Ace race replica complete

mcilduke

I have finally completed my replication of a 1960's Honda race bike.

I have only done a 144 kilometres on it since I bought it new in June of this year.

The biggest challenge was converting the disc brake to drum. Also getting the fairing to fit.

Jimmy.

Attachments

• ace new 1.JPG
    ace new 1.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 413
  • ace new 6.JPG
    ace new 6.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 426
  • ace new 11.JPG
    ace new 11.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 369
  • ace new 10.JPG
    ace new 10.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 375
  • ace new 9.JPG
    ace new 9.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 368
  • ace new 8.JPG
    ace new 8.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 989
  • ace new 7.JPG
    ace new 7.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 399
  • ace new 5.JPG
    ace new 5.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 339
  • ace new 4.JPG
    ace new 4.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 339
  • ace new 3.JPG
    ace new 3.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 344
  • ace new 2.JPG
    ace new 2.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 360
Hi Jimmy,

Excellent work and bike looks very good. Where did you source your fairing from? Is that a Northern Irishplate on it,or a personal one? Compared to mine, your fairing sits significantly higher, as I have my clip-ons set quite low - & Still find the seating position fine, and I'm 6"3 " !

Did you forego the headlight as I can't see it! With mine, I take the fairing off for the MOT as it is a faff to secure the headlight.

- Excellent choice and I'm sure that it will give you alot of pleasure as well as getting alot of attention. I include some pictures of mine for comparison.
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

Absolutely beautiful and a credit to you. Love to hear the story. Too often the journey is forgotten and we only have the destination. I've no doubt you have a raft of gems that others can draw on as we tweak our machines.

Well done Jimmy, looks really super. Welcome to the every growing band of faired Aces.

Good work Jimmy. I like those red front forks and the drum brake look.

HerbertD said:
Hi Jimmy,

Excellent work and bike looks very good. Where did you source your fairing from? Is that a Northern Irishplate on it,or a personal one? Compared to mine, your fairing sits significantly higher, as I have my clip-ons set quite low - & Still find the seating position fine, and I'm 6"3 " !

Did you forego the headlight as I can't see it! With mine, I take the fairing off for the MOT as it is a faff to secure the headlight.

- Excellent choice and I'm sure that it will give you alot of pleasure as well as getting alot of attention. I include some pictures of mine for comparison.
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

Hi Herbert.

Many thanks.

I bought the fairing from BB Plastics in England. It was advertised to fit a 125 Honda. But it was too small and I had to fettle it to ft. I have my clip ons as high as I can get them. Where did you get your fairing from? Your bike looks class.

Yes that is a Nr. Ireland number plate. I don't have any lights or indicators on it at all, not even a brake light or reflector. I have it on a day light only MOT. For a daylight running MOT we are not allowed lights of any description on the bike.

Jimmy.

Sneikz said:
Absolutely beautiful and a credit to you. Love to hear the story. Too often the journey is forgotten and we only have the destination. I've no doubt you have a raft of gems that others can draw on as we tweak our machines.

Many thanks Sneikz

Jimmy.

2b said:
Good work Jimmy. I like those red front forks and the drum brake look.

Chopping the caliper brackets off and Painting the forks was the easy bit. I bought the wheel brand new from EBay complete built with drum, shoes and spindle. I then had to find the right brake and speedo cables to fit it. I had to weld an alloy block onto the right fork leg to act as a brake anchor.

Jimmy.

Attachments

• leg 3.JPG
    leg 3.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 329
  • leg 2.JPG
    leg 2.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 319
  • leg 1.JPG
    leg 1.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 306
HerbertD said:
Hi Jimmy,

[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

Hi Herbert.

I bought the faring from BB Plastics. it was supposed to be for a 125 Honda, but I had to do a bit of fettling to get it to fit. Yes that is a Nr. Ireland number plate. I don't have any lights whatsoever on the bike not even a brake light or reflector. It is on a daylight MOT, and you are not allowed any lights of any description on it.

I restore old British bikes mainly BSA Bantams and the odd Triumph Tiger Cub. I also have a 800 Suzuki Intruder. These are my bikes that I have restored for myself. The Suzuki is 2013, the silver and black Cub is 1961, the green bantam is 1954, the red one is 1965, and the blue bantam is 1968 Check the pics.

Jimmy.

Attachments

• IMGP1904.JPG
    IMGP1904.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 001 - Copy (27).jpg
    001 - Copy (27).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 309
  • IMGP2457.JPG
    IMGP2457.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 296
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
Hi Jimmy,

The pictures of all your other bikes are a credit to you. My fairing was also sourced from BBplastics, though it took alot of preparation to get it to a smooth finish.

Is the front drum brake more effective than the standard disc? It looks similar to a Honda c90 type, which was fairly effective, and at least you won't suffer from the Ace warped disc syndrome!

HerbertD said:
Hi Jimmy,

The pictures of all your other bikes are a credit to you. My fairing was also sourced from BBplastics, though it took alot of preparation to get it to a smooth finish.

Is the front drum brake more effective than the standard disc? It looks similar to a Honda c90 type, which was fairly effective, and at least you won't suffer from the Ace warped disc syndrome!
[/quot

mcilduke said:
HerbertD said:
Hi Jimmy,

[/quot

Hi Herbert.

I can't tell if the drum is better than the disc as i have just completed the change over and I haven't had time to get out on it. The wheel is for a Honda CG 125 I bought it off EBay. The guy has still one for sale EBay number 221914835545

Jimmy.

Back
Top Bottom