Montreal Manchild with an '81 Honda CB750K

I didn't go far enough back in your thread. My explanation applies to having a separate LED that you install yourself. I have a single blue LED in the top of my headlight bucket for neutral, for example. Still applies to the concept of how they work though.

If nothing else the last few hours have driven me to drink.

Not a total loss then.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Ha, sorry I wasn't on last night but you are getting there. hot = (+)ground = (-) and from the instructions you need to swap the (+) and (-) on the oil and neutral as they work different. so on those 2 put the + side from gauge to the ground(-) and the (-) side from the gauge to the neutral and oil (+) on the harness and they should work.

Yo yo yo - looking a bit ghetto but think I've got this working now -

Found this online as a step by step, wired it all up and now the neutral light and oil light (along with working high beam and gauge illumination) all working. Have a diode to wire into the indicator wire - as yet the indicator light is not coming on but I hope that'll fix it.

In case anyone's following this thread and has come across the same snafu with the wiring as me here's the walk thru -

Thanks again for your help one and all, turns out wiring is not my strong point

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Yep the diode will fix the indicator if I remember correctly when a single LED is used for both it needs a diode to prevent back feed and flashing all 4 lights like hazards instead of L/R with the dash light blinking.

Had a friend come over last night who helped me wire up the tail light and indicators - turns out I'd blown a bunch of fuses in my foiled attempt to do it myself. "Try - fail. Try again - fail harder. Try again with someone with a multimeter, soldering iron and electron-manipluatin'-know-how.....

...win"

In other developments however, turns out that the stripped cam chain tensioner bolt thread that I knew about but was quietly hoping would heal itself, hasn't. Hoping that my mate will come up with a fix that won't involve removing the engine from the frame to install a helicoil or time sert or whatever. Anyone got any suggestions?

To recap, the thread is totally stripped, meaning the bolt that keeps tension on the tensioner is literally just sitting in the hole in the head - no tension on the tensioner at all.

The Jimbonaut said:
Had a friend come over last night who helped me wire up the tail light and indicators - turns out I'd blown a bunch of fuses in my foiled attempt to do it myself. "Try - fail. Try again - fail harder. Try again with someone with a multimeter, soldering iron and electron-manipluatin'-know-how.....

...win"

In other developments however, turns out that the stripped cam chain tensioner bolt thread that I knew about but was quietly hoping would heal itself, hasn't. Hoping that my mate will come up with a fix that won't involve removing the engine from the frame to install a helicoil or time sert or whatever. Anyone got any suggestions?

To recap, the thread is totally stripped, meaning the bolt that keeps tension on the tensioner is literally just sitting in the hole in the head - no tension on the tensioner at all.

Hmm, that may be tough to fix without removing the head unfortunately. A helicoil is going to be your best bet since you can reuse the OEM bolt, but being that you'll have to drill the hole out to install the helicoil you will always run the risk of some metal shavings getting into the motor.

Is it possible to remove the head with the engine in the frame?

As I'm asking that question I'm quietly dreading the answer...

Some hondas you can, some you can't should say in the manual. You could tap the hole one size larger if there is enough metal and if you use lot of grease on the tap and are careful you can keep metal out of the motor, issues would be finding the right bolt to do the job in the +1 size. Another option is to go the next imperial size and you might get away with it if there is not enough metal.

Maritime said:
Some hondas you can, some you can't should say in the manual. You could tap the hole one size larger if there is enough metal and if you use lot of grease on the tap and are careful you can keep metal out of the motor, issues would be finding the right bolt to do the job in the +1 size. Another option is to go the next imperial size and you might get away with it if there is not enough metal.

After going back and looking at the bolt you are going to need a helicoil or timesert to fix that. you need the o-ring groove on the bolt.

Can the helicoil/timesert procedure be done - carefully - without removing the engine from the frame, or head from the engine?

Yes, google it but the process is to pack your bit with heavy grease, drill slow. clean metal and grease and hole, repeat until done. Step 2 pack the tap for the helicoil in heavy grease and slowly tap. clean as you go. Then insert the coil, break the tang and put the bolt back with a new o-ring.

Well mate that is good news. Kinda kicking myself (as I kinda knew I would) that I didn't address this thing during the 3 months or so that the engine was sitting on my workbench, but hey. No regrets right?

Wrong. I regret that.

My mate here is familiar with the timesert routine, and so I'll dangle a cold pilsner in front of him and see if he bites. Thanks for the pointers man - how's the foot?

OG2hHwW.jpg

LOL, love those two tats! Foot is good, knock on wood it has been almost 0 issue lately. You may want to PM Kanticoy on here because I believe he has the helicoil in a head without metal bits getting in on one of his build threads, He can link you to it. I may be wrong but I think he had to do it on maybe his DR or one of his many other bikes.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll PM the dude and see what gives. Happy to hear the foot is on the mend mate, here's to onwards and upwards

Thanks, Katicoy(Kiley) is a great guy but busy a lot, he should get back to you if he has info on the process. He has built some beautiful bikes and has as wicked nice shop in Alabama I have been drunk in a few times over the years.

Maritime said:
Thanks, Katicoy(Kiley) is a great guy but busy a lot, he should get back to you if he has info on the process. He has built some beautiful bikes and has as wicked nice shop in Alabama I have been drunk in a few times over the years.

Sounds like my kinda guy and my kinda shop

Back
Top Bottom