Looking for Benelli Mojave petcock with reserve.

mr vroom

Just ordered one of those Benelli Mojave knock off tanks manufactured in India from eBay. I will need to find some petcocks and really hope to find one with a reserve setting. Is there a reason all the ones I've looked at so far don't have a reserve? We all run out of gas sooner or later...the seller says the thread size is 1/8 x 1/4...

NOS three pos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ducati-Benelli-Petcock-PAIR-10mm-160-250-350-single-bevel-mojave-/181935548512?hash=item2a5c342860:m:mJhklBhXi25aHttkNojDPAA&vxp=mtr

!B9leJjg!2k~$(KGrHqYOKooEy+jC0Nw2BM6SkL5hvw~~0_12.JPG

Those look great, but the eBay tank seller described the petcock threads as being " 1/8 x 1/4"
The petcock you so kindly linked is listed as "10mm". Doesn't that mean different threads or is he just referring to the hose size? Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Would be best to use some bolts to find out. It also could be NTP or pipe thread as you may know it. I "seriously" would take the tank to the hardware and just try until you know exactly the size.

The Ebay ones are 10mm so start there?

If the tank seller says it's 1/8 or 1/4, those are a tapered pipe thread (NPT, National Pipe Thread). A 10mm would be a straight machine thread and the two are not compatible.

Ok, that's really helpful . Since I see petcocks advertised with a npt description, which size do I look for? 1/8 or 1/4 npt? I assume it is either the larger or smaller size that goes into the tank. ( I know I shouldn't assume) I'm guessing it's 1/4. Thanks

mr vroom said:
Ok, that's really helpful . Since I see petcocks advertised with a npt description, which size do I look for? 1/8 or 1/4 npt? I assume it is either the larger or smaller size that goes into the tank. ( I know I shouldn't assume) I'm guessing it's 1/4. Thanks

Yes I botched the nomenclature "NPT" IS the correct call

mr vroom said:
That would be a good assumption, it's one or the other. ::) If it's 10mm then neither of those will be correct.
1/4NPT has an outside diameter of .540"and is 18tpi. If it is a 10mm pipe thread (something I just learned is real) it has 25tpi, 3/8npt would have an outside diameter of .675" with 18tpi.
none of the 3 are interchangeable.I suggest you find out from the seller which is correct before you go wasting money ordering the wrong ones.

How about a picture of the tank bung(s) or like I said... Take the tank to the hardware and find out.

Perhaps the better question would be to ask how the seller got his numbers. If he measured the actual size of the threaded piece to be 1/4" then it will measure roughly 10mm. Technically, there is no metric NPT. It's usually written at 10mm x 1.0T for taper thread. As Marc pointed out, 1/4" NPT is actually closer to 1/2" in actual measurement.

Sorry to bump a old thread -
The petcock that is needed is this one - http://www.treatland.tv/peugeot-motobecane-OMG-petcock-p/omg-french-01z2351035.htm

10mm x 1mm thread fuel flows out to a 5mm fuel line

any idea if that is going to be enough flow for a motorcycle? There are two petcocks on the Benelli Mojave tank, so you would think that would be enough, but man a 5mm fuel line looks small. I see them used on some older VWs, but that is with a fuel pump, not gravity flow.

I picked up two that look like this from eBay . They work but dont recommend them. One leaks and both requires hammer to turn off/on. And no reserve. Real crap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 678
Since I wasn't sure, I ordered a pair from the seller in India. The threads on the petcocks I received are about 60/100" in diameter. One leaked badly and when I eventually got a replacement, however, it was different threads again ( about 70/100" ) and did not fit. So I ordered a set of 10mm ones from Ebay and they do not fit either. They are about 80/100" in diameter.

BTW, the hardware store had nothing that fit my bung... so I ordered a pair of 10mm one and they came today - They dont fit either. They are about 80/100" in diameter. So the only thing left is NPT. However, do I look for 1/8 or 1/4 NPT? Or will a 1/4 x 1/4 also fit? Really need help here...LOL

Here is the ebay item that does fit, but is so poorly made , I need to replace.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FUEL-PETROL-GAS-TANK-TAP-PETCOCK-1-8-x-1-4-BSA-TRIUMPH-NORTON-AJS-MATCHLESS/171595586318?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36895%26meid%3D0fb03fd1a4934ab6ace6068a2c224710%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D13%26sd%3D171211144891

also pictured is the 10mm one that doesn't fit next to the leaky one from India

Attachments

• PIC2.JPG
    PIC2.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 424
Oh mr vroom, I have done the same thing. I bought the tank seat and taps. Did you ever find a tap with reserve that fits?
My tank was very rusty inside so I have resealed the tank and found it leaked. Ok fixed that problem. Both taps leak fuel and the seat pan had cracks in the weld (Brazing). I believe it is a whitworth thread on the taps? is that right?.
At the start I thought yeah just stick this tank an seat on, how much trouble could it be?

Funny you should ask..how difficult could it be to replace the !$@& pet cocks? At least on my tank ( yours might be different) the seller described the tap as "1/4 X 1/8"

So far I've tried
1/4 NPT
1/8 NPT
10mm X 1 mm
1/8 BSTP

None fit. It is a tapered thread, and 1/8 BSTP was close. So I plan on retapping the tank bung holes to a more common thread. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I found the push /pull petcock they do sell tends to leak or clog with the cork gaskets they use. Perhaps you will have better luck than me.

Not withworth. It is a Italian tank and a metric size, just not a common one.
I just ordered a 10mm x 1 mm tap to clean up the threads. Cost under $7 shipped on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought ( and returned ) taps that were 10mm X 1mm because they did not fit. There are a lot of different places making repro Benelli Mojave tanks and I don't believe there are any manufacturing standards. Perhaps the original tanks had the 10mm taps, but mine definitely was not. I never knew there were so many dam threads out there...

Back
Top Bottom