Ohio: reassigning a title to the correct year ('69 to a '68)

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
This post is part question, part tutorial. I'll post info here as I progress, but also figured I'd start the topic now in case anyone has any insight.

I've got a CB350 frame with a VIN number denoting it a 1968, however it is titled as a 1969. I read online (reliable, huh?) that older vehicles were sometimes titled in the year sold, not the model year. Apparently this was the case. My dilemma is this, I was gifted a 1968 plate from an older friend, it was the plate on his first motorcycle in 1968, so its important to me that this plate is used on my finished project. So, how do I go about correcting the title to reflect the proper model year?

First step: Called the local title bureau. I got the usual "I have no idea" response so I called Columbus (state capital) and they said I can take the VIN to an Ohio State Highway Patrol station and they will check the VIN. If indeed it is a 1968 VIN then I can proceed to the next step, although the title worker did not elaborate as to what that was. Knowing the title bureau it's either a hefty fee, my first born, or both :D

I have the VIN written down, but I will take a photo of the frame as well. The title is in the middle of being notarized by the seller so hopefully I don't need that at that time. I am planning on stopping this week, so I will update once I have done that.

So far it doesn't sound impossible, so I'm being cautiously optimistic...

So many have had trouble titleing bikes in Ohio that the only advise I can give is just get the good title in your name before trying anything else.

Tom

Great, thank you Tom. It is so hit or miss here. The annoying part is having to get your title notarized by the seller. Also, it seems on depending on which clerk you get at the window determines how difficult your experience would be.

I purchased an enduro from someone in Cleveland a few years back, and they never had the title transferred into their name from previous owner. Previous owner was from California (of course) and had never signed the title for the guy I bought it from. I went to the bureau and asked the clerk what to do. She said that in California titles do not have to be notarized, and that I should go into the parking lot, have the seller sign it, and then come back in and she will transfer the title. Of course the seller was not in the parking lot! Went outside, signed the title in the previous owner's name, and had my title transferred. If I had another clerk though, they may have said sorry you're screwed. Moral of the story- if you're in a pinch try another title bureau you might get hooked up.

Hoping to get to OSHP tomorrow. Will update the thread when I get more info.

Please note! In Ohio the seller and buyer must have their name on the notarized title!!!

A friend bought a bike with just the owners name notarized on the title and when he took the title in he forgot to sign his own name (buyer) on the back. The clerk voided the title. Total sucking freak out.

Geez, if you can get a good title in your name with the correct Vin for the frame then thankfully shout Valentino Rossi's name three times with joy. :)

Tom

Tom, thanks, I appreciate that info.

So, I called the Patrol today. The guy who answered laughed when I told him what columbus told me. He said I "definitely got some bad information" well, go figure. I laughed because I was not surprised at all. He did not expand upon how it works, but he gave me the number to the salvage division of the title bureau, 330-769-5089. Apparently they are the ones to handle it. They are located in Seville, south of Medina. Upon calling, I was informed I did have the correct division, but they close at 2:45 every day. I said "must be nice" and she said "well, they start early"... anyhow, I will call again tomorrow.

I'm thinking I may have to take the frame to them for inspection. I'll find out and report back...

Ok, I called the Salvage Division. The guy was like "we don't do that..." Apparently if the motorcycle (or car) is reassembled they will issue either a salvage rebuilt or a new title if no title is on file. So, they referred me to the local title bureau...

She did some checking by the VIN. The bike was transferred in from a PA title a number of years ago. She did, however, dispel the myth of bikes being titled in the year of sale vs. the year manufactured. She said they have always titled the bike based on the manufacturer's certificate of origin.

She went on to explain that because the bike is so old and that most of the title transfers over the years were done by hand instead of computer that its possible that there was a typo along the line and the 68 was changed to a 69 by accident. I gave her the bike's VIN and she put me on hold for an extended period of time to check some records. Apparently I now need to go back to the Salvage division, but only once I have a COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED motorcycle. The salvage division will not reassign a title to a frame only.

So, according to the salvage division and the title bureau, I have a "very good" chance that my motorcycle will be approved and the title will be assigned to the correct year. However, is this a chance I am willing to take? I'm not sure yet. Unfortunately my frame has a damaged rear shock mount as well as a footpeg mount that someone did an awful job of brazing, so that section of frame needs cut out and a new piece welded in. I'm not sure if it's worth the money to fix, but a new titled frame will run me several hundred bucks and I haven't even seen a 68 for sale anywhere.

Long story short, if you have a motorcycle with the incorrect year, the salvage division will do an inspection in person and can assign a new title with the proper year based on the VIN. A title correction foor just a frame however aint gonna happen.

Ugh lol.

Back
Top Bottom