81 CX500 yes, it's true, I lied. Build #5

Well the seat is done and it did fit the bike, yes truth be told I was worried that after all this work and expense it wouldn't..

Just to update on the seat, I will be glad to share the pattern with anyone who likes it. Have a great New year, Peter

The girls tell me it needs to be black. With the black seat it needs a touch of color. Thoughts?

What happened to pics in #29,31,39. hi jacked in 45 and back to your build in 49?
I notice in the 2 pics of front fender top one has lost rolled edge at the front of original and its back in the lower one. I thought you had it sectioned in middle which explains second pic but is it an optical illusion the edge is missing? Further now the rear fender has been hacked at the back but needs its rolled edge to look finished and safe. Nice job overall but posting non flash pictures is pointless. You said you were going to adjust seat pan before upholstery it now fits neither side very well, is it hinged or bolted to frame?

downtown809 said:
Well your picture got me to thinking about my Craigs list search, I was not searching for 650. Look what I found..
http://kalispell.craigslist.org/mcy/4145903486.html
Huh? its lost on us now! what was this about?

downtown809 said:
this is what I am shooting to copy but I am wanting to retain the bracket so it will need to be a bit taller..

CXMan,
I agree the frame of the CX looks awkward with the trapezoid shaped side cover, a modern style cover, next to an old school BSA rounded frame element. I like your idea of a momoshock and hacking away the frame but clearly you have gone too far and it is now equally as weird as the original, an abbreviated triangle section would be appropriate but now it cries out for a set of wheelie bars. What is the mono shock off of?

HollywoodMX said:
I like where this build is going.

Other than these bikes being cheap and non mainstream what's the attraction to make a cafe build out of them. They are baby GL's no?
Think baby Moto Guzzi '78-'87 750/850 Le Mans one of the sweetest cafes of all time right from the factory paint it bright international orange and you could fool a few folks. A stream line fairing and a mono shock..... time warp for sure. Even the nickel tank is a throwback MG feature.

cxman said:
weld it in it will look good and while you are at it make a under tray to hide the regulator and cdi or ignitec

i fixed mine a different way

Weld what in ? loss of pics screwed this thread ! yes it needs an under seat tray or box as the hanging down wires and stuff look like crap. This seat pan was hollow below no? plenty of room. I'll bet square edge of seat pan will be extra annoying on a long ride or when you're sliding side to side in the twisties. Should have been rolled and leave the square edge to the foam and the upholstery. This is the difference between welder making seats and seat companies making them, some times you get what you pay for or you always get what you pay for that's why some things cost more. Just saying

cxman said:
weld it in it will look good and while you are at it make a under tray to hide the regulator and cdi or ignitec

i fixed mine a different way
Weld what in ? loss of pics screwed this thread ! yes it needs an under seat tray or box as the hanging down wires and stuff look like crap. This seat pan was hollow below no? plenty of room. I'll bet square edge of seat pan will be extra annoying on a long ride or when you're sliding side to side in the twisties. Should have been rolled and leave the square edge to the foam and the upholstery. This is the difference between welder making seats and seat companies making them, some times you get what you pay for or you always get what you pay for that's why some things cost more. Just saying

K0Kid said:
Ok lets see if I can wrap this up in one try..
It is a seat pan, it is bolted on.
This is an in town bike as I suffer from carpel tunnel that kicks in after 30 minutes riding.
It is winter here but sitting on the bike it is a comfy seat. I have a plate that mounts the starter solenoid and regulator under the seat.
I have a 78 and an 81 cx500, both have nickel plated tanks so the top fender photo was the 78 with the hacked fender and the bottom was the spliced fender, I prefer the later.
I didn't make this seat myself to save money as it ended up just under $400. I wanted to retain the frame bracket and the one I liked needed it removed. The brown seat is one from the 78 I put on while I was waiting for the shop to get the leather on the one I built. The photos are gone, but I see them in photobucket.

If you have carpal tunnel, you should be building a cruiser with 12" mini-apes, a well cushioned seat, and an upright riding position. Then you might be able to ride without exacerbating your injury.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
If you have carpal tunnel, you should be building a cruiser with 12" mini-apes, a well cushioned seat, and an upright riding position. Then you might be able to ride without exacerbating your injury.
Thanks AlphaDog, I googled them, can't go there with these bikes.
The Goldwing is up next I might just do some adjustments to that to get a more upright riding position.

downtown here is a in the middle cx i can sit up and drive it all day but dont be fooled it goes i was clocked and over 130 on it

lol

these pics were taken with a temp custom tank on the bike it now has its proper deluxe tank and side covers on

Back
Top Bottom