Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
So if it has to go (because the stock SR set up IS butt ugly), why not replace it with a proper filtered intake trumpet rather than just a clamp on filter - you might get back some of the power lost and maybe even (with a wish and a prayer) even get a small gain (up top only) ;)
This has actually been accomplished by others I've seen (mostly on forums of 4-cyl bikes) where the OEM air box has been damaged beyond repair or removed by the PO and is NLA. Solutions have ranged from re-using the OEM velocity stacks/connecting boots that were in the original air box or adapting PVC piping from the carb intakes to good-quality individual aftermarket filters (like K&N) or to a home-brew plenum constructed from even larger diameter PVC pipe and a single filter. But the bottom line has been that you cannot accomplish the same "cafe racer tabloid look" (AKA empty frame triangle) without a decrease in performance (in the area that the bike will really be used) and a lot of work to even get it drivable in the upper range.
Maybe a future project to do a 3-D printed air box that looks good?

Holley and KeiHin are far from apples. I would sooner spit in the manifold than run a Holley, fuckin Carter AFB is a better mixer... JMO 8)

I have two CB750's with pods and both launch with more power than the cops allow... seems you are doing something wrong. I do agree it could be better with a stock box and a good after market filter. This subject will never be any different than the current election process, free or freeload. haaah!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Holley and KeiHin are far from apples. I would sooner spit in the manifold than run a Holley, fuckin Carter AFB is a better mixer... JMO 8)

I have two CB750's with pods and both launch with more power than the cops allow... seems you are doing something wrong. I do agree it could be better with a stock box and a good after market filter. This subject will never be any different than the current election process, free or freeload. haaah!
My analogy is related to vacuum and velocity. Obviously they are very different, but the need to mix fuel and air appropriately is the same. Conditions must be matched.

Tune-A-Fish said:
I would sooner spit in the manifold than run a Holley, fuckin Carter AFB is a better mixer... JMO 8)
As far as this statement, I'm not as hot and cold to compare the two. Except that Holley is waaaaaaay more tunable. I'm running a Holley on an Edelbrock manifold and happy to be there. I'd run a Demon before an Edelbrock (Carter) carb anyway.

I can tune a holley but I can't Tune-A-Fishy!

If you can't tune your holley it's because it's too big!

Same as bikes!

Velocity Velocity Velocity!

Over anal-eyes-ation!

Want a faster bike? Sell the 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demon is a Holley init? I like fuel injection now so anything less is too much work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I've struck a nerve. I'll try and stay away from performance based discussions! I actually have a bigger, faster bike. But that's not the point now is it? We do this cos its fun and we love wasting money on two wheeled machines right?

On another note, I touched up some images of the engine as it is now showing off the bolt kit and the latest valve inspection covers 8)

Attachments

• Engine1.jpg
    Engine1.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 282
  • Engine2.jpg
    Engine2.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 273
  • Engine3.jpg
    Engine3.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Engine6.jpg
    Engine6.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 275
stroker crazy said:
Some numbers:

Yeah that's a great article, love finding stuff like that. Posted it two pages ago in this thread ;)

Heres some real world numbers too: http://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/emr-adj-length-intake/

Rather than theories and simulations :)

Started doing some more work on the carb too and noticed properly this time the JIS screws that doc_rat pointed out to me - the punched dot is a giveaway. Even though I have noticed it before, I never knew what it was. Cheers man.

Attachments

• IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 261
JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Looks like I've struck a nerve.
Lighten up will ya. Just stirring some marbles in to the jelly.

I just came up with that. It's a metaphor. ;D

Engine looks great! What kind of oil will you be using... :-X

DohcBikes said:

Marbles aren't apples.

I commend you for putting together a bolt kit that is not stainless steel.

DohcBikes said:

Haha, you're a stirrer! I almost spat my coffee out when I read this comment of yours 'Over anal-eyes-ation!' lol You're right though, way over complicating a simple function... and only for a 250. Fun exercise though ;D

I have actually designed a version of these finned valve covers for the infamous TW200 as well. They were quite similar to the SR ones so I decided to buy a used set from ebay and transfer some of the minor dimensional and detail changes to make them. The cool thing is, these also fit the SR125 and the XT225. I would love to know if there was any interest for these... I rekon they would help with the TW200 (and the others) running hot. A known issue if you're going to be running on the highway for a stretch. I would get them made with a black anodized finish to match the TW200s black engine. 5-axis CNC machined 6063 billet aluminium 8)

Something cool that I just found out... They are still making the TW200! Exactly the same as it was when it was released back in 1987!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPcYzRUTgo

Attachments

• TW200_ValveCovers.jpg
    TW200_ValveCovers.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • TW200_ValveCoversInside.jpg
    TW200_ValveCoversInside.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 258
Looks awesome!

Maybe you could make some parts for the Honda 650 RFVC engine? Loads of guys are using those but I can't think of anything more than a new oil filter cover though..

Jadus please pm me with a price for the valve inspection caps.

FYI they will also fit YTM200 and YTM225 Three wheelers, as well as YFM200 YFM225 and YFM250 Moto4 ATV engines. So that's 5 more models over several years that you can market those to.

I am currently building a high compression big bore YTM225 engine, I'm gonna need a set.

Jadus, please PM me with a price for TW200 valve inspection caps.

You're right, the TW200 is largely unchanged since '87, with some notable exceptions, like deletion of the kicker, change to a disc brake on the front wheel and a more powerful stator. From a few feet away, the only difference you'd notice is colour.

Back
Top Bottom