www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: 2x stroke street tracker - probable project?  (Read 251 times)

Offline NoRiders

2x stroke street tracker - probable project?
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:46:22 »
Hi guys n gals, Just putting this out there.

I have in mind a new, long term, project. I fancy a 2smoker ding ding engined lightweight tracker stylee street bike with motoxer looks but super moto handling...bit gangly lookin' and fun to ride.

As is usual, this will be an minimalist budget build.

I have a few parts:

Honda 400/4 frame not including forks or swingarm. (From an unregistered stripped bike many years ago, so I should be able to gain the V5 off the frame number, haven't looked into this yet).

Honda 400/4 spoked front wheel with disc (prefer alloy rim) and really like Suzuki star spoked alloys and road tyres

Honda CBX 550 tank

plus a few spares/bits etc.

I've just agreed to purchase a Suzuki X5/SB 200 engine complete with carbs and igniter for £180 inc del.

I hope to find upside down forks and a swingarm/rearwheel (possibly from a lightweight Chinese model?) from Kempton or similar*, so the bones of a project are/will be in place.

I have an idea for a homemade seat ;-)

If I can make it look even a little bit like this I'll be well pleased.

Any thoughts or wise words from the DTT collective will help, thank you.

* Maybe someone out there has these kicking around in exchange for beer tokens :-) Cheers Colin

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 2x stroke street tracker - probable project?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:06:38 »
Hi guys n gals, Just putting this out there.

I have in mind a new, long term, project. I fancy a 2smoker ding ding engined lightweight tracker stylee street bike with motoxer looks but super moto handling...bit gangly lookin' and fun to ride.

As is usual, this will be an minimalist budget build.

I have a few parts:

Honda 400/4 frame not including forks or swingarm. (From an unregistered stripped bike many years ago, so I should be able to gain the V5 off the frame number, haven't looked into this yet).

Honda 400/4 spoked front wheel with disc (prefer alloy rim) and really like Suzuki star spoked alloys and road tyres

Honda CBX 550 tank

plus a few spares/bits etc.

I've just agreed to purchase a Suzuki X5/SB 200 engine complete with carbs and igniter for £180 inc del.

I hope to find upside down forks and a swingarm/rearwheel (possibly from a lightweight Chinese model?) from Kempton or similar*, so the bones of a project are/will be in place.

I have an idea for a homemade seat ;-)

If I can make it look even a little bit like this I'll be well pleased.

Any thoughts or wise words from the DTT collective will help, thank you.

* Maybe someone out there has these kicking around in exchange for beer tokens :-) Cheers Colin

Here in Austria, some of the old KTM 2 strokes (which are quite light nimble and powerful) are easy to have.Maybe thats the way you should head?!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:35:15 »
Thanks Ryan. I'm working with what I have for good or bad.
Until I  roughly assemble the parts I won't know what the overall look will work out to, but simply buying a complete bike to modify is not what I had planned, far too easy mate :-)

Plus the idea of a Honduki tracker appeals.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 14:50:07 »
Here in Austria, some of the old KTM 2 strokes (which are quite light nimble and powerful) are easy to have.Maybe thats the way you should head?!

Hi Ryan, checked out KTM engines on UK ebay and found plenty of watercooled Duke derivitives but no 2xstrokes. Not a common bike over here, there were some but not plentiful like in the home of KTM :-)

Offline Jutboy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:53:34 »
The QINGQI qm125, SINNIS apache(same bike) would most probably have the parts you want(quite nice wheels) I believe they are based off gn125. Some go through eBay spares repair

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:58:51 »
The QINGQI qm125, SINNIS apache(same bike) would most probably have the parts you want(quite nice wheels) I believe they are based off gn125. Some go through eBay spares repair

I'm currently searching fleabay for any upsidedown forks and quite a few Chinese models come up at what appear to be good prices.

Anyone had any direct experience with Chinese forks? Are they good or bad.

This will be a lightweight 200cc engined bike so would forks from a 125 be OK...maybe uprate the springs but then the cost rises if they're available?

Hmmm...in no rush so something will crop up :-)

Offline Jutboy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 09:30:21 »
This is on eBay at the minute

If forks are straight could get a amount of money back selling the frame
Weight wise if you are not seething up for passenger I wouldn't see any issues