Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

Haha . . .Actually, that likely would work excellently! No telling how long it would last, but despite the hokey commercial, it does seem to have all the characteristics you would want to do the job.

jpmobius said:
Haha . . .Actually, that likely would work excellently! No telling how long it would last, but despite the hokey commercial, it does seem to have all the characteristics you would want to do the job.
time to draw back the curtain mobie, admit it, that is you slinging glue on tv
at your digs, the ex gaitor farm, in flo-rid-duh

Thought I'd share this pic sent in to me by a customer. He was willing to try and fit the Jadus header to an XT250 of the same SR production years so I offered him free shipping and return if it didn't. But it fit! Looks wicked. Only downside, he had to remove the bash plate I think. Can't wait to see how his build turns out :D

Attachments

• XT250_Header.jpg
    XT250_Header.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 222
Sweet, found these grommets fit these spacers I had lying around that are made for M6 bolts. Will install these on the guard like jpmobius suggested :)

Also bought some new mirrors for the bike. Decided I didn't like the Harley ones after all. These ones have nice proportions and fit with the rest of the design of the bike 8)

Attachments

• GuardVibeIsolation.jpg
    GuardVibeIsolation.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 232
  • SR_mirrors.jpg
    SR_mirrors.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 211
I wonder if other people have had this issue? When you upgrade the rear shocks on an SR250, they often have wider springs or at least springs that extend all the way to the eye/mounting point of the shock - unlike the thin stock ones. This causes interference with the chain guard and even worse, the chain itself. Therefor, the new suspension needs to be spaced off the frame a little. Fine, add a couple of washers right? Well, you can do that but this leaves the eye of the suspension hanging unsupported over a fair amount of the threaded section of the mounting bolt on the swingarm/frame.

So I designed up some spacers and had them made up. Now there is a comfortable amount of clearance and the eye of the shock is supported its entire length because there is another spacer just for that purpose :)

Attachments

• SR_SuspensionSpacersClearance.jpg
    SR_SuspensionSpacersClearance.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 245
  • SR_SuspensionSpacersOn2.jpg
    SR_SuspensionSpacersOn2.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 237
  • SR_SuspensionSpacersOn.jpg
    SR_SuspensionSpacersOn.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 219
  • SR_SuspensionSpacers.jpg
    SR_SuspensionSpacers.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 223
  • SuspensionChainInterference.jpg
    SuspensionChainInterference.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 232
JadusMotorcycleParts said:
I wonder if other people have had this issue?
The Progressive Suspension shocks I used (originally for a XS650) fit fine with no chain interference, but it did raise the rear slightly so that the rear wheel barely clears the ground when on the center stand. I did have chain guard interference on my Kawasaki KZ440 when I put KZ550 shocks on - ended up cutting out a little bit of the chain guard to clear.

zap2504 said:
The Progressive Suspension shocks I used (originally for a XS650) fit fine with no chain interference, but it did raise the rear slightly so that the rear wheel barely clears the ground when on the center stand. I did have chain guard interference on my Kawasaki KZ440 when I put KZ550 shocks on - ended up cutting out a little bit of the chain guard to clear.
you must be a huge fat person putting the same shocks on a 200lb lighter bike

xb33bsa said:
you must be a huge fat person putting the same shocks on a 200lb lighter bike
Yep. Good thing that the OEM shocks (built back in the '80s) work for you, so you must be some skinny assed little fart! BTW the maximum load limit (on the rear tire) is 456lb and basic weight is 154lb for a load of 302lb - way less than I weigh with gear.

Shit, its been a month since posting anything! Lost of excuses. Best one, I have been working on this distraction...

Will come back to this build this week hopefully ;D

Attachments

• SR250_JadusKit2.jpg
    SR250_JadusKit2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 282
I know that you had been experimenting with 3-D printed side covers some time ago, but I've seen a recent trend with other custom bike builders that you might want to consider - custom leather bags to fit the triangle area. Like here: http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2016/08/29/snipe-yamaha-sr400-old-empire-motorcycles.html

zap2504 said:
I know that you had been experimenting with 3-D printed side covers some time ago, but I've seen a recent trend with other custom bike builders that you might want to consider - custom leather bags to fit the triangle area. Like here: http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2016/08/29/snipe-yamaha-sr400-old-empire-motorcycles.html
you gotta love that no more open triangle !! bwaaahhhaaa !!!
think of the millions of hapless spodes who have ruined a motorcycle and its tune with the stupidity of pods just to get that dumb as dirt open look,now to have a reversing trend eliminating the open tyriangle
priceless ;D

zap2504 said:

I have been keeping an eye on some of these that have been coming out. Some are pretty cool. Very much a personal taste thing though. I would like them on some builds but not on others. Plenty of nice leather workers here in Sweden at the moment though if I wanted to do a collaboration! Anyone?

xb33bsa said:
you gotta love that no more open triangle !! bwaaahhhaaa !!!
think of the millions of hapless spodes who have ruined a motorcycle and its tune with the stupidity of pods just to get that dumb as dirt open look,now to have a reversing trend eliminating the open tyriangle
priceless ;D

I had a feeling it was going to be a fad. It may make sense on some race bikes, but for the street, a little less practical. In saying that, the 3rd harmonic intake bell mouth I designed will require the removal of the air box and relocation of the battery anyway. Ha!

Did some blasting yesterday in preparation for some powered coating :D

What happens to rubber when you blast it? It looks like new again! I'm just going to mask that up and paint the metal with some tough car rim paint or brake calliper paint.

Attachments

• BlastedBars_HeadlightBrackets.jpg
    BlastedBars_HeadlightBrackets.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Blasted_Footpegs.jpg
    Blasted_Footpegs.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 221
I got real stoked to get these pictures from a customer in Spain yesterday. He's not quite finished but I think his bike looks amazing - really nice subtle stuff with an awesome overall look.

Attachments

• CustomerSR_JadusSeat.jpg
    CustomerSR_JadusSeat.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 256
  • CustomerSR250_JadusSeat.jpg
    CustomerSR250_JadusSeat.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 255
Back
Top Bottom