'76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"

Re: '76 Suzuki TS185 "Roker"

Yeah by the looks of it the ignition system won't be a problem. Well aside from the fact that I don't have a key.

From what I was reading you can use a 12v regulator and run 12v lights of ac. If I use a reg/rec (I ordered 1 for $10) will the single phase 6v system be able to keep up?

These smokers are easy to "hot wire". Problem is to shut it off, you have to reach down and disconnect the ignition coil from the charging coil. ;D I ran like this for some time on an old Yamaha.

A single wave current would need a single wave rectifier. That's the extent of my limited knowledge. PM Sonreir, duh.

Yeah I am hopeful that Matt will see this.

I am considering creating a new wiring harness, but that is taking away from my "finish it quick and ride the piss out of it" build tactic.
I might see if I can get a locksmith to cut a key, locking the fuel tank and steering would be nice.

Suzuki are good at one thing and that's providing for their customers. Just call the nearest outlet and give them the code on the lock and they'll provide a key.

As I'm told, they'll even provide a free service manual if it's available.

Haha I am still waiting on 4 copper washers for my GS forks. I think I ordered them 3 months back. Not to sure about the local Suzuki, I will give them a call but they didn't have a listing for my GS when I was in there.

Ohh and I did take a picture of half the seat pan. Here it is Damo.
0becb045522bec8962e0a6feb4e81687.jpg

Also the latch I epoxied in to the seat.
c5c80e05a8d1ad6aa850557d5e756502.jpg

And trimming the frame to let the seat sit flush.
37956fcb7e959c4241d97bc1354e2705.jpg

The advice I got from BradJ is to run your lights off of a separate 12v reg. Apparently, this was not uncommon to do with old enduros.

I agree with Deviant. Your alternator is throwing out AC. It doesn't care if you have a 6 or 12v regulator/rectifier on the end. Are you planning 6v indicators and 12v lights?

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

I am planning on running 12v lighting system and a 6v ignition. So from what I understand if I use a 5 wire 12v reg/rec and run the 3 charging wires into it I should be sweet.

Thanks guys. Electrics aren't my strong point.

Now I just have to work out if I want to use a battery or not. If I give the battery a miss I will have a lot more room and a lot less weight.
I think a capacitor might be the go. That and a low slung chamber rather than a high one.
Should give me enough room under the seat to store a tool kit and a beer or two.

I know jackshit but I think if you can retro fit a later cdi stator plate and pick up ignition will be a piece of piss and 100% reliable. I know its possible to use a C50 cub unit for 4 stroke singles. There must be a chinese clone 2 stroke system that you can adapt for peanuts. after all, they all need to go bang a roughly the same point regardless of cc?

It has electronic ignition on it so I think I am right with that. As long as the unit is all good. As for the key issue, I was quited $100 to have a key cut. Not to keen on that. I might call up a few other places.

At the moment I am drawing a new wiring diagram while I wait for paint to dry. Thought I might give the triples a lick of paint. Although I forgot to take a before of the lower as I was busy beating the bearing race off it.
74e7feaa7be3e2f17c1bd64e36263841.jpg

8c67e8ae7f2f2f7c6b7479403af9c335.jpg

b748cdc758769351fb2dd235a54e6745.jpg

Was the race that bad?

These keys were made in limited combinations, so they should be available from Suzuki. On eBay they have auctions for 4-digit Honda keys. Pick any combo you want. Try to find a Suzuki lot.

Redliner said:
Was the race that bad?

It was ball bearings... and had no dust seal....

Easy enough to go tapers with dust seals and be done with it.

Ohh and just to see I tried the GS key. It didn't work.

Also, does anyone have a spare TS200 motor laying around... Might be a nice upgrade in the future if I enjoy this bike.

I finished drawing up a new diagram for the 12v convert. Question is will it work?

Attachments

• 12v ts185.png
    12v ts185.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 451
Guess I will just rewire the bike and see how I go. I have been looking into using a capacitor instead of a battery. But that can be worked out a bit later on.

I cleaned up the fork legs and gave them a lick of paint. I am really digging this expoy paint. First time I have used it, I normally stick with acrylic.

1d057a6d8218ba72728767e1ff082c90.jpg

I also finished painting the frame the other day but never got around to posting a picture.

979af2bb1af83643c0da28704fef1f48.jpg

When I went to rebuild the swing arm one of the bushes decided to explode into crust. So it looks like I will have to get two made up at work. I will have to see who is on in the workshop this week.

Also the new rear brake pedal arrived today, wrecker special. I gave it some paint at the same time as the forks.
e27ba04725d5f87b2708f0f816b0212f.jpg

Redliner said:
Classic Bakelite bushing eh? Haha

Might find somebody turning bronze bushings today.

Yep, good old crap. The new bushing will more than likely end up being some kind of scrap food grade plastic. Quite a few bushings get turned up at work for all the pumps we have so I am sure there is plenty of stock to make two bushings from.

Thanks. I still have no idea what colour to paint it. As you can see from the seat I was leaning towards red.

Back
Top Bottom