Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

Got the tank back from the painters today and it is awesome. I think he did a pretty sweet job of matching the satin black of the frame, fenders and headlight ears :)

One thing I don't like though is how the Yamaha badges sit on an angle in relation to the bottom of the tank. This suited the bike/tank in its original location, but now that everything is all levelled out it really bothers me. I'm thinking about trimming the screws (so they are only the countersunk head), glueing them onto the bags, then putting the badge on with automotive double sided foam assembly tape at the right angle I want...

Attachments

• SatinBlack.jpg
    SatinBlack.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 275
  • SilverYamaha.jpg
    SilverYamaha.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 291
Also, I think I found my wind shield ;D ;D Jokes.

I think I'll skip one for this build though and design one for the next project - which will be more of a road racer style ;)

Attachments

• WindSheild.jpg
    WindSheild.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 255
Looks fantastic! (not the wind shield though!! :) )

Did you lower the forks internally at all, OR just slide them up in the triple so you can fasten the clip-ons?

Na I didn't lower them internally. I will look at that in another build potentially. In this case the stanchions are just raised though the triples 60mm. Which is the max without causing bottoming issues with the lower triple tree bracket. If you are interested check back through this build to page 38 where I checked to see if the frame geometry would all be ok :D

I think we touched on this in the past... I like the stance with the lower front end and was curious how low you were able to go. I'll note the 60mm when I work on my front end. I'll probably lower mine internally 40mm (ish) and then slide them up in the triple for the final position.

Jadus,
I'm not able to see how the orientation of the YAMAHA badges are in relation to the rest of the bike as it sits on it's wheels or ride height;they are not straight ?

grcamna5 said:
Jadus,
I'm not able to see how the orientation of the YAMAHA badges are in relation to the rest of the bike as it sits on it's wheels or ride height;they are not straight ?
If you click on the image above (SilverYamaha) it will open in a dedicated window. It looks like the tail end of the YAMAHA script is lower than the leading end.

zap2504 said:
If you click on the image above (SilverYamaha) it will open in a dedicated window. It looks like the tail end of the YAMAHA script is lower than the leading end.

You're right zap. grcamna it is a bit of a bad photo to show it but the logo does lean back. At least 10 degrees I would say. I am being pedantic now, but seeing as I have treated most parts (down to every last nut and bolt!) with a detailed eye, I figure why not get the badge spot on as well. After all, I love yammies and it should be straight haha ;D

Why not design a nice emblem your self? Wouldn't be to hard to cut it out of a piece of aluminum with a good laser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleganten said:
Why not design a nice emblem your self? Wouldn't be to hard to cut it out of a piece of aluminum with a good laser.

I did think about doing that but I really like the way these badges look. There is something so 'original yamaha' about them that I don't think I could replicate with a laser cut or CNC part. They would look too custom in my mind, which is something I would like to avoid. Good thought though as it might suit other styles of builds :)

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
I did think about doing that but I really like the way these badges look. There is something so 'original yamaha' about them that I don't think I could replicate with a laser cut or CNC part. They would look too custom in my mind, which is something I would like to avoid. Good thought though as it might suit other styles of builds :)

I think that it's awesome that you are making this bike look very much like a "factory" bike. But yet on further examination very custom... very bad ass "resto-mod" style.

Wow! Epic build, Jadus! I really appreciate it. Everything looks so clean and new. As it should be with projects :)
I loved your style with 3D printing. I myself study printing engineering so your build is inspiration for my future ideas. I started studying it with an idea to somehow incorporate it into motorcycles and you've just done it :D

3DogNate said:
I think that it's awesome that you are making this bike look very much like a "factory" bike. But yet on further examination very custom... very bad ass "resto-mod" style.

Thanks! Yeah that has pretty much been the goal from the outset. 'Resto-mod' is a pretty good description! Something with subtle mods, nothing too extreme and something totally Yamaha. A standard, like Yamaha made before the whole 'Special' styled bikes came along in the 80's. I tried to envision what the SR250 could have looked like if it was released as a standard first - like the XS650, SR500 and even XS750's/850's and XS1100's - before they all got their own 'Special' styling treatment. I think it was a shame the SR250 didn't have the chance to be styled like those original bikes :( I know that this build has a lot of stuff on it that Yamaha would never had done in production, but then I had to make it a little bit Jadus too didn't I?! ;D

Just for reference, here is a better, clearer image of how the tank badge sits in relation to the bottom edge of the tank and the frame rail. I will definitely be placing them in the position I want with the double sided foam tape and just putting the screw heads there.

Attachments

• TankBadgeAngle.jpg
    TankBadgeAngle.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 260
Every one of these bikes I have owned, the underside of the tank has had surface rust on it. With this one, I blasted all that off before taking it to the painter. Then when I got it back, I see that the underside isn't covered! After looking at the other 2 tanks I have, I see that they are not either... Is it difficult to get into the tunnel with a spray gun? Or is it just considered not important? Anyway, I masked this one up and bombed it with some satin black to at least cover the bare metal. Don't know if it will help at all with corrosion resistance, but it did something for my peace of mind anyway! Managed not to mess up the top side with over spray ;D

Attachments

• PaintedUnderside.jpg
    PaintedUnderside.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 249
  • UnpaintedUnderside.jpg
    UnpaintedUnderside.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 273
Ping said:
Wow! Epic build, Jadus! I really appreciate it. Everything looks so clean and new. As it should be with projects :)
I loved your style with 3D printing. I myself study printing engineering so your build is inspiration for my future ideas. I started studying it with an idea to somehow incorporate it into motorcycles and you've just done it :D

Thanks mate. Yeah, lucky for me the product development industry was probably the earliest adopter for 3D printing as it is so beneficial to speeding up the process. Plus, both the last two places I have worked invested in one - so I managed to learn on the job (not hard btw, but a bit time consuming at times).

The process has come so far in just a few years, so pretty soon it won't be just prototypes, it'll be finished pieces that are just as strong, if not stronger than CNC made billet parts. We're pretty much already there with the laser sintering process... Real cool stuff!

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Just for reference, here is a better, clearer image of how the tank badge sits in relation to the bottom edge of the tank and the frame rail. I will definitely be placing them in the position I want with the double sided foam tape and just putting the screw heads there.

I agree with you on the tank badge and good on you for fixing it, if you're like me it would bug you every time you looked at it so best to get it done now. Bike is looking great!

HerrDeacon said:
I agree with you on the tank badge and good on you for fixing it, if you're like me it would bug you every time you looked at it so best to get it done now. Bike is looking great!

Thanks. Yep, its gotta be done!

I decided I wanted to tidy up some of the wires under neath the seat. Even though the side covers will cover it all, I don't want to just cable tie things out of the way. I think I'll just cut up a thin sheet of aluminium that mounts up to the small bracket under the seat (luckily I didn't remove them!).

Attachments

• NeedTray.jpg
    NeedTray.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 254
Some progress with the electrics tray/tidy. Yay. Originally I was going to bolt it to the underside of the tabs, but then decided it would be cleaner if it was up under the frame rails slightly, hence the two mock ups. It was sweet to make it out of 2mm ally sheet so I could just use the snips. Nice and easy. Then a sand and matte black paint. I love button head machine screws too ;D Now you can't see anything in terms of wires from a side profile view.

I don't think I'll tidy the wires up any more than this, as long as there won't be any shorting happening and they are out of the way. Just really want to avoid more cable ties!

Attachments

• ElectricsTrayContext2.jpg
    ElectricsTrayContext2.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 261
  • ElectricsTrayContext1.jpg
    ElectricsTrayContext1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 255
  • PaintedElectricsTray.jpg
    PaintedElectricsTray.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Progression.jpg
    Progression.jpg