Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

Re: A rather un-remarkable BMW re-fresh.

I found I had to hold the stem onto the injector. But, was able to backwash them.

IMG_1449_zps0ahomg2e.jpg

Comparison shot. Really doesnt do it justice, can was new on the starting shot, pretty low on pressure for the final shot.
But you should easily see a difference.

poor%20spray_zpsfacntwzb.jpg

IMG_1452_zps3iy98byk.jpg

As luck would have it O-rings, grommets, vac hose and new brackets arrived from bobsbmw.

New fuel line should arrive by weeks end.

IMG_1456_zps4dodiirc.jpg

Gonna run better than new!

Now you have me wondering about my six injectors (two K75s) . . . But both bikes run well, good gas mileage, good idle . . . I'll try to think about something else ;)

cookiemech said:
I'll try to think about something else ;)

Good luck w that. ;D

The beauty is the simplicity. This is something that could be done every spring during tuneup.

Now that I know, I could have em out, cleaned and reinstalled in 20 minutes, give or take.

Nice and fresh in there!

Seeing the fuel pressure regulator in there (behind the airbox) reminds me that if you should, at some point, start seeing gasoline in the oil (rising oil level), the FPR may be the culprit. Just a minor tip.

cookiemech said:
Nice and fresh in there!

Seeing the fuel pressure regulator in there (behind the airbox) reminds me that if you should, at some point, start seeing gasoline in the oil (rising oil level), the FPR may be the culprit. Just a minor tip.

Thanks for the tip. Hows it getting in the oil? Increased pressure pushing it through injectors?

Aren't you glad we're all loaded with cash? One less trip to the strip club, and you'll be okay.

trek97 said:
Thanks for the tip. Hows it getting in the oil? Increased pressure pushing it through injectors?

No. There's a vacuum diaphragm in it; if it develops a pinhole the vacuum pulls the gas in through the intake and washes down past the rings. At least that's how it was described to me. I had that occurring years ago when I bought my low-mileage K75; oil level was rising and an oil analysis showed significant gas in the oil.

irk miller said:
Aren't you glad we're all loaded with cash? One less trip to the strip club, and you'll be okay.

Pretty much all the parts for these bikes are very expensive now. I don't like it, but prefer it to the alternative, which is NLA.

I was recently thinking about acquiring a 1979 KZ750 twin, but after looking at the non-availability of most parts passed on it . . .

Oh yeah, the fact that BMW still makes snowflakes says everything you need to know about availability of parts.

Theres quite alot of parts no longer available for these K bikes. :p Or priced so high, no one w any sense will pay up.

Pretty much all but a few specific nuts and bolts, are available. Through MAX BMW, all but like 6 parts are available. I guess it depends on what you need for the price to be obscene. Something like a starter is insanely priced there ($450), but DB electric sells one for $150.

Found a decent deal on a Gunson Gastester..

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-20%20at%208.42.29%20PM_zpsao4z3jxb.png

I have one of those, bought many years ago in an attempt to set up the FI on a 1979 BMW 733i (auto). Oddly enough, the FI on that car was very similar to that on a K75 (L-Jetronic without Lambda). It was never clear to me how accurate it is. But perhaps I didn't spend enough time understanding its operation.

That was a wonderful car with an absolutely shitty engine. Bought it for $1000 because an incompetent tech had failed to tighten the pressure plate to the flywheel properly after a clutch replacement; bolts sheared and the car was dead on the water. (I dropped the trans, replaced and tightened the bolts, and it worked just fine.) It had a near-perfect body and was built like a tank. What would have made it near perfect would have been a small block Chevy transplant with an auto trans. Too big a job at the time, but I sold it for $2500 . . .

I bet it was a nice car. Never owned a BMW or Mercedes. But have driven a few and IMO the BMWs always seemed to be nicer machines.

Yeah Im not real sure about this tester, either. I was considering a second cheapy exhaust system and installing the O2 sensor on it.
But at $125. It cost about the same either way. (Amazon has it priced at $240.00) And this just seems like a whole lot less effort. Feeling lazy this morning. Ha.

Not to mention, this follows BMWs procedure for setting it up.

Not sure what you mean about installing the O2 sensor . . . K75s don't have one . . . or have you figured out a way to add Lambda feedback to have a closed-loop system (L-Jet w/ Lambda)?

Some years ago I rebuilt a 1968 M-B 280S (full-size sedan). I would say that the M-B seemed more stately and luxurious than the 1979 BMW, but the BMW (and the only other one I have driven) were much "tighter" and more sporting. Probably neither of my impressions are valid for modern incarnations of those cars.

But "nice" cars are an order of magnitude more expensive than "nice" motorcycles, and I don't really have any desire to drive any car in pleasant weather (that's why they make motorcycles) nor a nice car in foul weather, so the only car and pickup I have nowadays are Japanese-nameplate ones. Excellent appliances.

I installed dual o2 sensors w digital display. Simply to receive real time mix info from carbs on my 76 cb360.

I would go for a ride and see what the air/fuel mix was through out rpm range and driving conditions. Then would make jetting changes til I got her right.

Made tuning simple and fun...as opposed to miserable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_sVj0Goupoo

Holy cow the Gunson arrived in record time. :)

IMG_1470_zpsvisfgoeu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom