.

Got a little bit more done, not as much time with all the Christmas stuff going on, wish I was shopping for more parts :'(

Anyways, got the lower shock mount drilled out to the exact size needed, then I'll shape them accordingly. Unless it's cool to have giant blocky looking mounts... :eek: :eek: Can't wait to hack the rear end off and start all over with that ;)

38shockmounts_zps05010157.jpg

39shockmounts_zps3605e402.jpg

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

i vote keep the mounts as they are and call them modern art. good looking build so far!

Re: 71' CB500 monoshock with no name.

Ok ninjas, it's getting closer to go time! Now it's all about figuring out what the heck I want to do next...is this angle about right? Or am I going to have issues? (yes I'm actually asking you engineering type fellows) I expect to get some lambasting, which is cool...go ahead hit me with it.. ;)) I already know it may be TOO big of a shock, etc etc, but it's worth a failed try and a really stiff ride to find that out, worst case, I cut it all apart and start over. Nothing's welded in place or anything here, I think I'm going to re-make my swingarm hoop out of a little thicker tube. Anyone know what other's have used? I think mines 14 Gauge tubing at the moment.

40shockmounts_zps1ef46e70.jpg

41shockmounts_zps56405731.jpg

42shockmounts_zpsa71873bc.jpg

43shockmounts_zpsd5f4bb3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom