Triton

UK Mark said:
Exhaust was a good experience to have a go at.

what gauge tubing did you use??? what method did you use to polish the welds back??? I always find it a pain to get the consistent look especially around the joins

got a job coming in shortly where the customer wants the same effect??? i normally just leave the raw welds showing rather than polish them back.....may have to order thicker gauge than normal???

Hi Chris, I used standard 1.5mm mandrel bent sections you can buy anywhere. I tacked it and welded the joints with my Mig, but it lays lovely fillets down if I get the wire speed just right.

I used a 4.5" stone in my angle grinder and carefully fettled the weld up, just proud of the tube and then finished it with a decent hand file. A quick whizz over with 180 & 320 grit paper gets rid of any file marks. I use DA discs as they are cheap and come in for all sorts.

That 2 into 1 branch I got carried away with 320 & 600 sanding it and followed by some aggro on a buffing wheel as I thought about nickel plating it.

I'm officially finished with dry assembly now..... I'm sure I said that a few months ago, but that's the way these things go. Paint is all polished and the fairings still fit which was a bit of a worry.

Front mudguard was painted 21 years ago and looks no different to the stuff done this last month, so that will stay as it is.

Will probably tear it down after Christmas, so won't have much to update for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    889.4 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 251
Cheers Chris. I'm confident in having it done, or thereabouts for the Spring now. Think I'll miss tinkering when it's finished.

Thought I ought to sort some suitable gear out for me to ride this and just picked up a nice set of used, black one-piece RST leathers.

Been on the look out for some decent kit for a while and could not resist having these, being slightly used and a fraction of the cost for new. For how often I will ride the bike, they're perfect. I considered buying new, but wouldn't have paid the cost of these (new) so I'm happy with what I have, especially as I ended up laying out a third of what would have been the cheaper option.

Only ever been focused on things the bike needed and not so much for me as the rider. My other bikes are off-roaders, so completely different riding gear.

Pic isn't me, by the way...... it's from RST. Imagine a bloke 20 years older, a few more pounds on and going grey, that would be me then :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,046
UK Mark said:
Thought I ought to sort some suitable gear out for me to ride this and just picked up a nice set of used, black one-piece RST leathers.

Been on the look out for some decent kit for a while and could not resist having these, being slightly used and a fraction of the cost for new. For how often I will ride the bike, they're perfect. I considered buying new, but wouldn't have paid the cost of these (new) so I'm happy with what I have, especially as I ended up laying out a third of what would have been the cheaper option.

Only ever been focused on things the bike needed and not so much for me as the rider. My other bikes are off-roaders, so completely different riding gear.

Pic isn't me, by the way...... it's from RST. Imagine a bloke 20 years older, a few more pounds on and going grey, that would be me then :)

Yea, but I bet HE doesn't have a stunning Triton in his garage or built it himself [ probably ].

Mark - the bike is a credit to you, cabn't wait to see / hear it in the flesh sometime. Kudos

Cheers Beachie, I can't wait to hear it too! I think it will make a fair bit of racket :-\

Link here for a Seeley Weslake.... +15 seconds in and wait for the noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK4Z7rjCJiA

For some reason I missed this thread UKMark, WOW what a bike, I would love to spend time just checking out the mods and details in the flesh...of which there a one or two ;-)

Little update. I recently dropped my engine off to a guy that's raced and maintained Weslake & Nourish units for years.

I'm sure this is something I could have done at home, but I thought I'd call on the experience of someone that can gauge tolerances and assess wear and tear on these engines plus also give some guidance on setting it up properly when it's back in the bike.

Turns out, the internals have little or no wear and it looks to have been maintained just as its previous owner had said...... Result!

So, casings are all cleaned, new seals fitted, valves re-lapped, barrels blasted & re-coated black and it's being put back together with little fuss or expense.

Frames being powder coated and all seems to be on track for it to be done this summer.

Actually spent a couple of weekends tidying the workshop, re-organising benches and tools so I can't wait to start assembly.

Engine plates have all been sanded with superfine paper and polished to a mirror finish, which took me 3 days. Primary cover has had 1 day of polishing so far, which I didn't really want to do, but it does look good. If I would have had the engine at home neither the plates or workshop would have got that attention.

Frame is fettled ready for powder coating and the brackets Id tacked on during dry assembly for a steering damper and fairing mountings are now fully brazed. I dusted on a holding coat of black primer earlier, so it went back to bare metal for removal of any light scars with ease. Doesn't look bad for a 53 year old frame.

The swing arm I bought from Mick Hemmings also had some attention to the flat sections on each leg as they where a little rough on the cut edges from water jet or laser cutting. Nothing too much, but they look much neater after a couple of hours work.

Should have them dropped off for coating this week, so it feels like proper progress again. I was going to paint it black in 2k, as I did years ago but pc seems to be the better option these days. Plus spraying a frame is really tedious, so it saves me unecessary work.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 234
Here's the frame 'before'.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    784.7 KB · Views: 884
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    976.9 KB · Views: 244
I couldn't find a company that could fill the light scrapes to my lower frame tubes, for which there are quite a few and apply powder coat, so I painted it at home in 2k.

Hung it up in another make-shift polythene booth after tidying up the sections needing attention and gave it a good coat of acid etch primer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 244
Then a couple of coats of 2k acrylic primer, that I tinted to make darker

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    696.5 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,015 KB · Views: 239
Let this flash off for 15 minutes and then straight on with 2k black, using a fast activator which allows you to load on the coats with less chance of runs.

Came out nice and clean, with no dirt in the finish, so it just needs a quick nib and polish. It was touch dry after an hour too, which is quick when air drying 2k.

I need to look at how to insert pictures around text to save multiple posts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
I spent a bit of time polishing the engine plates, which I didn't want to do initially, but they came up rather nice. Also made some alloy spacers which fit inbetween the frame brackets, so a longer stud runs through each bracket making a solid connection, instead of 2 x separate bolts & nuts. The rear lower brackets won't allow a long stud as the frame tubes are in the way, so I will re make this spacer and tap it out to take a pair of 3/8 UNF bolts, which I can get in from either side.

I would just have bolted up as normal, but the chap I had overhaul my engine ran a 920 Weslake in a Manx frame and said it made a load of difference with lowering vibrations, so I thought I'd try it out.

It's nice finally putting it back together

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 231
Not much stuff to chrome and picked these up today from a local platers.

That brake lever was rewarding to make and came a long way from being just a bit of plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 941
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 231
Back
Top Bottom