Yamaha SR250 - A clean standard build

The right side I am 100% happy with, the fitment is spot on - including the leading and trailing edges and their 'door gaps' haha. Now comes the arduous task of prepping for paint - body filler, sanding, spray putty, sanding, primer, paint ;D

Attachments

• RightSide_Done.jpg
    RightSide_Done.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 357
  • RightSide_Front.jpg
    RightSide_Front.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 341
  • RightSide_Rear.jpg
    RightSide_Rear.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 352
looks nice, are you still planning on producing these?

A tip, buy 2K spray plaster from Hagmans in a can, not a spray can, like a paint bucket. They have it at Mekonomen. It's great to work with and will save you a lot of time and money! I used it during my bachelor project. Straight in soft polyurethane foam without any other plaster and it worked like a charm. You can even apply it with a paintbrush in thick layers and get a good result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eleganten said:
A tip, buy 2K spray plaster from Hagmans in a can, not a spray can, like a paint bucket. They have it at Mekonomen. It's great to work with and will save you a lot of time and money! I used it during my bachelor project. Straight in soft polyurethane foam without any other plaster and it worked like a charm. You can even apply it with a paintbrush in thick layers and get a good result.

Man, thanks for the sweet tip! I was thinking I was going to have to lay a thin coat of filler over the whole surface but that would have been a nightmare to sand even. I will get me some of that instead!

doc_rot said:
looks nice, are you still planning on producing these?

Yeah for sure, but maybe not for some time. Unfortunately will and passion do not equate to funds! Yet ;) I have a pretty good contact for vacuum forming as well, so it will either be finer glass or that, depending on the quotes I get back.

Before any further work on the bike or development of new parts, a rebuild of the 3D printer was needed - long over due. I have no kind of counter of any sort but I can imagine this thing has run for 100's of hours and I have gone through over 8kg of plastic filament in 18 months! Always feels good to get stuck into your own equipment and do the maintenance you should. Nothing like that freshly rebuilt feeling! Hopefully gonna feel that with this bike soon too ;D

Attachments

• PrintrbotRebuild.jpg
    PrintrbotRebuild.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 320
  • PrintrbotMaintenance.jpg
    PrintrbotMaintenance.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 321
  • RebuiltPrintrbotMetalPlus.jpg
    RebuiltPrintrbotMetalPlus.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 336
Shit, got the 'Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.' text, bad sign! If anyone is interested, I wrote a blog post about surviving the Swedish winter here: https://www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com/single-post/2017/02/06/Swedish-Winter-Survival-Tips

I got the riding itch on the weekend and decided to go for a little ride, despite the temperature being -2 :eek: But the sun was shining and we had blue skies, so I went on a wee mission to find this 2K spray plaster from Hagmans at Mekonomen that Eleganten suggested. They didn't have it :'( But they had this other stuff that I decided to give a go. Seems to be alrite, I'll just need to sand and reapply a few times.

One thing I have managed to do though is design the SR stickers completely and order some vinyl cuts in chrome vinyl. I reckon they looks the tits. Suit the bike at least anyway - now I have very small amounts of chrome just as accents in various places of the bike - the way chrome should be used ;) (read, dig at the chopper boys). I ordered a few extra and will chuck them up on the webshop shortly and see if there is any interest for them. I assume they would look cool on the 'big' SR's too ;D

Attachments

• SR_SideCoverStickers1.jpg
    SR_SideCoverStickers1.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 314
  • SR_SideCoverStickers.jpg
    SR_SideCoverStickers.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 306
  • SR_SideCovers1.jpg
    SR_SideCovers1.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 316
  • WinterRide.jpg
    WinterRide.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 318
The sprayplaster you got is, as far as I know, one of the best you can get over the counter in Sweden. The one I was talking about sometimes have to be ordered in advance, which I think I might have forgotten to mention since I didn't have to. Sorry about that. The 2K version I meant will work better than the one you got if you have issues with the current one.

Eleganten said:
The sprayplaster you got is, as far as I know, one of the best you can get over the counter in Sweden.

Yeah it was a shame they didn't have the 2k one, but you are right, the stuff I ended up getting is pretty damn good anyways :D

Hopefully get them shaped up pretty nice next week.

Things are shaping up pretty good with the side covers! After a few nights of sanding and thick coats of that spray filler, they are ready for top coat - hoping to do that over the coming weekend.

I managed to get the covers to fit and attach to the frame really nicely with some small frame clamp brackets and some neodymium magnets - photos to come soon. This keeps a completely flush look on the covers - even if the brackets do show a bit on the frame. Once I get some riding on it I will decide if they stay or not - after all, the bike still looks pretty clean without them.

I have actually pencilled in a date with a photographer friend to take some studio-ish photos of this beast in a few weeks - so I better be damn finished by then! Now that the engine covers are on and the oil filter changed, all that is left is to hook up the carb, tune it, fill her up with oil and crank it. Oh yeah, plus these damn side covers ;)

Attachments

• Cam5.jpg
    Cam5.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 322
I have also been pondering something recently that I thought I could gather some opinions on here...

The aluminium guards I designed and tooled up for have been up on the webshop for a while now and I have only sold one, yes one, to a private person. I have however sold over 20 to custom motorcycle workshops and they love them! Is there something I am missing? Are they too difficult to install for the garage builder? I just presumed most people could bang up a couple custom brackets from aluminium sheet and make em fit. Or are they a bad design?

Anywho, both Reverb Motorcycles in the UK and Unikat Motorworks in Poland ordered some samples last year some time, loved them, then ordered 10 each at the start of this year - you can see them on an old BMW boxer twin, a W650 and a CB750 ;D

http://www.reverbmotorcycles.com

http://1of1.pl/en/

Maybe I need to develop an easily adjustable bracket mounting system for them to make them more appealing?

Attachments

• JadusGuard3.jpg
    JadusGuard3.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 317
  • JadusGuard2.png
    JadusGuard2.png
    643.7 KB · Views: 302
  • JadusGaurd1.png
    JadusGaurd1.png
    722.8 KB · Views: 293
I think the issue mig be that people tend to miss the fact that small scale manufacturing is fairly expensive. If you ask say, 120€ for a non-bolt-on product people will look at other cheaper/easier options. Especially if they don't have a proper garage with good tools/machines. One option I would consider is to offer a to order solution to your fender. In other words, you'll have to drill the holes and sort the mounting brackets for the buyer. Off course this would have to come at an extra cost for the buyer. But I think it might be an option to try out since you don't really lose any money. If you get a lot of response you could get it made as a bolt on product.

Eleganten said:
I think the issue mig be that people tend to miss the fact that small scale manufacturing is fairly expensive. If you ask say, 120€ for a non-bolt-on product people will look at other cheaper/easier options. Especially if they don't have a proper garage with good tools/machines. One option I would consider is to offer a to order solution to your fender. In other words, you'll have to drill the holes and sort the mounting brackets for the buyer. Off course this would have to come at an extra cost for the buyer. But I think it might be an option to try out since you don't really lose any money. If you get a lot of response you could get it made as a bolt on product.

Some good food for thought thanks. Even though these guards cost nowhere near 120Euro ;)

"The aluminium guards I designed and tooled up for have been up on the webshop for a while now and I have only sold one, yes one, to a private person. I have however sold over 20 to custom motorcycle workshops and they love them! Is there something I am missing? Are they too difficult to install for the garage builder? I just presumed most people could bang up a couple custom brackets from aluminium sheet and make em fit. Or are they a bad design?"
Maybe some different marketing? From the 2 posts on your DTT vendor blog it is not evident that you have some universal items, nor does it show the wide range of SR250 parts you carry. Maybe even a posting about your fenders in the fender-specific DTT forum? Mention the universal tank mounts in the tank area? Maybe more emphasis on your web site where you have lots more stuff (and specifics about that stuff)?

That's a really good point thanks Zap. I have been so tunnel visioned that I have failed to see how other people might view Jadus/the parts on offer/the webshop. Sometimes it requires some outside perspective to highlight oversights.

Cheers!

Hi , first time poster here.

For me personally , the mudguard is lovely , and not expensive.

However , it doesn´t have a matching rear counterpart. What is one expected to use on the rear of the bike ?

If it is going to be marketed for the SR people , maybe a matching front / rear kit ?

regards

ChrisSpain said:
Hi , first time poster here.
For me personally , the mudguard is lovely , and not expensive.
However , it doesn´t have a matching rear counterpart. What is one expected to use on the rear of the bike ?
If it is going to be marketed for the SR people , maybe a matching front / rear kit ?
regards

Hi Chris! Welcome to the site! And thanks for commenting. Great point about a set. My thoughts were actually that people could use the guard in the rear as well - like a stubby rear guard under the tail light, or with the tail light attached even. A bit like the ones attached... Yes, all Auto Fabrica, I have a shameless love affair with their bikes/style.

Attachments

• 0000002.jpg
    0000002.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 309
  • yamaha-sr250-cafe-racer-3-625x416.jpg
    yamaha-sr250-cafe-racer-3-625x416.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 2173715edf5e9992930ab834a46e9b72.jpg
    2173715edf5e9992930ab834a46e9b72.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 2d28b9460245f4612e456caa74507f7f.jpg
    2d28b9460245f4612e456caa74507f7f.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,087
Phew, side covers done and dusted! A couple shots... ;D

I also did another round of dyno testing a couple weekends ago with good results - but I'll do a write up on that over on the other thread!

Attachments

• SR250_SideCoverDevelopment.jpg
    SR250_SideCoverDevelopment.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 303
  • SR_SideCoverLeft1.jpg
    SR_SideCoverLeft1.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 307
  • SR_SideCoverRight1.jpg
    SR_SideCoverRight1.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 330
  • SR_SideCoverRight2.jpg
    SR_SideCoverRight2.jpg