Aftermarket Honda 360 Cam Chain Slipper and Tensioner - Pre-purchase

Another set of pics has come in from our second tester. 800+ miles on this set.

Very little visible wear on the slipper or tensioner.

Attachments

• tensioner_04.jpg
    tensioner_04.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 317
;D Do I still see some slight delamination on the edges of the tensioner guide? Were there any signs of the dimpling from the chain that was noted in the previous test set? What is the design service life we are striving for? Maybe one more test round and these will be golden. Can't wait to finish rebuilding this motor.

wcwmoto360 said:
;D Do I still see some slight delamination on the edges of the tensioner guide? Were there any signs of the dimpling from the chain that was noted in the previous test set? What is the design service life we are striving for?

There was a little bit of separation, but it came out of the mold that way and has not affected the tensioner or its wear pattern.

No dimpling that I can tell. The pic posted above is the set that came out of an engine at over 800 miles of riding.

The part was designed with 15,000 miles in mind, but we have not yet been able to test to that level.

wcwmoto360 said:
;D Do I still see some slight delamination on the edges of the tensioner guide? Were there any signs of the dimpling from the chain that was noted in the previous test set? What is the design service life we are striving for?
No de-lamination. There is a tiny tag of rubber from the casting that overlaps the chain surface. I could've snipped it, but it's so minor I didn't worry about it. I'll snip it off before I re-install. The dimpling is not so apparent. You can mark the rubber with you finger, but it rebounds within a few minutes. My stock tensioner has a wear groove after 8000 miles. At nearly 1000 miles, these look the same as when I installed them.

That's good. I couldn't tell from the picture whether that was delamination or not. I'm tracking, 15,000 miles was what I was figuring. I expect wear over time, after all if tensioners slipper is not wearing, what is, the chain? Maybe no third round then!

We're going to production!

We're currently working out the financial details with the manufacturer right now. Expecting to have all the money transferred to them the second or third week of September (money transfers overseas, to some countries, are now subject to Homeland Security auditing). They've quoted 20 business days, after payment is received, to complete the production run and then another week (or so) for the shipment to arrive here in the USA. Assuming nothing gets held up in customs, the tensioners should be here at Sparck Moto the third week of October and then immediately shipped out to all you fine folks.

Last call for pre-orders! Payment must be received on or before September 13th.

Well I just got home from an attempted ride over to the coast. But guess what blew up? I would like to place an order for two sets. Should I go through your website?

Not available yet on the web site. If you're wanting to pre-order, please make payment via paypal directly to sales@sparckmoto.com.

Thanks,
Matthew

Don't mean to hijack here but as a cj360 owner, what is the signs that your timing chain is going to blow up? Also how did you know it is the source of the problem?

Timing chain rarely fails unless the slipper and tensioner are on their way out. The specs for those are in the user manual.

I think some of the issues with the tensioner is the way it is designed. I've never had issues with mine, I've made sure it stays funcriminal. The recall paperwork that came with the change shows a tool I think every 360 owner should have. The pushbar tool lets you test the spring tension as well as the actual movement of the system. I see nothing wrong with pulling the bar clear out every time you do a cam chain adjustment.

Letting the system snap into place makes sure that it is functional and tight. Sure it might be more work but after fooling with this engine for a few years it does help.

Wear tolerance is noted in that recall paperwork as well. Don't be worried about the bike, make it reliable.

I just sent payment for two.

I saw first hand what happens when these things go this weekend on a friends 360. It's to be avoided.

I just saw this now. Very proud of you for getting this done Matt. I'm not sure how you pulled it off but looks like you've succeeded where I couldn't bring them and so reasonably priced! Dying to pick your brain on the details.

Just sent payment for two sets.... I'm going to open my motor back up and take care of the bottom end.

$50 for a single set with shipping cost to be invoiced when the production run is ready to go out, or $40 per set, for more than one set, and shipping is free.

sales@sparckmoto.com

hell if I woulda known that, I woulda sent the extra $30 and ordered 2 sets.

Back
Top Bottom