www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget  (Read 26757 times)

Offline NoRiders

Re: CBX550-Brat/urban scrambler on a budget
« Reply #165 on: Jul 12, 2016, 17:08:56 »
Righto....the front guard was too low, Lord knows how it happened, but I've removed it once again (10th time I reckon) and...ahem adjusted the rear hoop to sit  higher, this has the effect of raising the guard away from the tyre. I had to redrill the rear hole and pay more attention to the slight slack in the mounting, nipping up the bolts with it in the up position.

There's defo clearance now, the rear of the guard sticks out slightly but, ho hum, that's what you get for using used parts. I still like the snub nose and overall style so I'm pleased and moving on to other jobs.

Speedo mount first fit.....I'd like to rubber mount this but just wanted to see how it looks and the angle of the speedo head....happy with it so far :-)

The four holes are for the LED idiot lights, I might paint the ally mount black...not sure about the ally finish? Have to get used to it sitting there as it was bare before.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #166 on: Jul 21, 2016, 18:49:34 »
A week of unbike related busyness has left me feeling slightly peeved. Family stuff is at a peak at the moment and there's no getting out of it. However, on the basis of 'every little helps' I've had my mate, Greg, turn a rev counter mechanism plug out of alloy.

Component parts including the drive housing, Greg made the plug and bolt.

There is an old oil seal wedged down the housing and the plug has been machined so I can wriggle an O ring down there to form a new seal. The housing is hollow, the geared drive shaft has been removed.
The O ring meant a bit of pressure to allow the locking bolt to thread correctly. I used a G cramp my son Matthew made during his Network Rail apprenticeship. Thanks Matt.

And, finally, here it is installed, hope it's oil tight :-/

Thanks for checking in.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #167 on: Jul 23, 2016, 12:07:55 »
Plaiting spaghetti  :-\ that is all.

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #168 on: Jul 27, 2016, 17:16:03 »
A week of unbike related busyness has left me feeling slightly peeved. Family stuff is at a peak at the moment and there's no getting out of it. However, on the basis of 'every little helps' I've had my mate, Greg, turn a rev counter mechanism plug out of alloy.

Component parts including the drive housing, Greg made the plug and bolt.

There is an old oil seal wedged down the housing and the plug has been machined so I can wriggle an O ring down there to form a new seal. The housing is hollow, the geared drive shaft has been removed.
The O ring meant a bit of pressure to allow the locking bolt to thread correctly. I used a G cramp my son Matthew made during his Network Rail apprenticeship. Thanks Matt.

And, finally, here it is installed, hope it's oil tight :-/

Thanks for checking in.
that looks great having the machinist buddy is gold
but you could have gone low profile by deleteing the intermediate part and just capping off  at the base

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #169 on: Jul 27, 2016, 20:35:01 »
that looks great having the machinist buddy is gold
but you could have gone low profile by deleteing the intermediate part and just capping off  at the base

Thanx beeza, I had thought of chopping it down, but liked that it looks like a gidjet with nothing to do  ;) Plus, if I ever feel the need for a tacho.....

Offline xb33bsa

« Reply #170 on: Jul 27, 2016, 21:09:26 »
Thanx beeza, I had thought of chopping it down, but liked that it looks like a gidjet with nothing to do  ;) Plus, if I ever feel the need for a tacho.....
well yeah its cool having shit stickout,but c'mon how could you read into that, that i was suggesting cutting anything down ?
i was only stating that you could have done it clean and simple by just leaving it out (the tach cable receptacle)and capping off the actual hole,thats all

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #171 on: Aug 27, 2016, 18:27:13 »
I'm still here......not quite zero progress since my last missive, but I have been extremely busy or too knackered to venture into the garage.

A job I've been holding back on was sorting the 'lectrics, not my favourite discipline. Anyhoo...t'was my son's birthday recently and by way of celebration I had him over for some scran and to help his old man out on the CBX.

I had a great day working alongside my son and thoroughly recommend it to all who have sons (or daughters), spending time just getting on with jobs is lovely.

Despite me and my dicking about, he duly delivered and I am very pleased to announce I now have fully working lights, indicators, horn, starter motor and an array of idiots lights (when I get them mounted), very pleased indeed, thank you matthewdavies.

I have a video short showing the indicators blinking.....we then went on to make everything work. (Will post it up when I can)

And, in other news, I ran a wet test on the carbs by syringing fuel into the main feed, they overflowed as they should and no visible leaks so far.

I've been banging on about 80:20 and how it's almost there....bollocks is it, loads to do as my job list will show.

Anyway, I'm very pleased and fired up to get on with it....here's to it!

Offline yorkie350

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If it runs ride it if it dont polish it & dream !
« Reply #172 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:08:03 »
Great progress getting made mate , bet its a good feeling getting your young -un helping out even if its only passing ya bits n bobs sure wish I had a little helper haha keep gong mate soon be there specially wiv lectrics done (hate that stuff)
Life's too short to go slow at anything !  unless your re-building ya ride !!

cb350f '72 café racer 
 cb550f '78 Hailwood race rep

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #173 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:34:45 »
..... getting your young -un helping out even if its only passing ya bits n bobs sure wish I had a little helper haha

Thanx yorkie, in fact it was the other way around....me passing him bits n pieces, firing up the soldering iron, finding stuff I knew I had stashed somefuckingwhere etc. He's the electrical wiz.....I'm the grease monkey haha! Good to spend time with him though, and happy to now progress.

Mounted the indicators, secured the fork brace using the s/s spacers my mate turned up for me....upwards and onwards yay!

Just a few jobs to do:

Sort petcock from stock tank to replacement and mount
Paint frame in parts
Fit exhaust
Fit airbox
Re-fit rear guard/light, secure ignition switch etc
Paint speedo mount and fit/connect LED idiot lights
Bind/tape and secure loom
Replace mono-shock bolts

General fettling and sorting of so many small parts/fittings left to do.....

My final topping out will be fitting the chain. :D

Thanks for checking in guys.

Offline Northish

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • If you know what you're doing, you're not learning
« Reply #174 on: Aug 28, 2016, 16:00:44 »
Just a few jobs to do:

Paint frame in parts
Fit exhaust
Fit airbox
Replace mono-shock bolts

The list is getting short!  Bet it feels great to have working electronics.  You guys did a lot!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #175 on: Aug 28, 2016, 16:48:29 »
Thanx yorkie, in fact it was the other way around....me passing him bits n pieces, firing up the soldering iron, finding stuff I knew I had stashed somefuckingwhere etc. He's the electrical wiz.....I'm the grease monkey haha! Good to spend time with him though, and happy to now progress.

Mounted the indicators, secured the fork brace using the s/s spacers my mate turned up for me....upwards and onwards yay!

Just a few jobs to do:

Paint frame in parts
Fit exhaust
Fit airbox
Replace mono-shock bolts

Thanks for checking in guys.

Detailed some of the engine mount bolts under the airbox as well as refitted the filter box/battery carrier. Details, details....rear guard/light & exhaust tomorrow and maybe a cheeky go at starting it  ;)

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #176 on: Aug 28, 2016, 16:49:56 »
The list is getting short!  Bet it feels great to have working electronics.  You guys did a lot!

Ha, yeah, one tick at a time, thank you northish. Electrics bring the bike to life I reckon ...apart from actually starting it of course.

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #177 on: Aug 29, 2016, 18:17:40 »
List:
Paint frame in parts
Fit exhaust
Fit airbox
Replace mono-shock bolts

Getting it done  ;)

Sorting out the loom was time consuming and fiddly, but I got it as good as I can for now. Tank is a squeeze to fit, but I think a bit of fettling will see it right. Had a good day working my way through my job list...seems strange to be fitting parts for the last time.....I hope?

Wiring is now a bit tidier,

Mounted the rear brake reservoir to the battery brace using the brace bolt, just had to cut down the rubber pipe 30mm. Motobatt appears to be working correctly. Had to splice in a new main 30amp fuse as the original had decomposed or I can't find the fuse bit?

Rear guard, lamp and numberplate all installed in it's final position, pleased with how it looks  :D

I went for a start tonight, turns over sprightly enough, but no go  :( I'll check sparks etc tomorrow).

That's it for now.

Offline magazine

« Reply #178 on: Sep 02, 2016, 12:45:24 »
The bike looks great!

Offline NoRiders

« Reply #179 on: Sep 12, 2016, 17:07:23 »
The bike looks great!

Fanx megazine.

It now lives..... :D