72 CB350 For the Daughter

Took some measurements and to push the rearsets out enough to clear the exhaust I am looking at 2". I think a custom bracket is going to have to be made, but just holding things in place it will be super close to not having enough clearance for the swing to move without hitting the bolt that hold the peg to the bracket. I am not the first person to need this. I found this pic on this site. If you look just aft of the foot peg there is a bracket like what I need.
index.php

Now onto the starting ussue. Pulled the starter motor out of the bike and hooked it up to the wife's car. I don't think it is good. It spins, but sounds horrible.

https://youtu.be/BZMbnxM-wVI

Found a very good write up on a starter motor rebuild so I ordered a kit this morning and am going to give it a go.

Thanks to jag767 who gave me a very good suggestion for my rearset issue. It might be the easiest solution, but I will have to play around with it. The only issue I could see is the heel of my boots touching the exhaust. Figuring out and routing a new piece of pipe might take some work to get around the brake and shift linkage rods, but looks to be very doable.

index.php

maybe this guy still sells the brackets... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=69674.0

or I guess you could see if a mac 2-1 exhaust would clear and sell your pipes/mufflers on here to make up some the cost.

http://www.mandrelbends.com/mandrel-bends.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw_bHHBRD4qbKukMiVgU0SJADr08ZZuFlKQFjsctvMSWYoyzujjPATQgNBrnwPMZr3BqTatRoCpwjw_wcB

That's where I get my material from fyi

Picked up some flexible pipe on the way home to help with mockup purposes. Routing the exhaust over the top of the pegs won't work. In order to clear the shift and brake linkages the exhaust would be sitting right on my ankle.

Well crap...the seller of the starter rebuild kit just cancelled my order. No reason given. However, they still list one for sale on ebay. I sent them an email inquiring why, but with some sloothing I was able to find their phone number so if I don't get a reply soon I am going to give them a call.

A new rebuild kit is on order so I took the starter apart and got everything cleaned. There wasn't a single drop of grease in the gears. There was only one o-ring and one extremely dried out gasket. So not sure where the new ones are supposed to go.

I have been toying with the idea of putting something on the back of the shocks along the lines of a manufacturer logo. Every time I look at the remote reservoirs they are just so plain looking. Not sure what to do though. I have thought about my initials, but that is about it. The coloring would match the green of the paint and the white background would be clear to allow the aluminum reservoir body to show through.

The new spacer and washer for the rear wheel arrived today. The spacer was a very snug fit both going onto the sprocket and onto the hub. There is no more slop in the sprocket.

Argh...the starter rebuild kit shows that it has arrived in my city, but isn't scheduled for delivery until Monday. I guess I will just have to break out the wood working tools and build a sofa table for my daughter.

Well the starter rebuild seems to have worked. The bike turns over like it is trying to start. Now to figure out why the left carb drips from the overflow tube. I hope the brass stand pipe doesn't have a hairline crack in it.

AND SHE STARTS AND RUNS!!!!

It only took about 5 seconds of cranking and she turned over and ran without any input from the throttle. The idle is high and the choke didn't have any effect, but she runs and all of that can be adjusted.

Figured out why the left carb is leaking out of the overflow tube. There is a tiny hole in the stand off pipe. The hole is so small I can't even see it even with a magnifying glass. I had to blow red food coloring through the rubber overflow tube to even see where it was.

Soldered the pipe and it didn't leak overnight so I am calling that a win.

Unfortunately, the fight continues.
I printed and cut out the tank logos, but when I went to apply them to the tank I had bits of white around the edges and it looked like crap. Printed two more sets and cut them out. While they weren't as bad as the first set they still looked like crap. I think I am going to have to call a buddy that owns a decal shop locally and see if he can print them on vinyl for me. They will be thicker which will leave a raised bump at the edges once they are clear coated over, but I really don't have much of a choice other than having them painted on. Which at this point, since the tank is already painted, might prove to be a bit difficult and would certainly cost me a chuck more money. I really need to get them on today so I can get the tank back to my painter because he is going out of town on Thursday.

A little teaser pic.

Nice, your painter should be able to bury the vinyl in the clear without the edges, if you put the right amount you can sand back the edges without losing the protection of the clear and make them smooth. It takes a few coats but I was able to do it on the last bike I painted. That is going to look good.

Overflow pipes often crack. The usual fix seems to be to get some thin wall copper tube from a model shop and solder it over the original as a sleeve.

Met with my buddy after work and he made me some vinyl decals. I managed to get them on the tank and pretty damn even. I am going to have the wife take the tank to the painter tomorrow morning so he can clear coat it.

She is a runner again. This is straight out of the box starting with no choke. The only thing I have adjusted are the idle screws. Air fuel screws are at 1 turn out and I haven't even touched the timing. Hopefully I will be able to get to that today. She is getting closer. I am supposed to pick up the rest of the painted parts today.

https://youtu.be/GtGS99_7q-Q

Back
Top Bottom