Honda CBX550 - brat/urban scrambler project updates

beachcomber said:
That's one fine piece of upholstery - and showing some independant thinking ;)

Thank you beachy....colour swap turned out well enough. The quality of the work is exceptional......turned out by the son of the father......they do work for Williams F1 amongst others. I think it's an investment, I can get away with most of the jobs as an amateur bodger, but upholstery has to be done correctly or it looks shite IMO.
They produced exactly what I had drawn up...a plan and side view plus annotated designer notes haha, a quick discussion, I provided the leather and they worked their magic. Said it was easy to follow my drawings which they prefer to work with.

beachcomber said:
That's one fine piece of upholstery - and showing some independant thinking ;)

Fitted up the freshly painted tank (first rattle can effort....more to go yet) Seat and tank snug up nicely me thinks. My piss-flap idea worked well.

NoRiders said:
Cheers PPC...I was chatting to my son about the 'to do list' last night:

Brake refit
Wheels on - f&r inc pads and lines - bleed
Sprocket/chain on - this will be the last item - topping out.
Paint engine
Paint frame - a quick lick of rattle can gloss black
Seat back from upholsterer
Tank clean and paint - vinegared and first coat painted - decals ordered
Weld rear hoop
Electrics - reposition some stuff - using stock battery/air box - tbc
Headlight mounts and wiring
Speedo mount and wiring - to be done
Indicators and wiring - rears poistioned, fronts to do.
Guards f/r inc mounts - to be done
sundry items.....side stand, detailing etc

Moving on....

Full build thread link down there v v v .

NoRiders said:
Cheers PPC...I was chatting to my son about the 'to do list' last night:

Brake refit
Wheels on - f&r inc pads and lines - bleed
Sprocket/chain on
Paint engine
Paint frame
Seat back from upholsterer
Tank clean and paint - still to finish
Weld rear hoop
Electrics - reposition some stuff - using stock battery/air box
Headlight mounts and wiring
Speedo mount and wiring
Indicators and wiring
Guards f/r inc mounts - front mounts to do
sundry items.....side stand, detailing etc

Got some done today....

....more details in the build thread, link down there VVV .

NoRiders said:
Bleeding brakes...... ???
bleeding brakes should always be quick and easy,childs play
if its trouble you have something wrong in the system function wise or you dint first bleed the master
i say this from experience yes for decades it was trouble doing,for me too, i was as lost as you ,but once the idear of doing the master first set with me its always been a cynch quick and easy on many diff machines

I always use one of these Colin.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-SUMP-PUMP-OIL-EXTRACTOR-ENGINE-OIL-CHANGE-BOAT-YACHT-/151291645466?hash=item2339af4e1a:g:2qkAAOxyOalTYVHl
Its meant for engine oil but works just as well on brake fluid, the only thing to watch out for is if you pump the vacuum up too much it'll suck all the fluid out in about 5 seconds and you have to start again!

unclerob said:
I always use one of these Colin.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-SUMP-PUMP-OIL-EXTRACTOR-ENGINE-OIL-CHANGE-BOAT-YACHT-/151291645466?hash=item2339af4e1a:g:2qkAAOxyOalTYVHl
Its meant for engine oil but works just as well on brake fluid, the only thing to watch out for is if you pump the vacuum up too much it'll suck all the fluid out in about 5 seconds and you have to start again!

Hi Unk, I used a plastic syringe but couldn't get the fluid upwards into the lines using the caliper bleed nipples, I could draw some air/fluid to push backward/forwards. I then used a vacuum pump set up which draws fluid out, problem there was it drew out what looked like old residual fluid. It has a pump setting I think......I'll get there, thanks for the advice.

New repro m/c ordered today.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CBX550FC-1982/part_287743/

We'll see ;)

Still out here, just reading and enjoying your progress

82 Honda CB900C is my first attempt of a bike upgrade

Love your work to date - not a fan of the rags wrapped round the exhaust look though. ;) Just my opinion !!!!

Thank you maynard....hard to tell if anyone is looking in....glad you like what I'm trying to do with the old girl :D

Beachy.....thank you :) .....zorst wrap is my nod to the brat stylee innit...two tone will raise a few questions no doubt ;)

Back
Top Bottom