www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Ugly Punx XV1100  (Read 8674 times)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Re: "Vicious" Ugly Punx XV1100
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2016, 23:28:26 »
Just finished installing and bleeding the brakes, and wouldn't you know it I got some on the front rim. Going to have to respray a portion of it. Thinking of painting the silver parts of the tank and rear fender while I am at it.

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2016, 23:35:27 »
Just finished installing and bleeding the brakes, and wouldn't you know it I got some on the front rim. Going to have to respray a portion of it. Thinking of painting the silver parts of the tank and rear fender while I am at it.

Sometimes you have to slowdown to go fast... Grasshopper  ???
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #47 on: Nov 16, 2016, 23:59:18 »
Haha yep. Should have put more rags around the rim.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2016, 16:50:42 »
Just changed the fork oil and added the 10psi. I stepped up to 15w from the recommended 10w as I am 105kg and from all accounts 10w would be to soft.

Lucky for me I had a friend who had a 17mm hex key, I would have been stuffed otherwise.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #49 on: Nov 19, 2016, 17:12:13 »
Took her for a shake down ride yesterday, I need to make a bung to replace that o2 sensor on the rear pipe as it contacted with the ground. I expected that at least I know where the low point is.

Also forgot I had to wire in the front brake switch before I put the headlight back on. I will have to buy some mini blade terminals before I can wire it on.

Made a bracket out of alloy bar for the front indicators to mount to, not great looking but there will be a tool roll to mount and cover it yet.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2016, 01:21:35 »
Couldn't find anything to replace the o2 sensor with so I removed the core and planned on welding it up.

Then I ran out of welding wire....

So, in usual fashion I thought about other ways to plug the hole instead of buying more wire.

I tried a bolt but I couldn't get a thread as the ceramic core was chewing it up.

So I took a step back and noticed my fishing box... 

Final solution was using old lead sinkers of the right diameter to plug the hole and beating them in with a hammer. 1 medium sinker for the external and 3 for internal. If the exhaust gets hot enough to melt the lead I think I have bigger issues.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2016, 18:38:17 »
The more fuel I run through the engine the more crud collects in that massive fuel filter. Looks like that will stay on for the first couple of tanks before I upgrade to the small style.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2016, 23:08:43 »
Nice job Brodie.  I dig that pipe you made too.  Bars would change that look alot.  Somewhere 8" or even 12" narrow zeds would look the part.  Would love to hear that pipe rev.
--
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
The Shovelhead springer chopper
A bunch of KZ's...some Suzukis', and a disassembled CB550
--

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #53 on: Nov 22, 2016, 00:35:04 »

Sounds great.

Not sure about the smoke though.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #54 on: Nov 22, 2016, 05:16:02 »
I haven't given people much insight into this projects direction.

I have no idea what definitive style I am after. I do know what I want. So the easiest way to get some direction from you lot is to describe what I am after. As far as I am concerned I am now starting with a strong base point that I know runs well and is in good condition.

Wants:
To be able to haul a decent amount of gear. Such as a carton of beer as well as a small tent and a overnight bag.
A comfortable long distance bike.
Good reliability.
Able to have the occasional passenger.
Stand out from other bikes of this style. I don't people to see another virago.
Less gap between the rear fender and tyre. Be it new shocks or fender.

Do not wants:
Bling Bling chrome. These bikes come with far to much of that to begin with.
Poor handling.
Uncomfortable riding position. I am 6'1 and 225lbs, with a stocky build. Not fat, but not fit. I don't want to be cramped up. Current seat already pushes me a bit to far forward.

Any input is much appreciated.

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #55 on: Nov 22, 2016, 07:57:11 »
Dechrome as you go bud, look at Corbin for a seat that gives you some height and position should be able to go to a Harley shop and sit on them all... the Heritage has a close ride position so maybe fit with that in mind... a crash bar with highway pegs is a must for long haul and a set of rag or leather bags for camp supplies is awful nice and can be removed for town rides or DD riding.

Don't know if its possible but a 20" front tracks really nice out on the road also... run a tube up front, I find they blow slower and less chance the tire comes off  :o ... Most important... don't do anything that takes more than a weekend to complete or it may be a month before you ride again  8)

Custom Virago seat on eBay

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2016, 08:01:06 by Tune-A-Fish© »
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2016, 22:09:11 »
Painted a few more things black. Shocks and cam gear covers. Slowly starting to look the part.

I think new bars are in order.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #57 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:25:21 »
Been a while since an update.

But she is on the road as of today. Also running very rough. I expected this and have no doubt I am be cleaning the carbs again shortly. I also just ordered a new set of intake boots as I finally decided to stick with the twin carb setup. Not necessarily the two on it but that is in the future.

So I had to replace the exhaust with the dual pipes it came with as the one I welded up gave me no clearance when turning. Still want different pipes but I am thinking a cone on each side might be the go.

I have also been quite inspired by the HCM XV1100 build and would love to take this bike in that direction once I iron out the issues.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #58 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:28:20 »

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #59 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:00:17 »
Nice work on the ol' Virago. You contemplated a single carb intake, which honestly you'd totally regret. If you're unhappy with the stock carbs, I am running VM38s on my TR1 and they are the dog's danglies. There's a 2in1 throttle cable for VM carbs and XS650-throttle-grips, which bolts up straight away and you'll need some new inlet manifolds UNLESS you skip the VM38s for TM38s as these are available with a throat in stock-carb outer diameter.

I have to admit I do like Hageman's Vinrago, but I think it would be very hard to build something along the same lines, which a) wouldn't be a blatant copy or b) look right. But then, that's what's called a challenge, right?

Cheers,
Greg
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571.msg856144