1978 Suzuki GS750 racer project

kiwiguy said:
Just file the top of the valve ;D sweet as!

If I had the right tools here to file/sand the valve shims, I'd give it a try for sure. But I don't, can't ride for a few more months anyway and the shims are cheap enough to wait for. Thanks for checking in kiwi, I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time posting here

;)

I know what you mean. I had a look over the forum when I got back from holiday (enforced Internet ban for the complete family, trying to show my kids there is life without wifi!) and seen some of your questions. Might just have been time of the year mate. Just keep building fella, at least it's snowing your side of the world, we have just hooked into our beautiful summer and I have nothing to ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weasel said:
If I had the right tools here to file/sand the valve shims, I'd give it a try for sure. But I don't, can't ride for a few more months anyway and the shims are cheap enough to wait for. Thanks for checking in kiwi, I feel like I'm talking to myself most of the time posting here

;)

I'm checking in Weasley, but know nothing of these shims you speak of. I fell the same but I'm a newbie.....do what I do...keep doing it and they will come haha!

You absolutely do not want to "file/sand" any shims. You have already done the right thing by ordering more. Patience.

People are watching the build just keep going.

kiwiguy said:
I know what you mean. I had a look over the forum when I got back from holiday (enforced Internet ban for the complete family, trying to show my kids there is life without wifi!) and seen some of your questions. Might just have been time of the year mate. Just keep building fella, at least it's snowing your side of the world, we have just hooked into our beautiful summer and I have nothing to ride!!

Excellent. It's very important to unplug regularly and get the kids busy doing other things. A policy we use around here too.

NoRiders said:
I'm checking in Weasley, but know nothing of these shims you speak of. I fell the same but I'm a newbie.....do what I do...keep doing it and they will come haha!

Much appreciated NoRiders! Yeah we'll just keep plugging along. Lots of down time between packages getting delivered!

DohcBikes said:
You absolutely do not want to "file/sand" any shims. You have already done the right thing by ordering more. Patience.

People are watching the build just keep going.

I almost took a picture of me filing a shim just to get you going but I see you have no shortage of material around here ;D

Weasel said:
I almost took a picture of me filing a shim just to get you going but I see you have no shortage of material around here ;D
HA! I wish you would have, at least one person would have cheered you on.

Those things need to sit niiiiice and flat in there and if you were to make any mistake filing you would increase the risk of premature wear on the valvetrain or even kicking a shim at high rpm.

You may already know this but it is best to measure your new shims, not just rely on the stamps for sizing.

Stopped by the chrome shop today so they could look at the forks. Told me what I was expecting but not what I wanted to hear. Forks are too pitted to save at a reasonable cost. He said I'd be way ahead with a new set at $350 US. Oh well. Might get lucky and find an old set from a bike that was kept indoors. If not, I'll just have to pony up the cash.

Look up franks forks or forks by frank, etc.. They've been in the biz of selling new fork tubes forever.

Can you post the stanchion diameter and full lenghth of the forks from cap to center axle,please, thank you.

On a more positive note, the lowers are back from powder coating. 8)

FBCD8E2D-21EF-4583-9494-DD002637617F.jpg

2B6D5D1D-5F09-4E15-B9DF-02ED2D50D518.jpg

F15BBDF1-301A-4EE4-9C49-46F3C4AF33D1.jpg

canyoncarver said:
Look up franks forks or forks by frank, etc.. They've been in the biz of selling new fork tubes forever.

Thanks CC, that name has come up in my search.

DohcBikes said:
Can you post the stanchion diameter and full lenghth of the forks from cap to center axle,please, thank you.

They are 35mm fork tubes, I have them disassembled but I'll try to get you the full length measurement.

Green199 said:
Is there any pitting in the fork travel area?

Yes, and one side was leaking when I bought the bike. I cleaned up the top tube in the pic but the pits went too deep.

90D3A097-8D5F-4FC9-A54D-CD2F7DFE3B4A.jpg

DohcBikes said:
nope thats fine just measure the stanchion then. I want real numbers not internet research thank you

Thanks Dohc. Here's the measurements. First set of pics with cap, second set without. Tape measure is inches on top and cm/mm on bottom.

BF92F657-6995-4039-962E-6251491318FF.jpg

F24508BC-A780-4B48-B42B-53F53DB6F6B9.jpg

DE3F81D5-7267-44AE-9B82-B20AC18689DC.jpg

61A044B5-EA83-4BCE-840B-0AFDC6ABD096.jpg

Yep, I think i do have a nice pair of stanchions that would work for you if you are interested. They have some MINOR pitting between the clamps but NONE below the lower clamp. I'll get back to you by mid week.

From everything I've read, the stock forks from the factory were 35mm OD, 26mm ID and 23" long. These are clearly closer to 24". Guess it's possible a PO put a 1" over set on at some point.

Back
Top Bottom