Luugo's SL175 Winter Ho-Down

Thanks for the info doods. I'm going to spend tmrw and maybe some tonight cleaning the engine before I get ready to split the cases.
I really didn't want to split them, mostly b/c I'm worried of fucking something up, but Teazer the sage told me it's the best way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be good man. Just start off with a clean engine, a super clean workspace, and take a lot of pics, especially of the shifter drums and legs and how it all goes together. you shouldn't need to remove the gears from the transmission main and countershaft. Get some good assembly lube for reassembly. Make sure everything is clean clean clean for reassembly.

And I might have missed it, but do you need to fix anything inside the
cases or are ya just cleaning and checking everything out?

When you get inside, you will realize just how simple the whole thing si to strip and build. And Yes - no need to pull gears off shafts. Just pull the shafts out and flush them with WD40 to wash off any black sludge.

Hey fellas, getting back in the shop this weekend. Last week or so have been pretty crazy so I haven't gotten as much time to work on this as i want. Anyway, I am in the process of getting the bottom end on this thing all cleaned up.. 30yrs of shit caked onto this thing has made it an all day affair lol.
Ill snap some before and after photos.
I'm ordering up the oil seal kit, gasket kit, and engine bolt kit today. I did have a question, once I get this thing all cleaned up I want to paint the engine. The way I've read to do it is to assemble the engine, tape things off, paint, and then bake the paint on in the oven. The question I have is, should I just put the engine together as a shell to do this? or is it okay to bake the engine paint on with the new oil seals, etc. It doesn't seem like a good idea but as I have never done this before I figured I would ask. Open to any and all suggestions.

When I painted the motor on the 360, i disassembled everything, painted and baked each part, then reassembled. It worked ok but bolting the cases and stuff together chipped a lot of the paint.

With the XL, I did the same disassembly and blasting process, but I reassembled everything and painted everything while it was together. I am going to use the heat of the engine running to cure the paint (when it runs). This way seemed a bit less work, not as much taping and a lot less touch up afterwards.

If you do it this way I would recommend taping off the side case covers and anything you'll be removing for service so the paint doesn't chip.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thanks dude. I like both methods. I may do it the way you did the 360

VHT on the 360 and Duplicolor on the XL. The VHT has been pretty durable so far can't comment on the Dupli yet though

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Hey fellas, another update. I got the engine cleaned up. I'm splitting the cases today. Got the oil seal kit, gasket and engine bolt kit are on the way

47205575b3c49f599313b8fc13071ac7.jpg
f227c075678d4ba13453f58e6305c8b3.jpg
663ebfb1f5efd60e0e4ded2c53f79658.jpg
a88c87acc3e81937f97c59d45bd63472.jpg

Anyone have any tips for removing the kickstart spring?

Got the cases split. Teazer, you were right man. I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm gonna shoot the gear shafts with some WD40, scrub the cases some more and throw some paint on.

I need to get the cylinders honed and I'd like to have the head rebuilt. Does anyone know a place in the PA area that does that work?

After you get the cases spotlessly clean underneath those windage trays, clean the mating faces with acetone and try to avoid spilling any oil on the mating faces to which you will apply a thin smear of ThreeBond, do not forget to put on a cam chain.

How did you think I learned that? Same way you did. Build enough engines you learn a few tricks and amazingly still fall for some of them from time to time.

Hey all, I've had a lot of family/life stuff going on lately. I hope to be back in this project in the next week

My old army buddy is using my shop to rebuild a 73 cb350 I gave him for his wedding

Back
Top Bottom