www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build  (Read 82186 times)

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Re: Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build
« Reply #660 on: Oct 18, 2016, 11:04:13 »
Got the tank back from the painters today and it is awesome.  I think he did a pretty sweet job of matching the satin black of the frame, fenders and headlight ears :)

One thing I don't like though is how the Yamaha badges sit on an angle in relation to the bottom of the tank.  This suited the bike/tank in its original location, but now that everything is all levelled out it really bothers me.  I'm thinking about trimming the screws (so they are only the countersunk head), glueing them onto the bags, then putting the badge on with automotive double sided foam assembly tape at the right angle I want...

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #661 on: Oct 18, 2016, 11:06:07 »
Also, I think I found my wind shield  ;D ;D Jokes.

I think I'll skip one for this build though and design one for the next project - which will be more of a road racer style  ;)

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
« Reply #662 on: Oct 18, 2016, 13:03:39 »
Looks fantastic!  (not the wind shield though!! :) )

Did you lower the forks internally at all, OR just slide them up in the triple so you can fasten the clip-ons?

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #663 on: Oct 19, 2016, 04:32:17 »
Na I didn't lower them internally.  I will look at that in another build potentially.  In this case the stanchions are just raised though the triples 60mm.  Which is the max without causing bottoming issues with the lower triple tree bracket.  If you are interested check back through this build to page 38 where I checked to see if the frame geometry would all be ok  :D

Offline sbruton

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Where the fvck is that money you owe me?!?
« Reply #664 on: Oct 19, 2016, 11:23:11 »
I think we touched on this in the past... I like the stance with the lower front end and was curious how low you were able to go.  I'll note the 60mm when I work on my front end.  I'll probably lower mine internally 40mm (ish) and then slide them up in the triple for the final position.

Offline grcamna5

« Reply #665 on: Oct 19, 2016, 12:41:53 »
Jadus,
I'm not able to see how the orientation of the YAMAHA badges are in relation to the rest of the bike as it sits on it's wheels or ride height;they are not straight ?
Do your Best,no one can take that from you.

Offline zap2504

« Reply #666 on: Oct 19, 2016, 14:46:37 »
Jadus,
I'm not able to see how the orientation of the YAMAHA badges are in relation to the rest of the bike as it sits on it's wheels or ride height;they are not straight ?
If you click on the image above (SilverYamaha) it will open in a dedicated window. It looks like the tail end of the YAMAHA script is lower than the leading end.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #667 on: Oct 19, 2016, 15:09:11 »
If you click on the image above (SilverYamaha) it will open in a dedicated window. It looks like the tail end of the YAMAHA script is lower than the leading end.

You're right zap.  grcamna it is a bit of a bad photo to show it but the logo does lean back.  At least 10 degrees I would say.  I am being pedantic now, but seeing as I have treated most parts (down to every last nut and bolt!) with a detailed eye, I figure why not get the badge spot on as well.  After all, I love yammies and it should be straight haha  ;D

Offline Eleganten

« Reply #668 on: Oct 20, 2016, 12:34:58 »
Why not design a nice emblem your self? Wouldn't be to hard to cut it out of a piece of aluminum with a good laser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #669 on: Oct 21, 2016, 05:42:14 »
Why not design a nice emblem your self? Wouldn't be to hard to cut it out of a piece of aluminum with a good laser.

I did think about doing that but I really like the way these badges look.  There is something so 'original yamaha' about them that I don't think I could replicate with a laser cut or CNC part.  They would look too custom in my mind, which is something I would like to avoid.  Good thought though as it might suit other styles of builds   :)

Offline 3DogNate

• "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
« Reply #670 on: Oct 21, 2016, 12:01:15 »
I did think about doing that but I really like the way these badges look.  There is something so 'original yamaha' about them that I don't think I could replicate with a laser cut or CNC part.  They would look too custom in my mind, which is something I would like to avoid.  Good thought though as it might suit other styles of builds   :)

I think that it's awesome that you are making this bike look very much like a "factory" bike. But yet on further examination very custom... very bad ass "resto-mod" style.

Offline Ping

« Reply #671 on: Oct 21, 2016, 15:14:15 »
Wow! Epic build, Jadus! I really appreciate it. Everything looks so clean and new. As it should be with projects :)
I loved your style with 3D printing. I myself study printing engineering so your build is inspiration for my future ideas. I started studying it with an idea to somehow incorporate it into motorcycles and you've just done it :D

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #672 on: Oct 22, 2016, 05:29:45 »
I think that it's awesome that you are making this bike look very much like a "factory" bike. But yet on further examination very custom... very bad ass "resto-mod" style.

Thanks! Yeah that has pretty much been the goal from the outset.  'Resto-mod' is a pretty good description!  Something with subtle mods, nothing too extreme and something totally Yamaha.  A standard, like Yamaha made before the whole 'Special' styled bikes came along in the 80's.  I tried to envision what the SR250 could have looked like if it was released as a standard first - like the XS650, SR500 and even XS750's/850's and XS1100's - before they all got their own 'Special' styling treatment.  I think it was a shame the SR250 didn't have the chance to be styled like those original bikes  :(  I know that this build has a lot of stuff on it that Yamaha would never had done in production, but then I had to make it a little bit Jadus too didn't I?!  ;D

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #673 on: Oct 22, 2016, 05:31:54 »
Just for reference, here is a better, clearer image of how the tank badge sits in relation to the bottom edge of the tank and the frame rail.  I will definitely be placing them in the position I want with the double sided foam tape and just putting the screw heads there.

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #674 on: Oct 22, 2016, 05:37:16 »
Every one of these bikes I have owned, the underside of the tank has had surface rust on it.  With this one, I blasted all that off before taking it to the painter.  Then when I got it back, I see that the underside isn't covered!  After looking at the other 2 tanks I have, I see that they are not either...  Is it difficult to get into the tunnel with a spray gun?  Or is it just considered not important?  Anyway, I masked this one up and bombed it with some satin black to at least cover the bare metal.  Don't know if it will help at all with corrosion resistance, but it did something for my peace of mind anyway!  Managed not to mess up the top side with over spray  ;D