OK I was not going to start a build on this bike until I had got the engine free but now is a good a time as any.
When I was looking to upgrade from my SR250 I started asking around at work if anyone had a GS450 or the likes, one of the blokes mentioned that he had a 750 he was going to restore.
Being that I am still on my "restricted" license (can't ride anything over 650) I was not in the market for a 750, after a bit of thinking I decided I would ask him what he wanted for it.
After a bit of talking he decided he did not have the time or money to do the bike justice so he asked if I wanted it, well yeah of course. A week later I picked her up, all for the cost of a carton of "Hahn Super Dry" hence the name.
The previous owner lives on a farm and this bike was sitting in his shed for two years, but it had been outside for the past 6 months. As with any bike found under a tarp behind a shed I assumed the worst, surprisingly the tyres were still inflated and only a few critters had made it home. Seeing that it is winter here I was expecting a snake to be under the tarp at least but there was only a few large spiders and lizards.
Here is where she sat for six months, picture was taken after the tarp was removed.
After I wheeled her around to the trailer I decided to take a "before" photo. Not to bad considering.
It was then I decided to jump on her and see if she would spin. After putting her in neutral and looking down to see the starter motor was MIA I flicked out the kick and decided to give her a gentle push, which ended up with me standing on one foot in the air. That is when the project got a whole lot bigger.
After I got her home it was off to work so the cylinders were filled with oil to hopefully loosen the engine. after sitting for a day it had not helped so I decided to rip in to the engine as I would have had to anyway to get the cylinders honed and stick new rings on. Here is the progression of the tear down.
Well at least the head is nice and clean. On to the cylinders now to see which and how many are stuck
Cylinder 1 and 2 seem fine, full of oil but fine none the less.
Yep has to be one of these two milky b-tards.
So with a bit of persuasion with a BFH and a block off wood I find it is cylinder 4. I decided that a bit of inox might help to free her up as that was the only thing I could find that would help. So another day later and no go. VonYinzer suggested Kero so that is the plan after I clean up the ungodly about of rust that used to be the exhaust system.