1980 SR250 - Gravel and Backroads Runner

firebane said:
Dude... I just saw your plate. Greetings from Cowtown! Cool bike and perhaps will see you around!
Thanks man! Nice to hear from another local. What are you riding?

firebane said:
81 DT175 right now with a few changes :) Old 2 stroke as per my avatar.
Very cool. I'm a fan of the old Yamaha 2 strokes. I had a '68 250 with a RT3 360 engine in it... my buddy has 2x '73s - a 125 and a 360. I'm hoping to get another, but need to get the SR complete first!

sbruton said:
Very cool. I'm a fan of the old Yamaha 2 strokes. I had a '68 250 with a RT3 360 engine in it... my buddy has 2x '73s - a 125 and a 360. I'm hoping to get another, but need to get the SR complete first!

Nice. I've swapped my front forks over to SR250 forks for a better road bike :)

I spent a few quality hours in the garage working on the SR for fathers day before heading out with the family. I replaced the rear tube, installed the chain, shifter and side case and then rolled it outside for some much needed sunshine. I was able to take it for a short spin around my neighbourhood and was pleased with how smooth it ran. I'll will need to spend more time to tweak jetting, but overall it was very rideable.

After the short ride I got to work shaping the foam for my seat. It took a bit of trial and error with the tools I have on hand, but found that the angle grinder with a 60grit fibre disc worked really well to shape and smooth out the rough cuts I made with a large knife.

Below are some photos of where I ended up with the general shape of the seat... What are your thoughts?

Once I get the remaining items dialed in and I've ridden it a time or 2 I will dismantle it one last time for welding touch-ups, cleaning, exhaust header wrap and paint (frame, brackets etc.) I was trying to upload a video of the bike running but having some issues today.... I will try and post it later.

I think the seat shape looks quite good. If anything, I'd maybe trim a bit off the top to blend it in with the line of the rear fender.

I tend to agree with firebane - the SR does not have enough suspension travel to be a true Scrambler/off-roader so why have the front fender so high? I think it would look better mounted to the fork brace like Jadus did.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys.

Trimming the seat height at the back was something that a buddy mentioned as well... makes sense!

My original plan was to have the high front fender so never really thought to try it low, mounted on the brace. I will see if I can temporarily mount it to the brace and take some photos and post them up.

Much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

High, Low or No fender?

Clearly having no fender isn't terribly practical, and the low fender is VERY close to the tire and doesn't provide much clearance for debris. That being said, I think I prefer the low or no options over the original high fender.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• file2.jpeg
    file2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 318
  • file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
  • file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 345
The low looks 100% better and it will still provide debris coverage. Also where did you get your rear light from? Ebay?

firebane said:
The low looks 100% better and it will still provide debris coverage. Also where did you get your rear light from? Ebay?

Thanks man. I got the tail light from some dude in town, off Kijiji. It wasn't ideal but did the job and will look better once I've painted it. I had to make some brackets to make it sit correctly and still be able to mount the license plate.

In the first few posts you posted a simplified wire diagram but it's not available because photobucket did a thing, can you post it again?

Hi Burkejt1,

No problem. This change with Photobucket is a real pain in the a$$...

I removed the safety switches, the front gauge lights, replaced keyed ignition with push buttons under the seat and replaced the stock batter with a Shorai.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• yamaha-sr250 wiring diagram - simplified_zpswhphvivu.JPG
    yamaha-sr250 wiring diagram - simplified_zpswhphvivu.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 524
Back
Top Bottom