Cheap eBay shocks.. Yay or nay

CaferacerMO

Been Around the Block
Does anyone have experience with these?
Now before I get the typical "don't cheap out" "that's eBay Chinese crap"
I get that.
But this is my budget..
So I'm looking for some opinions from anyone that has had experience with these, or has heard anything about them.
1eafb8c1c7ba021bd906b249ccd92330.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read a few stories of people having the eBay China shocks blow out while riding. No first hand experience with them, though.

I used them on a CB360 and they were fine. I did sell the bike before I put 1,000 miles on it.

I would use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Check out Chris @ http://chrislivengood.net/wp/

I have these shocks on my kz900 and they work just fine, have had about 2000 miles on them so far with no issues. Chris will tear them down and properly charge them which is the common problem with these shocks, the inconsistencies.

Attachments

• 20160706_173823.jpg
    20160706_173823.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,172
If I have the time, which normally I do, I scour eBay for a few weeks and get much better used shocks for the same price. If you can squeeze between $80 and $180, there are usually excellent options. I got barely run Hagons from a Triumph Bonneville to put on my CB750 for $150.

WOW, that's not cheap at all!

Can get those shocks direct from China for $5.....
That is about what they are worth.

As I posted in your 185 thread, they work real well after a re-build.
I wouldn't fit them on a big bike as springs are way too soft plus I would never use them straight from the box
I use full travel on my CB360 with a total weight around 500lbs (I'm a fat bastard ;D ) on a heavier bike (over 300lbs) I'm pretty sure they would be bottoming out all the time?

I went ahead and ordered them just because their cheap and worth a shot, I weigh 170 and their going on the TS185 so I don't think I should run into any real problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are a short travel shock.the extended rod end is how they make them up at different lengths by different length extensions
this limits them to one shock for all a short travel one
its good for the maker less parts in the bins
its bad for the buyer
having a shock with an inch or two travel LESS than what you could have means a LOT stiffer spring rate is required
its just not a good way to go if you care about the ride quality of the suspension you have ,thats all

XB, the spring is way too soft for any bike over 300lbs, even screwed down all the way on adjuster

There are three spring rates available. The travel is indeed a little short on them, but the shortest commonly used model (320mm) can be made to have around 3.2" of travel, which is sufficienct for just about everybody.

Ah, it's you I was thinking of for shock mods
Few years ago, just for 'shits'n'giggles' I took a Dremel to RFY shock top to see if this would work ;D
'Black' is just a Sharpie but it looks like if I took extra time I could have PJ shocks 8)
Damperbody.jpg

Yeah I've considered building a fixture to hold the shocks in my mill and then mill off the letters and then custom engrave in new markings.

I do have a fixture for machining up the eyelets though. Spherical bearings make a big difference!

afj0zw8.png

A lot of the parts on these shocks are pretty decent, actually. It's the assembly process that lets them down.

Enter this guy:
http://chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-rebuild-service/

You can have an inexpensive set of shocks tuned up to work quite well for only a few extra bucks.

One limit I think I see to these RFY shocks is getting the correct height and travel. For example, my CB360 has a stock eye to clevis length of 13.5" or roughly a 340mm shock. BUT, the correct shock for my bike's weight (according to CLmoto) would be RFY's 320mm. I'm not sure how one would work around this issue, but maybe your ride falls in the zone for a given shock.

Does anyone know how they deal with this issue, or if there is a workaround?

Supergyro said:
One limit I think I see to these RFY shocks is getting the correct height and travel. For example, my CB360 has a stock eye to clevis length of 13.5" or roughly a 340mm shock. BUT, the correct shock for my bike's weight (according to CLmoto) would be RFY's 320mm. I'm not sure how one would work around this issue, but maybe your ride falls in the zone for a given shock.

Does anyone know how they deal with this issue, or if there is a workaround?

I try to keep a small stock of both 7mm and 8mm springs on stock and will exchange those with a stock set for a minimal fee. It's a tough situation to manage (hence I charge a fee), but it has worked well overall.

I'm looking at some shock options as well, did you see these? -

http://www.tecbikepartsusa.com/Classic_Japanese_Motorcycle_Shocks_s/1829.htm

From a company called TEC, and from what I can tell they're a good alternative to the RFY shocks

Back
Top Bottom