Setting the timing and valve clearance on a Twin?

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Can I request a quick vid on the basics of setting the timing and valve clearnace? Between the Clymer and the vid Im sure anyone could do these basic up-keep procedures.

This might help for now - being done on a simple Honda single. YouTube has tons of this sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HppcqVpnaFw

Tim, You are the man!

So the same basic principles apply to all twins? Just different locations for the valves. IE: One cover will expose the exhaust and intake valves and they should both be at the same gap spec right?

This guy has several very good vids just walking through basic mechanical Honda specific parts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/IanJSeattle

HerrDeacon said:
I wish adjusting the valves on the KZ was that simple :mad:

KZ is real easy, you can see which lobes are up and down.
Pulling off chain tensioner and removing cams isn't a big deal, usually only happens every 2~3 years unless your doing high milage.

PJ

crazypj said:
KZ is real easy, you can see which lobes are up and down.
Pulling off chain tensioner and removing cams isn't a big deal, usually only happens every 2~3 years unless your doing high milage.

PJ
Yes, I know its an easy job on the KZ, I was just referring to the fact that you could adjust those particular valves just by turning the screw and be done in five minutes, compared to having to remove the tank, valve cover just to check them on the KZ, and then buy different shims and remove the shafts if adjustments are necessary. Considerable more effort on the KZ. Plus if you ruin the valve cover gasket you need to buy another one of those as well. The process is really simple, but its considerably more work compared to the twins.

Fear My Twin said:
This guy has several very good vids just walking through basic mechanical Honda specific parts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/IanJSeattle

Keep in mind that this guy adjusted his timing to the wrong hatch mark on the stator. You will actually want to align to the "F" mark. And off the top of my head, I believe on the larger honda twins (CB350/360 for example) you align the left points to the "FT" and the right side to "F"

quach said:
Keep in mind that this guy adjusted his timing to the wrong hatch mark on the stator. You will actually want to align to the "F" mark. And off the top of my head, I believe on the larger honda twins (CB350/360 for example) you align the left points to the "FT" and the right side to "F"

Left valves to LT, and R valves to T on a Honda twin. An angled feeler gauge makes life MUCH easier unless you just adjust them by feel. Lik this:

feeler_gauge.jpg

Kanticoy said:
Left valves to LT, and R valves to T on a Honda twin. An angled feeler gauge makes life MUCH easier unless you just adjust them by feel. Lik this:

feeler_gauge.jpg

can you use straight feeler gauges?

You use whatever feeler gauges work best for your engine. They make them angled just to fit easier in the access holes, if you need that. Some are made really long too.

So if you're buying a set, give some thought to which style will reach your tappets the easiest.

In the event that you have a Honda twin, getting the tool pictured below will make your life easier. They're made by Motion Pro. One side is set for the intake clearance and the other side is set for the exhaust.

If you don't want to shell out the cash, the one suggestion I'd make is that the bend of your straight feeler gauge should be about 1 to 1.5 cm from the end of the gauge. I initially bent mine about an inch out from the end, and the angle made it tough to get a good read on the clearance.

With this motion pro tool, it is not only bent at the right spot, but it's pretty narrow as well, which enables you to lower it beside the tappet, then slide it in from the side with the gauge already at the correct angle.

cj36018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom