74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

If I were you I'd mount the signals on the taillight bracket. I haven't noticed any ill effects from doing so, and in my case I like that it looks factory. The CL arrangement is slightly complicated by the stays on the Triple-A rack, which tie into the taillight bracket, and the CL signal stems, which have an offset locating bolt. For our XL's it'll be a little simpler.

13N4TX9.jpg

I had to shorten the old signals from the 360 to fit between the taillight and the panniers. Chopped a couple inches off and rewelded them together. I removed the original rubber mount bracket and will use the locator pin and one bolt to hold them on. Had to remove some material from the rear facing edge of the mount to account for the curved surface of the taillight bracket.

Original on left, modified on right.

aebb8889ac02e26b5ccaae28e03d586f.jpg

Here it is mounted up. Going to do the second one and put a coat of black epoxy on them since the chrome is junk.

4d8874dbfdaa18bfb1dc42a99ffa8415.jpg

Thanks guys. Here they are painted up and mounted. Pretty happy with the fitment. Just need to find some 6v single filament bulbs.

c110fccdc33040e155056cbbe97c110a.jpg

8f6516dc7a2dd29596bfd78b39c12d66.jpg

Nick. 35 bucks from Spark moto and you can run all your signals and stop tail as 12V. way easier to find bulbs that way.

Thanks. Pops has a bunch of 6v single and double filament bulbs from the Beetle 12v conversion so he's gonna send those my way. I'll probably convert to a full 12v system down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Maritime said:
Nick. 35 bucks from Spark moto and you can run all your signals and stop tail as 12V. way easier to find bulbs that way.

Thanks for mentioning this, I never knew something like this existed and it will be perfect for my XL. Thanks!

Not much to update..finishing up some woodworking projects before I move this back into the shop and finish mounting the panniers.

Been messing with electrical a wee bit. Most everything is working except for the neutral light, turn signal dummy light (works with right side signals and not the left) and horn.

Thinking I may just do a 12v conversion now and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Not to dismiss Sonreir and his products but you could also look at a Reg/Rec unit from a Honda Cub 90 with part # SH570-12 which will do 6v to 12v as well.

firebane said:
Not to dismiss Sonreir and his products but you could also look at a Reg/Rec unit from a Honda Cub 90 with part # SH570-12 which will do 6v to 12v as well.

Thanks. I will look into that.

Here's a pic of the coffee table I've been working on while I've been paying no attention to the XL. Dry fitting the tabletop and panels. Today trimming top to size and adding 1/4" strip border around the edges.

8200cfca245dd9bace56b7e888afbfc7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom