1976 GMC Motorhome

SONIC. said:
As for slip resistance I haven't given it much thought, but I've never been a shower mat person so I'm not too worried about it

Hopefully you won't have to make a third pan, now that the drain lines up, but if you do your CNC could mill a grid of 3/4" x 1/8" or so convex dimples onto the surface with a small ball-nose.

Gorgeous stuff. I'm excited to see how the walnut takes the varnish.

Yezzir,
I wanted to minimize the places water could sit but otherwise that would have worked well!

SONIC. said:
Good thing I've got plenty of walnut sitting around haha.

Maybe something like this could be your next CNC project!

Attachments

• Sauna.JPG
    Sauna.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 207
Damn that's some work right there!
Awesome.
Maybe in the next one 8)

How's the weight on all the CNC'd laminated Walnut? I imagine it's a bit heavier than your standard fiberglass bathroom paraphernalia, but the aesthetic sure can't be beat!

Thanks dudes, I really need a better camera

Supergyro, weight on the pan is roughly 15lbs I would say.
Not really much heavier than the fiberglass one I based it on.

about 50lbs of sawdust was made from the central part of it!

Also all the countertops will be CNC'd on the bottom to give a sort of web design to keep the strength but cut out a lot of weight.
I honestly think that even after the tile and the wood countertops we'll be just as heavy as stock, since it was all made with dead heavy particle board everything. I used ultra light ply to offset the weight of the cool stuff

The tile is by a company called Sonite. Mosaic resin tiles (needed as light as possible).
When I build a house though.....hmmm

The shower pan is incredible! That is going to be the finest 76 GMC Motorhome ever! Great ideas and wonderful execution!

It's a rolling sales room to display the incredible talents of Mr Sonic. Amazing work.

Got some time last night to get the tile set. Still need to grout, but have to wait 24 hours for the thinset to dry.

After staring at the wall for an hour trying to decide how the hell to cut the tile to fit the crazy shape we had an epiphany.
We cut the exact same wall out of the saved file on the CNC and laid it flat. BOOM easy peasy.

We used resin tile so the only way to cut it is with a band saw, which is a huge pain in the ass because they are so tiny and want to fly off everywhere if you don't do it just right. Anyway that all worked out just fine, took several hours but in the end totally worth it.
IMG_20170322_182311465-1002x1336.jpg

Once we had that laid out we mixed up a bucket of Laticrete 254 Platium and went to town.
IMG_20170322_210158740-1002x1336.jpg

It went pretty smoothly, a little running back and forth to the bandsaw to trim a few spots but ended up working well,
Probably took an hour to the do the big wall and then 45 minutes to do the rest.

And here we sit before grout.
IMG_20170322_224438278-1002x1336.jpg

Finished up the tile work this weekend. Turned out pretty damn good!
Mosaics are a paint in the ass, and the shoulders.

Took about 3 hours to do probably, + all the time waiting between spongings.

IMG_20170325_143836960-1002x1336.jpg

IMG_20170326_124051872-1336x1002.jpg

The ugly grout lines in the corners are getting covered by walnut seating so we didn't bother to make them pretty.
There are 2 spots where the grout lines got a little big, but oh well nothing can be done now. You get into a bit of a fog while laying it haha
IMG_20170326_180237848_TOP-1002x1336.jpg

Back
Top Bottom