Did a bit of work on the wheels today. I pulled the rear off and sand blasted it ready for painting. I then attempted to remove the front axle, but the bike had other plans. So I removed the fork caps and got a bit of heat into the axle and spacers. After that came the hammer and all was right once again.
That propane torch has become my favourite tool.
After I blasted both front and rear rims I called up the tyre shop and ordered some shoes, this looks to be the first set of road tyres this bike has seen. As I am trying to keep this a very low budget build so I went with the cheapest tyres that will fit. So a Pirelli City Demon on the rear and a Bridgestone Bt45 on the front.
I can tell it has been jumped and had a hard life. There is a flat spot on the front rim, only small which should be easy to fix. The rear shocks are dead, the front seals leak and the retainer bolt at the fork base also leaks on both forks.
Looks like a front end spruce up will be in order, along with new rear shocks. I have a set of Chinese shocks off an old quad I wrecked. They are about 2 inches longer that the set on there and have different sized bushes.
I was thinking of using those but now I am leaning towards having a set made when I have a pair made for my GS.
I also started sanding the tank. I knew it had a hole in it somewhere as one of the first things I noticed when I bought the bike was sticky fuel residue on the bottom of the tank. There is a small crack just below where the back of the tank sits on the rubber mount, nothing a bit of metal epoxy won't fix.