Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here but is anyone else seeing some cool resemblances of the duc aircooled heads? I know an SR is a far cry from a duc, but it is the single cam with rockers (imagine an SR with desmo valves haha) and valve covers arrangement that makes the similarity I think. The last shot of an older bevel drive duc has some pretty cool finned covers 8)

Attachments

• 146_0901_05_z+2009_ducati_monster_1100+desmo_engine.jpg
    146_0901_05_z+2009_ducati_monster_1100+desmo_engine.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 477
  • 2013-Ducati-Monster-796-Engine1.jpg
    2013-Ducati-Monster-796-Engine1.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 543
  • tcducati.jpg
    tcducati.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,446
JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Thanks man. Yeah, that printer is the best investment I ever made. After working as an industrial/product design engineer for 7 years i know that seeing physical prototypes is the best way to understand your design and the best way to make design/form decisions. I am definitely in agreement with you about the engine covers. I'll show you the valve covers I printed last night that I think I will go with - at least get them made in aluminium and test them anyway.

Yeah I'm in Malmö. Kolding ay, just checked it on the map. You studying there or commuting somewhere else? I actually saw your LS650 thread and really like what you're doing. I followed the Ryca dudes right from the beginning - way back when they were first written about in The Kneeslider in 2010 http://thekneeslider.com/ryca-cs-1-suzuki-s40-cafe-conversion/ But I feel your direction will offer something new. That first shot on your thread is so awesome! Do you know much about that particular bike?

Thanks man! It's awesome you think so, it's really cool to see people appreciate your designs. Am currently studying Industrial Design on Kolding School of Design. Kolding is pretty much the only place to study serious design in Denmark, other than that it's more or less a bleak city with horrible flat riding country all around..
Like I wrote over in my thread; The LS650 was my first bike and followed the scene since, especially the Ryca guys (via The Kneeslider no less!), what they did and the potential they unleashed from that humble single cylinder was really inspirational. Magic happens when an unrestricted single cylinder thumper is unleashed.

Would be great to bounce some ideas man! I could also print some small stuff for you if/when you come to that. Congrats on the bike purchase btw, now your project can really get started!

Thanks man that's awesome! Plan on reusing/repurposing as many stock parts as possible, but knowing someone with a 3D printer will definitely let the creative juices flow more freely 8)

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here but is anyone else seeing some cool resemblances of the duc aircooled heads?
Not nessecarily clutching at straws, there is a slight resemblance; the angled dual valve covers, the overall proportions of the head, the SR's fins extend a little more forward though. It could be cool with a '250' cover (perhaps round with recessed writing like the clutch cover?) on both sides of the head, spark plug and opposite like the later Duc pic with the '750' 8)

So you think the longer fins would be better?
No idea. It may turn out that neither short nor long fins actually reduce cylinder head temps at all - that is where the prototyping comes in. I was just thinking that either one might look fine if painted silver (instead of the "printed" black plastic) - less noticeable against the engine. But I still like the look of the horizontal fins better (again, maybe vertical fins work better; maybe neither horizontal nor vertical do anything).

If you make one with connections for an oil cooler I'm down for one! If they fit the SR500 that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I have been working on when the printer has been running... Just went live with my homepage/webshop, facebook page and instagram account. Check it out if you like! The insta account has been running a few days but sort of just made everything proper public today.

http://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/
https://www.facebook.com/jadusparts
https://instagram.com/jadusmotorcycleparts/

Everywhere I write something I write 'we' 'us' 'our' etc for the Jadus 'team'. Haha, feels weird, its just me, one man band. Who knows, maybe I'll get someone else to help in the future too but not for a long time yet I imagine. But you know, it always sounds better when it seems like there is a team behind the brand for some reason.

Anyway, this build/these parts are being developed in real time so keep the feedback coming. Also if you have any feedback on the webpage that's also really appreciated. I think a team designed part will always be better than one individual. Also, I would love to help anyone who has any questions about any of the stuff I have done/modifications made etc.

Cheers

Maybe I'm clutching at straws here but is anyone else seeing some cool resemblances of the duc aircooled heads? I know an SR is a far cry from a duc, but it is the single cam with rockers (imagine an SR with desmo valves haha) and valve covers arrangement that makes the similarity I think. The last shot of an older bevel drive duc has some pretty cool finned covers 8)

Make it happin capn!

Looks really nice! Where are you working "for real"? Need to start thinking about doing my bachelors final pro hem somewhere...

Something I have been working on when the printer has been running... Just went live with my homepage/webshop, facebook page and instagram account. Check it out if you like! The insta account has been running a few days but sort of just made everything proper public today.

http://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/
https://www.facebook.com/jadusparts
https://instagram.com/jadusmotorcycleparts/

Everywhere I write something I write 'we' 'us' 'our' etc for the Jadus 'team'. Haha, feels weird, its just me, one man band. Who knows, maybe I'll get someone else to help in the future too but not for a long time yet I imagine. But you know, it always sounds better when it seems like there is a team behind the brand for some reason.

Anyway, this build/these parts are being developed in real time so keep the feedback coming. Also if you have any feedback on the webpage that's also really appreciated. I think a team designed part will always be better than one individual. Also, I would love to help anyone who has any questions about any of the stuff I have done/modifications made etc.

Cheers
It would be real cool to offer a complete kit for the front fork brace, gaiter adapters and the gaiters you used (and maybe the front fender?). Also - any plans to offer the bolt-on tail loop? On the ordering end of your site: Shipping cost calculator? Euro to whatever currency calculator? Paypal account setup?
Great beginning!

zap2504 said:
It would be real cool to offer a complete kit for the front fork brace, gaiter adapters and the gaiters you used (and maybe the front fender?). Also - any plans to offer the bolt-on tail loop? On the ordering end of your site: Shipping cost calculator? Euro to whatever currency calculator? Paypal account setup?
Great beginning!

Thanks Zap, that's really good feedback. I have been in contact with two workshops that could make the fenders for me to my specifications - just waiting for prices. Same goes for the rear frame loop. I hope to add them to the shop soon.

With regards to the shipping and costs, that is a really good point. I will look into that asap.

Eleganten said:
Looks really nice! What bike is that to begin with? Transalp?

Thanks! Yeah good spotting. Its the '96 model with throttle position sensor, transistorised ignition and the bigger single disc brake. The best year imho before it changed to the 650. Its such a rat bike but its real fun with that 17'' wheel up the front and an exhaust header from a 750 Africa Twin :)

You can see a short clip (with sound) of it if you search the hashtag #jadusmotorcycleparts

What can I say, I have a good eye for bikes once my friends in high school kind of mocked me for always knowing cars and bikes so when we were out drinking one night we heard this horrible sounding car. A friend of mine asked me if I knew what "car" made that sound. So I said in a joke full voice; " it's a rust brown old SAAB 900 with the left headlight broken and a black sun screen in the back" and continued walking down the street with my beer in hand. And I'm not shitting you when I say that about 40 seconds later the sound grows stronger and around the bend comes a rust brown SAAB 900 with the left headlight broken and a black sun screen in the back! Everybody just stood still with their mouths wide open whilst I kept on walking! Moment of my life! Guess I had seen it before and recognized the sound but it still makes me smile like crazy when I think about it.

After chasing up a few times, I finally got these today. But man, worth the wait. Really high quality and high level of craftsmanship here. I would have loved to have made them myself, but I will have to wait a while before I can buy a tube bender, lathe, and TIG welder haha. I got him to leave the bolt holes a standard 5mm and I will drill and tap them myself - to save him time and me the cost. This will mean that when they are put on the bike, I wont need to use an ugly nut, rather, just a black button head allen bolt.

In the photo you can see the two steel handle bars - left and right, plus a prototype I printed out just for the guy. He only had a 3'' bend radius tool so I modified the design slightly to fit his equipment. Still gets the rights design intent and will look dope when mounted. He said it was super helpful to have something other than just a drawing to make the parts with - to compare with and that. 3D printer pays for itself again!

I got talking to the guy who made them and he is one of the only dudes in Sweden legally certified to design and weld up roll cages for racing cars - which includes a lot of knowledge about metallurgy and of coarse several welding certificates. Really nice humble guy too. Feels good to do business with good people :D

Attachments

• IMG_7466.jpg
    IMG_7466.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_7465.jpg
    IMG_7465.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 370
  • IMG_7463.JPG
    IMG_7463.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 402
Eleganten said:
Looks really nice! Where are you working "for real"? Need to start thinking about doing my bachelors final pro hem somewhere...

You mean my day job? I was working as a product developer for Trust Care in Malmo. But I quit and now I am self-employed doing some design consulting, working with this and doing some repair work on bikes - both push bikes and motorbikes. Just trying to get by really!

You wanting to do a final project for design? If you're interested in medical/aid products then speak to Diego at Trust Care, he might be interested in you doing a project there... Worth a shot anyway.

Eleganten said:
Looks awesome! Who's the guy you're talking about?

His name is Bengt Wittander - he owns/runs Competition Cars in Dalby. Hes usually super busy and he is crazy for cycling. Top bloke with mad skills.

It feels like I have been working hard on stuff but not coming very far with the bike itself - hard to see/visualise the progress. That all changed yesterday when I got a few hours in the workshop. Its great when a lot of planning and work on small details just comes together - like being able to see the real tangible results.

I took all the real parts I have so far, plus some prototype parts and assembled them on the bike to see if I am on track with my vision and to make some colour/finish decisions. In Swedish there is a word 'fuska' which translates to 'cheat', but that's a bad translation. It really means to fake it i think think - so everything on this mockup was fake pretty much, just to see how it looks. For example, all the black parts are just spray bombed with a rattle can one coat and there are no cables or electrical harness or anything - just a rolling chassis. Was cool to see how neatly the rear frame loop fitted though, and the ignition bracket!

I was pleasantly surprised that its pretty close to how I want it to look. I will play a bit more with the balance between chrome, aluminium and matte black. Right now its too black for me, I think I will bead blast the forks to visually lighten the front end a little, plus I am thinking of using an aluminum or chrome tail light to tie the whole package together. When I was looking for inspiration I was checking out old Vincents and old Matchless motorcycles. They looked so classy and elegant in just silver, chrome and black 8)

There is still a shit load of work to do - strip, blast and paint everything, sort out the electrics, service and detail the engine, tune the engine, sort the controls - cables etc. Im not happy with the side covers yet either so I will do a bit more there. But I'm on the right track it feels :D

Attachments

• 1955Matchless.jpg
    1955Matchless.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_7505.JPG
    IMG_7505.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG