hats off to victorian cafe guys

nedmmo

Been Around the Block
i just want to congratulate and ask how any victorian guys that have gotten a custom/classic/cafe on the road with a RWC. after my 3rd fail, countless moved licencing appointments and subsequent lost deposits or paying $16 to move the appointment, days off work, unregistered vehicle permits, chasing my tail fixing things that change everytime i take it somewhere im just about done. pretty much ready to throw it all in the bin and buy a scooter.

ive just been told my rear drum hub is a mm within being out of spec, which they have to take the wheel off and pull apart and photograph to appease vicroads absolutely bullshit rules.

that cost me $150. now ill go buy a new hub $250 or more, pull my freshly coated wheel down, pop new bearings in, try and rebuild the wheel myself, end up having to pay someone to true it, then take it back to the RWC...but its alrite cause he going to cut me a deal at only $75 for the second inspection.

like i said...im broken. i suspect it would be cheaper and less hassle to ride unregistered and just cop the fine

fuck the government!!!!!

Damn dude that's ridiculous!
Around here you pull it out of a barn and ride home haha

yeah, i live in victoria as well, thats why i got a new skyteam ace 125 and then started customizing once it was on the road.

sprocket2cog said:
yeah, i live in victoria as well, thats why i got a new skyteam ace 125 and then started customizing once it was on the road.

Won't it have to be reinspected at some point?

Are these requirements not clearly spelled out somewhere so that you may build within these specifications?

Our inspections are done by independent inspection shops (certified by the state), there is no consistency, most of them just want to drool over your bike and send you on your way.. Headlight, brake light, horn. "Okay, $9 please. See ya next year!"

I lived in VIC for ages and never had that sort of hassle. Admittedly it's been a few years since I had to get a RWC and my son took the bike in, but absolutely no issues. WTF was the tester pulling the drum apart to measure it? What made him suspect that it was worn out? Either the tester is beyond anal or he doesn't like something about the bike and is looking for issues. What did he find wrong so far that he sent you home to check?

It's called the mechanic trying to make some money from you!
When I got my bike safety'd the wank actually got a magnifier out to see if he could find a pit in my front forks!
He said with a shit eating grin as he was doing it that he always nails guys on this one!
I reassured him if he did find any defects, he wasn't getting the job to fix it so judge accordingly! He almost looked disappointed that everything checked out ok!
Too many scumbag mechanics out there!

We have shops that only do inspections; it blows my mind that anyone here would go to a mechanic to do the inspection unless they really trust them. The inspection shops here have a maximum amount they are allowed to charge for a motorcycle inspection; $9. Most say it’s not worth their time, I've had shops look out the window at my bike 50ft away and pass it.

Our process for getting a title is becoming more rigorous, but it is fair.

I've never seen an inspection only place here in Ontario. And I trust no one! Lol

JohnGoFast said:
Won't it have to be reinspected at some point?
yep when it changes hands it needs a new inspection, not every year etc , but i dont plan to sell it. and if i do ive got all the original parts in a box.

I know in Victoria BC Canada the inspectors are being um "pressured" not to pass any bike unless its bone stock. Its not law so the inspectors are sticking to what the book says. Sounds like you have a jerk trying to make a buck off of you. Can you take it somewhere else to have it looked at?

this is the third inspection place ive been to. the first guy was $110 and gave me a list as long as my arm to work to. granted I did take it in prematurely not fully aware of how stringent the testing could be. but he didnt mention my rear hub was nearly out of service...

went through and worked off that list. got everything squared away and thought for sure I would pass the next one.

the hardest thing is its so ambigous in the literature from vicroads...the standard stuff you'd expect...brakes must work, suspensiom not leaking, lights all good. irs then up to thease fuckwits to interpret it and expect a 25yr old bike to be in the condition of a brand new bike.
the biggest reason is they are all shit scared...cause as soon as someone gets a defect notice on the road...they hold the RWC workshop accountable.

at the end of the day its just a big money making scam by all parties involved.

gone rogue or in the shed now Free

and its not him being a dick either I dont beleive. hes told me from the srart that he really likes what ibe done with the bike and that my build skills are top notch.

he also knows he wont get any of the work needed done at his shop.

Have you looked into club rego if you bike is 25 yrs old you join a club and then have the clubs safey officer sighn off that the bike is in a safe useable condition. then down to Vic Roads and pay a reduced rego fee . Only down side is you can only ride it 60 days a year but you can pay for another 60 days. Cost is around $60 and then issurance is cheaper. Look it up on Vic Roads web site. good Luck

yeah im aware of club rego. but I want it to be a daily and im too far deep to back down now.

all along ive said that I want to prove you can build a custom and get rwc.

Go talk to Christian at the Modern Motorcycle Company in Collingwood. He should be able to put you in touch with an assessor who is more familiar with custom bikes.

http://www.modernmotorcyclecompany.com/

I got a 'bike in a box' Skyteam Ace for daily commuting and ran into "VicRoads has told us to go over the Chinese bikes thoroughly", I got failed on neutral being hard to find on a 40km old gearbox. Funny, I was getting it 19 out of 20 times, but then I wasn't wearing steel capped workboots and could feel it going in through the lever. Got it passed on the second visit though so all good now.

Mike in Melburn

yeah, when i spoke to Christian a few years ago he said he does a pre-rwc check/fix before he sends it to get roadworthied through his mechanic connections. there's a certain cost increase, but he won't do it if it won't pas the test

Us guy's down under do things a lot tougher by the looks huh? Yes its a great idea to find a mechanic who is in tune with classic bikes and an understanding of our passion! Hard too find in this modern day world of profit seekers! A good idea was mentioned by a wise rider earlier. Get her registered stock and then set her up the way you want? You know it's gunna be safe because why would you take any chances on short cut's? It's your life on the line out there! Some people just don't understand!! Don't give up brother.

Back
Top Bottom