Fender or no fender

djmaynard

Been Around the Block
I was going to cut off the stock fender and come up right behind the seat. Now I'm beating keeping it to keep more chrome. I have aftermarket LEDs for turn signals and for my plate but any thoughts?
65eaf5363362a5ace37a42eeaf85f1cf.jpg

064e8c4424b626e414bf44356a2829b1.jpg

82 Honda CB900C is my first attempt of a bike upgrade

Keep the fender and stock light box.....once you go down this road its a slippery slope and there is no going back......but if you want to ditch it find a decent light / blinkers first so your not just sticking the box on the back

Pry going to at least swap out the lights and see how I like the look. That tail light and signals are just huge

I'd keep it, just shorten it up a bit. the Lucas style tail lights don't look too far off from stock either.

vandito.cb said:
I'd keep it, just shorten it up a bit. the Lucas style tail lights don't look too far off from stock either.
And don't you have one to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas style tail lights often look pretty good as they are a lot smaller than the original. Add some smaller turn signals and trim the fender and you can really clean up the whole look of the back of the bike. Be very conservative with how much you trim the fender. It may look cool being short, but it is a real drag to get your back side soaked just because the road is wet. You can plan on the license plate doing some of the fender duty, but much shorter than stock starts to have big consequences. Here is a Lucas light, small turn signals(you can go a LOT smaller) and a trimmed fender for reference. You could get away with a shorter fender, but you also have to consider the angle of the light. Make the fender too short, and the light will tilt up at an angle and look amateur.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 425
Jpmobius, is that your bike? Talk about a nice bike! Thought that I will shave some off and place the turns on the side and paint the fender. Not a huge fan of the chrome. Checked it out and if I don't like it, stock fender was under $20 to get another one.

You are going to regret removing your fender if you actually ride your bike. Keep it and find a cooler tail light.

Flugtechnik said:
You are going to regret removing your fender if you actually ride your bike. Keep it and find a cooler tail light.

That's what I figured I do. Tried to remove my front fender this weekend. Drove it to work and after not running into rain the few riding months we've had, I got wet this morning. Got the pretty view of the roosters tail coming off the front wheel.

Front fender is going back on.

i left you a note in your other thread

if you take the rear fender and seat off i want them lol

i am restoring one i need them for

There's a guy selling rear fender eliminators for cb750s and 550s. You could ask him if he could make you one for the 900.

snmavridis said:
There's a guy selling rear fender eliminators for cb750s and 550s. You could ask him if he could make you one for the 900.

On here?

djmaynard said:
Jpmobius, is that your bike?

Not mine, I built it for a client. The build thread is here: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.msg763037#msg763037 if you want to see more pics. The fenders are the stock chrome pieces cut down and painted.

This is what I did to my rear fender

Cut it ⅔ up and made a bracket for the tail light and license plate.
011630564fcc88b7aefab50e5ac9bc96.jpg

Panted it and slapped a new seat

6ca1724d75a6adae1fb78049ede02389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That fender looks to be in nice shape, why don't you pick up a rattier one shorten it instead and keep/sell the good one?

P.S. That is the nicest ass I have seen on an RD350, looks fantastic! Many of the seats that end with just a tail light bolted on look unfinished to me and this concept might look great on your 900. Since it is a bigger bike, the Lucas light would look even less conspicuous.

Back
Top Bottom