'81 CM400T Street tracker "Comstar Love"

More progress this week. Who loves electrical? I do! It reminds me of, well.... work :-\
P1020539.jpg

Got my GM coil upgrade done. First time making custom plug wires. Went pretty good. Too bad the MSD logo had to be upside down. Iridium spark plugs installed too.
P1020540.jpg

Moving on to the Mikuni carbs tonight.
P1020541.jpg

Re: '81 CM400T Street tracker "Comstar Love"

HollywoodMX said:
Wholy electrical connectors batman!
Ya, all that junk going under the tank was what was in the original headlight.

Re: '81 CM400T Street tracker "Comstar Love"

flyswat2006 said:
Ya, all that junk going under the tank was what was in the original headlight.

And all this time I thought Yamaha's were bad.

flyswat2006 said:
Got my R1 fork and brakes for $400. By the time the swap was completed it was up to $600. For the head set all I needed to do was reuse the original bottom one and replace to top one from Allballsracing. To adapt the Comstar wheel to the R1 22mm axle I had to source some 42x22x12mm bearings. Fortunately I found some from a unicycle shop in Calgary. Next I got a machine shop to make me some axle spacers.

Next I had to tackle adapting the R1 brake rotor. It's centre boar was huge so I had to reduce that first. Got this 8"x8" 3/16" plate from a local fab shop, made my marking and started cutting. Thirty minutes and six blades latter I had my outside diameter done. Then I spent an hour doing "precision" drill and tapping. Next was the centre boar which I had planned to do with a whole saw. That failed. So I took it back to the fab shop and asked them to do it. They laughed and said they could have done the whole thing for me on the water jet for $25. They ended up just cutting the whole with a plasma cutter for free.

Then it was back to the machine shop for the last spacer. Done.

P1020088.jpg

I didnt see anywhere listed what year the R1 forks and clamps came off of? im hoping to do the same to my CB750. i actually also want to convert my wifes lil cm200 to a 400 front and rearend with the comstar wheels, so do you think you might be able to take some measurements for me? as im trying to figure out how i can get the comstar wheels on the cm200

MotoCrazy said:
I didnt see anywhere listed what year the R1 forks and clamps came off of? im hoping to do the same to my CB750. i actually also want to convert my wifes lil cm200 to a 400 front and rearend with the comstar wheels, so do you think you might be able to take some measurements for me? as im trying to figure out how i can get the comstar wheels on the cm200
It's a 2001 R1 fork. The head tube was almost too long for the forks steer tube.

What measurements you need? I'll try to help if I can. If you're looking for a cm400 front end, I have the fork from mine for sale. It's in nice shape.

Cuba Libre said:
This is a magnificent coloured cam cover indeed !!!
Any details?
What type colour is it?

M.

Duplicolor Metalcast Red. It's pretty cool. Like a spray on red anodize on any reflective surface. I actually used it on the tank too using the Metalcast silver basecoat. I probably wouldn't use on a tank again since it was impossible to get an even coat.

Built a hanger for the carbs.
P1020549-1.jpg

Getting close to the end! Hope to get the exhaust done this week. Then I have a small list of items to complete. After that it's cross my fingers and hope everything works... :p
P1020552.jpg

flyswat2006 said:
It's a 2001 R1 fork. The head tube was almost too long for the forks steer tube.

What measurements you need? I'll try to help if I can. If you're looking for a cm400 front end, I have the fork from mine for sale. It's in nice shape.

im thinking it would probably be easiest to just put the 400's front end on im thinking? in which case the length of the steering tube, along with the diameter i suppose would be the first measurements to get

Got the exhaust done. I replaced the H box with some staight pipe and used the original chrome covers to cover it.

This is about it for how it looks. Still need to add a mirrow. I like it ;D

So I tried to start it up yestarday. All I got was a big "CLICK". After some electrical troubles shooting it turns out the starter motor is dead. Hopefully I'll be able to fix it....

P1020557.jpg

P1020559.jpg

Ha! Just fixed my starter motor. Took it apart and found one of the brushes not making contact with the coil. :D

Maybe I'll try firing it up tonight!

Major problems. The bike won't fire.

There is plenty of spark but after much investigating I found that :

- there is not enough vaccume to draw fuel into the head :(
- There is a lot of air being blown out the valve cover breather :-[
- compression is 100psi on bothe sides :mad:

I'm guessing the valves are the suspect. Any thoughts?

flyswat2006 said:
- compression is 100psi on bothe sides :mad:

I'm guessing the valves are the suspect. Any thoughts?

Did you check the compression prior to starting the project? 100 is very low (can't recall what the spec is on these engines but I believe its somewhere up around 185), hopefully its the valves but only a check will determine that. Only takes a few minutes to adjust the valves on the CM.

HerrDeacon said:
Did you check the compression prior to starting the project? 100 is very low (can't recall what the spec is on these engines but I believe its somewhere up around 185), hopefully its the valves but only a check will determine that. Only takes a few minutes to adjust the valves on the CM.
185 is spec. Compression before was 135 both sides. I replaced the rings when I tore down the motor. There is a chance that I have the rings in the wrong order according to this:
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/62-engine-discussion/18968-79-cm400t-rebuild-oil-cooler-6-speed-trans-kicker-7.html

I'll be checking the valves tonight or tomorrow. This is such a drag..... :'(

This is what I've been up to lately. I got the cycliders honed at the machine shop and then re-assembled the motor with the rings in the opposite order. I hooked a battery up to the starter with the motor on the bench. Now I have 125psi exactly even on both sides. So that is 25psi better than before but still nowhere near 185psi. Yes, I did adjust the valves and payed $50 for a new head gasket. I'm hoping when I get the motor back in the bike and started the rings will seat and compression goes up.

Any thoughts?

P1020674.jpg

125 cold with unseated rings is fine. the number in the manual is hot compression. you should see the number go up after your break in period and the rings bed in etc.

Back
Top Bottom