"Poor Kid" 1981 CB750K - first build

Oh yeah they're still incorrect. I have had some other priorities to handle recently. I almost wonder if that will solve a lot of problems. It would make sense why two cyls are not getting hot and there are soft pops coming from pipes... Could fuel get into exhaust and make that sound if two cyl aren't igniting the mixture?

Busy week ahead and no bike time in sight :(

Just rewired those coil wires. Now the motherfucker wont start at all. Here we go again!

Left fuckin' coil pack is wired to cyl 1/4 and right fuckin' pack is wired to 2/3. Held choke to start. Got one backfire of smoke through cyl 1s carb and a nasty pop from the tail pipe but nothing fucking good. A few more tries, but still nothing. Shut the door and came inside. I'll keep the forums posted as I'm going to find a mechanic and stop swimming in the deep end

next thing to check then is the blue and the yellow wire going to the front of the coil packs. I think the correct way is blue to left and yellow to right. Either way just swap them over. If they are on the wrong way it makes it left 2&3 and right 1&4. So rather than just move the leads its better to have it correct and mover the blue and yellow wires.

I think the correct way is blue to left and yellow to right.
yep, unless they are wired wrong down below...

So rather than just move the leads its better to have it correct and mover the
blue and yellow wires.
Agreed... much easier to move just those two wires that have spade connectors.

Hoosier Daddy said:
yep, unless they are wired wrong down below...

Haha, yes if the wiring has been messed around with further back down the line then it could be either way round.

I didn't die!

CB is running, still working out the kinks. It fell over on a trailer and suffered a tank dent, but I had a blast riding around a buddy's neighborhood after some local DTT members helped me tune those carbs up. In the end, we saw an electrical fire, countless carb adjustments, and more. If you have questions about the many gremlins we found, feel free to ask here.

Right now I have the CB waiting for title and licensure. I may sell the CX to the right buyer for some profit to cover the costs. Either way, I got to ride and I'm super close to doing it legally now. What a satisfying experience.

Immediate repairs are necessary, however, as I have not replaced that leaky ignition cover, and my rear wheel is not true. No sweat. Just wrapping up moving leases and soon my funds will go back to bikes.

1981 CB750K
1981 CX500C

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377015164485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377015164485.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 249
Here's the absolute earliest pic that PO had of the CB. A little before/after comparison!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377015591785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377015591785.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 253
Trying to find time to work on the bike is hard this past month, but I made time today. Since it is leaking oil, I haven't messed with it. I wanted to replace the ignition cover today but I can't access the hardware! I am trying to understand whether someone has changed them or if I'm lacking the tool. So this is holding me up, but once done there will be no fluid leaks at all!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379010773184.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379010773184.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 630
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379010779828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379010779828.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 614
Hmm. Harbor freight or northern tool? I might have to order those tools... But I will have to get nasty on the bolts otherwise. Maybe I'll get the tools. :)

Thin wall sockets shouldn't be hard to find, but I would switch those out for allen head bolts for ease of removal next time.

kraptastic k said:
Oh, I've learned that lesson. I need a frequent flier membership at the local bolt and tool shop!

The PO really stitched you up putting that type of bolt in a recessed hole like that. Thin wall sockets the only way to go.

put a couple miles on the sucker after repairing all that nonsense... Rode a few times the past two weeks. Narrowly dodged getting a ticket from a benevolent cop. And since it appears to be working fine, I think I'll start taping up all the electrical. The rear wheel needs truing as well. I am learning more about the dead spots in my carbs. At full throttle the bike has no pull and becomes soggy, stumbles until I let off, backfire, then power returns to the wheel at low throttle. I am going to change the main jet one size down to find that power, then needle height, then mixture screws and float height.

... It's pretty fun

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382317844899.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382317844899.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 319
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382317855025.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382317855025.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 300
Stupid bolts. Cut those things and screwed them out and replaced with new hardware. For anyone wondering.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382317917422.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382317917422.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 895
Right on. What's the plan as we get closer to ice on the ground?

Back
Top Bottom