CB360 project

Lani will tell you straight up to heat them to red hot then dunk them in cold water. Annealing them is key to them working. Also, spray both sides with copper gasket.

957d52b5be0f0ef2b008ad4406a813ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to get 0.0015 feeler gauge through there. My machinist said if I can get more than 0.001 it probably should be fixed. If I were using a composite gasket it would probably be fine. No worries. $30 plus shipping for a good seal.

By the way, Eastwood Pre Prep works wonders on threebond. I just used a plastic razor for the bigger stuff and wiped the thin stuff right off with eastwood pre.

That looks more than 0.0015", sure it wasn't 0.015"? (one and a half thou compared to fifteen thou)
one and a half thou wouldn't be enough to cause a major leak (or even a mi or one)
Head was probably torqued in wrong sequence at some time, started on outside nuts instead of the 4 in the middle

Just spoke with my machinist. He had to take 0.004" off the deck of the cylinders as well as the head to get them flat. Once I get them in the mail I'll measure for a base gasket and get it ordered from Lonnie.

Does anyone know if 0.004" off the head will affect cam timing too much? If I should get a new head gasket to make up the difference?

You have to remove around 0.020" for it to make much difference. Fitting thicker base gasket will put things 'back to stock'

Great thanks guys. Looking forward to getting these parts back so I can measure and order the base gasket

No, just machined flat. He said sometimes liners can "settle" after being pressed in from the factory. That it's probably been that way for a long time but wasn't an issue with the composite gasket since it's more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom