Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

sbruton said:
Wow. What a pain in the ass. I HATE stripping old paint... As nice it is to have a sexy new paint job it's almost worth just sanding/ filling over the old paint so you don't have to deal with this stuff. My experience is the same as yours. The "environmentally friendly" stuff doesn't work well and the stuff that does work is toxic as hell!

A coarse grit in a blasting cabinet will prep a tank in no time flat... and leave a good surface for your primer or filler. I'm pretty well done with chemical stripping.

3DogNate said:
A coarse grit in a blasting cabinet will prep a tank in no time flat... and leave a good surface for your primer or filler. I'm pretty well done with chemical stripping.

I actually ended up doing that afterwards anyway to clean up the mess :mad: ;D

Here's a clearer shot of the hidden battery. By the time I got the brake pedal, the foot peg and the exhaust on, it ends up pretty much unseen.

I also decided to get some nice fabric covered spark lead. I reckon it looks mint.

Attachments

• SR250_HiddenBattery1.jpg
    SR250_HiddenBattery1.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 286
  • SR250_FabricSparkLead.jpg
    SR250_FabricSparkLead.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 245
Heres a shot showing the tank after I gave it a quick blast. Also, a rare shot from the left side of the bike. I wheeled it outside and it felt good to show it some daylight after so long!

Then it was back into the shop to complete the wiring and start work on the side covers and prepping the engine. I also took the tank off and dropped it at a professional painters today. Hoping it comes up good. If it comes up like any of the other stuff I saw in their shop, I'll be happy.

Btw, what are your experiences with how much a tank costs to spray? Doesn't matter about currency, I'll convert it. Cheers!

Attachments

• Jadus_StrippedTank.JPG
    Jadus_StrippedTank.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 284
JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Btw, what are your experiences with how much a tank costs to spray? Doesn't matter about currency, I'll convert it. Cheers!

For show quality paint (Bikes I've painted have won best paint in shows.). For a typical solid color Japanese tank , I'll charge $250-300. Tank and Fender $4-5, Tank & 2 fenders and side covers will get $600... and that's no graphics or metal flake.

Dual Harley tanks and fenders I price a bit higher they are just physically larger... Add graphics and it starts adding up.

Thanks for the info man.

The guy was gonna take 1800sek plus tax, which is 25% here! Mental. Anyway, total will then be 2235sek = $260usd. So about right really? I remember getting a tank and some side covers done in Australia for $250 cash and was happy with that.

its tits,man ,titty la ritty ...looks like you found a nitch for the creative skills \ congratulatioins !
i think an optional flyscreen ,would be a hit,right along the ssame style as the vmax unit my a&h twin is going to be sporting
see, the large-ish round headlight really is well suited to a flyscreen perched above it ,in my mind aesthetically

The pain remover from Biltema? It has worked well for me on new paint but not so well on the old Yamaha paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xb33bsa said:
its tits,man ,titty la ritty ...looks like you found a nitch for the creative skills \ congratulatioins !
i think an optional flyscreen ,would be a hit,right along the ssame style as the vmax unit my a&h twin is going to be sporting
see, the large-ish round headlight really is well suited to a flyscreen perched above it ,in my mind aesthetically

Thanks! I know exactly what you mean with a flyscreen. It would need to be the right shape, but it would be cool and boy would it help with anything like that for the highway! The light weight and lowish power of this bikes makes it a bit of a battle and you get blown around a lot. So deflect any frontal air would be a help.

Eleganten said:
The pain remover from Biltema? It has worked well for me on new paint but not so well on the old Yamaha paint.

Na, I got the environmental stuff from Jula. Bad mistake haha. I'll try the Biltema stuff next time or just get straight on with it with the blaster.

Thanks! I know exactly what you mean with a flyscreen. It would need to be the right shape, but it would be cool and boy would it help with anything like that for the highway! The light weight and lowish power of this bikes makes it a bit of a battle and you get blown around a lot. So deflect any frontal air would be a help.
I got a solid one from ebay that was listed as a replacement for a pocket bike. I'm using the OEM speedo unit too and the flyscreen seems to disguise it well. Need to fab-up some side mounts and paint it to match the tank but price and size seemed right.
Edit - it is a bit small if you are really looking for a windshield, but seemed to work for me as a flyscreen to hide the speedo, integrate with the headlight and deflect a little air.

well the vmax unit i am using is just right and has a way cool look if you can find one they are out of production
here is one of mine i added the carbon fibre accent panels thats all
wd40 can for scale they are small and likely would boost top speed, certainly not take away from an upright rider position

Attachments

• sneakpeek at fk'm 002.JPG
    sneakpeek at fk'm 002.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 228
  • sneakpeek at fk'm 006.JPG
    sneakpeek at fk'm 006.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 216
zap2504 said:
Edit - it is a bit small if you are really looking for a windshield, but seemed to work for me as a flyscreen to hide the speedo, integrate with the headlight and deflect a little air.

Yeah, I don't think a windshield would quite suit, more a flyscreen. I will mock one up and see how it looks, then decide.

Running with xbs idea, I thought something a bit more like this... But maybe in satin or even matte black. To go with the rest of the minimalism on the bike.

Attachments

• dart-flyscreen-ducati-sport-classic-2.jpg
    dart-flyscreen-ducati-sport-classic-2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • dart-flyscreen-black_screen.jpg
    dart-flyscreen-black_screen.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,042
yep that one is pretty low but it depends on relation to riders head
better to start i bit taller a feller can always cut it down
now i would be investing in a smoke machine jake
and have some accomplishes ahead of you in their 1977 675,000 km rabbit diesel pickup(you dont want a smoke vehicle faster than you on the 2 five oh)
then with a smoke wand you can have a rolling wind tunnel just dont get too caried away watching the smoke if you are the bike pilot
that could get ugly
surley the staters woont mind would they ?(state hiway police)

Haha, love the 'rolling wind tunnel' idea. I searched on youtube to see if anyone has done it - not that I could find. Would like to see it be done!

I am trying to tidy a few things up on the bike now, namely some of the wiring. Some of the connections/plugs end up in awkward places so I decided to modify a couple of them to make them more hidden. One example is the rec/reg unit. Now one plug connects right behind it and the other connects under the seat instead.

I also received the 3D files for the scanned side covers yesterday, plus the physical stock ones back in the mail from the dude. Now the modelling fun begins!

Attachments

• IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 207
  • SR250_SideCovers_Classic.jpg
    SR250_SideCovers_Classic.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 215
  • SR250_SideCovers3D.jpg
    SR250_SideCovers3D.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 211
xb33bsa said:
yep that one is pretty low but it depends on relation to riders head
better to start i bit taller a feller can always cut it down
now i would be investing in a smoke machine jake
and have some accomplishes ahead of you in their 1977 675,000 km rabbit diesel pickup(you dont want a smoke vehicle faster than you on the 2 five oh)
then with a smoke wand you can have a rolling wind tunnel just dont get too caried away watching the smoke if you are the bike pilot
that could get ugly
surley the staters woont mind would they ?(state hiway police)

"Rolling Wind Tunnel"

Hmmm lets see... 50" tube 80" long at 4deg up angle moving at 50mph creates 9001.00000000832314 lbs of lift.

It might have you at 2500 feet in 4 miles mang :eek:

Back
Top Bottom