www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Ugly Punx XV1100  (Read 12362 times)

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
Re: "Vicious" Ugly Punx XV1100
« Reply #70 on: Feb 25, 2017, 23:10:21 »
Think I need to buy a carby rebuild kit.

Everything runs well at low throttle. Once I open her up she spits and dies.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #71 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:44:15 »
This bike is giving me hell with the carbs.

I have been through them again and used a can of carb cleaner on each, every passage way has to be clean yet still issues with them.

Going to try the 3k sync someone on VTF suggested and see if that makes a difference.

The rear cylinder is currently shooting flames every few cycles.

And I am supposed to be going for a ride tomorrow morning...

Ohh and I installed the new carb boots which made no difference. Starting to think it might be the TCI.

I have seen C5 ignitions system for this bike and it is on the wish lift for sure. Replaces the TCI with an optical and digital controlled which runs off the cam gear. Combined with a VOES and it has timing advance. But way to expensive for me at the current time.

Also, I hate these carbs

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #72 on: Mar 05, 2017, 00:37:33 »
Still hate these carbs.

Went for a 100km ride today through the mountains with a few blokes from work. We had a CBR600RR, a GSXR1000 and a CBR1000RR followed by my XV1100. She couldn't keep up needless to say but that was always going to be the case.
I am missing a fair bit of metal off the bottom of the foot pegs from all the corners and know for sure that this bike has more power to give once I find out how to get at it.

So to be able to go for a ride I wound the rear AF mix screw out to 3 turns and the front was at 2.5, that was enough to get her to stop spitting but if I remove the air filter she will loose all power. So I am thinking it is running lean but am yet to check the plugs, which will probably be of no use as I was going through the rev range so often.

I am still thinking about building a higher sub frame and mounting rearsets.... but I think an ultrasonic clean and jet kit is in order well before that.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2017, 03:53:48 by Brodie »

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #73 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:38:23 »
My fuel pump died. I opened it up to look an it was very crusty, rubber seals had gone hard and rotten.

I ordered a new pump and will look at mounting it in a different location.

Also I wired up the Acewell 2835 gauge I had sitting on the shelf I had forgotten about. Took a bit of tracing on the XV's wiring diagram but it all works. Still need to mount the sensor for the speedo.

The XV1100 has it fuse box located behind the stock idiot lights and it a bit of a pain to get at so I have ordered a new fuse box to replace it. Whilst I was looking at the wires I found that although I had an ignition fuse wired in from the fuse box harness there was never any connecting wires to the main harness, so I have been able to eliminate that 4 wire plug as the other 2 wires only provided illumination to the old cluster.

More to come soon, for now I need to replace the fork seals that I botched when installing so they stop leaking on my shed floor.

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #74 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:40:32 »
With the symptoms you describe, make sure your cams are timed correctly. Rear cylinder is #1 and front is #2.
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #75 on: Mar 07, 2017, 17:59:11 »
Thanks mate, I will have a look this afternoon and report back. I know the bike was running well before it was parked up and I am still very suspect of the carbs, especially now I have seen what was in the fuel pump which is post filter.

I still think a rebuild kit may be in order.

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #76 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:20:40 »
From what I've read so far: Most definitely. But just check the cam timing, especially the spitting flames out of the exhaust-part, reminded me of some mishaps in my own past with these beasts.  ;)
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline spotty

• Vmax...why,yes i think i will
    • spottys world of vmax (and great danes)
« Reply #77 on: Mar 09, 2017, 01:09:29 »
maybe this is what you need to see off the fail , see greg from the above post re this....

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73141.0;topicseen
short fast loud, three things punk rock and vmaxs have in common

south of the border, down melbourne way

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #78 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:03:55 »
Just out of curiosity I pulled the fuel pump apart on the electrical side and everything seemed find. So I hooked it up to a 12v battery and it started ticking away. Well at least I know it works.

From what I can see in the wiring diagram it looks as if there is a part of the tacho which sends a signal to the fuel pump relay. Since I have removed that I decided to wire it back in as a test, this made no difference so I removed it again.
Then I noticed that the fuel warning light was connected to the relay as well and connected the two wires together and tried the pump again, sure enough it works. What I don't know is if it will continue to work after the initial 5 seconds it switches on for. It is to late to start the bike now so that will have to wait until tomorrow arvo.
I have not checked cam timing yet, it is on the list for tomorrow as well.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #79 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:05:16 »
Ha a turbo would be great but I have that many other issues I need to sort out along with the planned redesign.

I am still kicking myself for giving my TR1 tank to a friend, who would have thought I would want one 3 years later.

As for the rearsets I was given a pair off a fireblade by a mate at work. He had them sitting in his garage for a while and had no need for them. I am going to try and adapt them to fit as mid pegs instead of the stock towards.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2017, 07:06:55 by Brodie »